Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helpneed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
Late 2011 15" Mac Book Pro with Intel 2.2GHz Quad Core i&.
OS X 10.9.5
I upgraded the RAM from 2 x 2G to 2 x 8GB today.

Intel Graphics 3000.

Is it safe to play Minecraft and Balck cop.

can I use a Game Mouse?

I had a Game Mouse made by not well known called Aula Varanus. Worked ok for just a month.
When I plugged this USB mouse on my Mac Book Pro yesterday-screen turned black. Icould not boot or SMC reset. After over night, the Mac become bootable in the morning but the Game Mouse is not recognised by the Mac!!
I do not know if any damage done to my Mac?

robk64

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Define safe

You can do anything you want in life, at least once.
Early and late 2011 MacBook Pros have been cursed with a thermal handicap in that after the computer heats up and cools down several thousand times, to either extreme, the solder which is the veins of connectivity, becomes brittle and breaks, rendering the computer dead, or less than fully alive. The smaller the temperature variance, the longer the computer's life, from what I've been following in this forum and others. The main culprit for the higher temperatures is the dedicated graphics card, which is used during graphics-intensive applications (games). Some users have disabled auto-switching, and resort to Terminal commands which force the OS to call on the integrated Intel 3000 graphics only. This tends to keep the temperature down, but at the cost of performance. Others resort to 3rd party fan control software, or going to extremes such as drilling holes in the bottom of the computer for additional air circulation/cooling. Google anything about 2011 MacBook Pros for additional information. The solder in >2012 MacBook Pros is less of an issue, allowing the computer to apparently run warmer/cooler, and can play/run anything. :apple:

helpneed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
The smaller the temperature variance, the longer the computer's life, from what I've been following in this forum and others. The main culprit for the higher temperatures is the dedicated graphics card, which is used during graphics-intensive applications (games). Some users have disabled auto-switching, and resort to Terminal commands which force the OS to call on the integrated Intel 3000 graphics only. This tends to keep the temperature down, but at the cost of performance. :apple:

Thank you for your reply in me understanding.

My Mac Book Pro does not have a dedicated Graphic card. Does that mean the temperature will not reach hight that will be detrimental to the logic board?(Because it has the Intel 3000 graphics-and ?has a cut out point as soon as it reaches a certain set level?)
What do you think?

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
All of the 15 inch and 17 inch MacBook Pros had the ATI Radeon 6750M graphics cards along side the HD 3000. Only the 13 inch had the HD 3000 only.

helpneed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
All of the 15 inch and 17 inch MacBook Pros had the ATI Radeon 6750M graphics cards along side the HD 3000. Only the 13 inch had the HD 3000 only.

OK. I did not realise that. Thank you for your reply
Is there anyway I could stop the ATI Radeon 6750M turning itself on while playing game?

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
radeongate aside, I feel that my 2012 gets hot faster on the hd4000 than the geforce when playing WoW.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
You can game on a late 11 15". I have for years. Games include eve online and various ports like x-com and other steam one play options.

Minecraft will run fine, I have that too. Your issue is time spent looking for mods for mac really tbh.

Your fans will kick in gaming...accept and move on lol.

Some tricks to limit the noise I have found work is to run your game in windowed mode if supported. It reduces load so the fans don't have to work as much best case.

I tend to like this mode since I like to multitask and not play alt tab games so a very workable caveat for me. BUt I usually run my late 11 connected to a t-bolt display most times as well. Windows mode when not on the display is acceptable as well game depending.

Issue with your mouse I can't advise on. I use more known mice and they plug in no issues. My current mouse is Logitech mouse no issues. At work I have plugged in mice that come from dells our shop takes in no issue. You'd probably need to hit up the vendors site to see what support you can get here.

helpneed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
You can game on a late 11 15". I have for years. Games include eve online and various ports like x-com and other steam one play options.

Minecraft will run fine, I have that too. Your issue is time spent looking for mods for mac really tbh.

Your fans will kick in gaming...accept and move on lol.

Some tricks to limit the noise I have found work is to run your game in windowed mode if supported. It reduces load so the fans don't have to work as much best case.

I tend to like this mode since I like to multitask and not play alt tab games so a very workable caveat for me. BUt I usually run my late 11 connected to a t-bolt display most times as well. Windows mode when not on the display is acceptable as well game depending.

Issue with your mouse I can't advise on. I use more known mice and they plug in no issues. My current mouse is Logitech mouse no issues. At work I have plugged in mice that come from dells our shop takes in no issue. You'd probably need to hit up the vendors site to see what support you can get here.

Thank you.
I just got a Logitech G602 Bluetooth Mouse-works well.
The original problem of mine was brought on by the Gaming mouse I was using-It is now clear.

I am happy to learn "Minecraft" you play on a late 2011 Mac Book Prower without any issues.

Thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.