Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
So many apps now require iOS7, but everything I read says that iOS8 on iPad 2 is a bad idea. I'm guessing that since iOS7 is no longer signed by Apple, that my only choices are: stick with iOS6 and never get an app update that requires 7, or update to iOS8 and have performance hit the skids...

Any advice for this predicament?

thanks,

s

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
So many apps now require iOS7, but everything I read says that iOS8 on iPad 2 is a bad idea. I'm guessing that since iOS7 is no longer signed by Apple, that my only choices are: stick with iOS6 and never get an app update that requires 7, or update to iOS8 and have performance hit the skids...

Any advice for this predicament?

thanks,

s

eBay then Apple Store then Home then enjoy :)

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm really surprised the jailbreak community hasn't figured out a way to put older versions of iOS onto already-jailbroken devices.

I mean, once you jailbreak you basically control the entire device and can modify any file. Why can't you replace the OS with another, possibly already jailbroken image of another version?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm really surprised the jailbreak community hasn't figured out a way to put older versions of iOS onto already-jailbroken devices.

I mean, once you jailbreak you basically control the entire device and can modify any file. Why can't you replace the OS with another, possibly already jailbroken image of another version?
I think the different is the exploits.

With the iPhone 4 and below jailbreaks were achievable because of a baseband exploit. I.e., at the firmware level.

No one has found a firmware exploit for the iPhone 4s and above yet. The jailbreaks we have now are using exploits at the system level.

The programming in the firmware is what's preventing a downgrade.

At least this is my understanding of this. I am often wrong and don't know what I am talking about, so someone may be along to correct me. ;)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
eyoungren is very close. The A4 and older devices were downgradable, with signed SHSH blobs, because of a bootrom exploit. The thing preventing a downgrade starting with the 3Gs are the SHSH blobs. Signed valid SHSH blobs are needed to restore, upgrade, or downgrade. If Apple was to start signing iOS 6.0, all devices that support can restore to it without a problem.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
eyoungren is very close. The A4 and older devices were downgradable, with signed SHSH blobs, because of a bootrom exploit. The thing preventing a downgrade starting with the 3Gs are the SHSH blobs. Signed valid SHSH blobs are needed to restore, upgrade, or downgrade. If Apple was to start signing iOS 6.0, all devices that support can restore to it without a problem.

i think he means downgrade by overwriting system files on an already running/jailbroken device.

that would be impressive, for sure, but I think it's too hard to get right and too risky. bricks would be all over :-D

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
i think he means downgrade by overwriting system files on an already running/jailbroken device.

that would be impressive, for sure, but I think it's too hard to get right and too risky. bricks would be all over :-D

That isn't possible anymore. Devices since the 3Gs have hardware encryption that prevents coping data in that fashion. On older pre-3Gs devices it may have been possible, but it has never been attempted and likely for a good reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.