Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charliex36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
So my iMac started acting slow today. I believe it could be due to a bad file i torrented yesterday. Stupid of me, I know. I've learned my lesson.

Anyway I was curious as to what your opinions are.

Im running a Late 09 27" iMac
3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
OS X 10.9.5
Hard drive was just replaced ~3-4 months ago. 917GB/999 Available

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4101174678
Speed test : 17ms Ping, 17.21mbps download, 5mbps upload

However, my iPhone 5s when connected to wifi gets
19ms Ping, 15.09mbps download, 3.93mbps upload

I feel as though when connected through ethernet it should be faster than my iPhone through WiFi.

This may seem like a stupid thing to some of you, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to macs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So my iMac started acting slow today. I believe it could be due to a bad file i torrented yesterday. Stupid of me, I know. I've learned my lesson.

Anyway I was curious as to what your opinions are.

Im running a Late 09 27" iMac
3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
OS X 10.9.5
Hard drive was just replaced ~3-4 months ago. 917GB/999 Available

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4101174678
Speed test : 17ms Ping, 17.21mbps download, 5mbps upload

However, my iPhone 5s when connected to wifi gets
19ms Ping, 15.09mbps download, 3.93mbps upload

I feel as though when connected through ethernet it should be faster than my iPhone through WiFi.

This may seem like a stupid thing to some of you, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to macs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Seems that your computer has the same speed as your iPhone.
That's the reason you think the computer is slow?

In that case it looks like your speed test is limited by your wifi connection speed, and both your iMac and iPhone are using the maximum amount available from your ISP (internet service provider).

charliex36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
No, I downloaded a file which I immediately could tell was not the file I was trying to download. I deleted it and moved on. However the next day my internet was acting much slower than the previous day. Thank you for your help, I believe i solved the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.