Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With just three months to go until the Apple Watch's April release, Apple is hard at work field testing the device, and hundreds of Apple engineers, employees, and testers are wearing the Apple Watch on a regular basis to help Apple iron out last minute bugs and issues.

Due to the large number of employees testing the device, Apple Watch sightings in the wild have become more common over the course of the last few weeks. On the MacRumors forums, readers are aggregating photos and stories of device sightings, giving us an in-use look at the device that will be attached to many of our wrists in just a few short months.

One of the first major Apple Watch sightings occurred several weeks ago, when Vogue Editor Suzy Menkes snapped a photo of someone wearing the device. Rumors and speculation have suggested the arm in the photo could belong to Marc Newson, the designer who now works at Apple part time alongside Jony Ive.

applewatchwild1.jpg
Image via Suzy Menkes
A second less-clear image of what is likely an Apple Watch was shared on Twitter earlier this week, with the photo being snapped in San Francisco's Marina area.

applewatchwild2.jpg
Image via RaceJohnson
If you happen to live in the Cupertino area, it's quite possible you might run into an Apple employee who is wearing one of the watches. VentureBeat's Mark Sullivan recently shared a story of an Apple Watch he spotted while commuting on Caltrain. Sullivan got a bit more than a glimpse -- he had the opportunity to see the Apple Watch in action for several minutes and his account on how it was used is a great read for those who want to learn a bit about how it integrates into daily life.

According to Sullivan, the man's Apple Watch "looked proportionate" to his wrist and had a traditional look that didn't "scream for attention." Sullivan saw a text reminder pop up on the screen, accompanied by a map, and he got the impression that the Apple Watch had become an essential part of this person's life.
I want one, and I didn't even really see much of what the thing could do. But I got the distinct impression that the Watch has already become integrated into the daily life of this user. I could see it as a powerful personal assistant that's always just an arm's lift away to help you make sense of the minutiae of daily life: the schedules and reminders and appointments and social media and everything else we all have to process every minute of every day.
Apple CEO Tim Cook said earlier this week that the Apple Watch is on track to launch in April, but he did not offer a narrower timeframe that would hit at when the release could come during the month. As we creep closer to April, though, we can expect to see a lot more of the Apple Watch in the wild as employees continue testing the device.

Article Link: Apple Watch Sightings Picking Up Ahead of Official Launch

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2004
Maybe I'm alone here but I haven't worn a watch since I was a child, and I don't plan on spending $350 for a new watch when my iPhone can tell the time, check my mail and do pretty much anything I need when I'm mobile.

Last edited:

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
By 'picking up' they mean 'there's been another one'.

The second one really looks like a twenty year old Casio to me.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Maybe I'm alone here but I haven't worn a watch since I was a child, and I don't plan on spending $350 for a new watch every year.

You are the 250th post that is EXACTLY like that here. So no, you're not alone in not being original; that must be a comfort.

Most people aren't even spending $350 dollars a year for their phone, so the rest of the comment in non sequitur.

J. Jizzle

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
U.S.A.
I just don't see what the big deal is with the watch. Sure, it has the Apple brand on it, I'll wait and see what becomes of it. I'm not too keen on the idea of having to charge it everyday. I've had my solar powered watch for 10 years now and have never had to change the battery. It does everything I want in a watch... Tells time.

Jeff Meredith

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2007
Colorado
I predict long lines

I remember the lines for the first IPad and I had a reservation and bypassed the people camped out.

I don't wear a watch because I have to download a 100 page PDF file just to change to daylight savings time. After the third time, this watch is not intuitive and I just use my phone for time.

But even though I have an iPhone 6, I would still use the watch for ApplePay which I use all of the time, especially after I found many more stores with this app https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mobile-pay-finder/id942307294?mt=8

The other thing I like about the watch is the ability to change bands. And if it can track my distance running and walking that is an added advantage as well.

My rank of features.
1. Apple Pay integration
2. Calendar
3. Automatic Time Setting
4. Fitness Tracking
5. Interchangeable Bands.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I wonder if Apple will time the Apple Watch launch event to ensure it steals the thunder from the Galaxy S6 launch.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Maybe I'm alone here but I haven't worn a watch since I was a child, and I don't plan on spending $350 for a new watch every year.

I stopped wearing a watch around seven years ago as everywhere I look I can see a clock: in the car, in the house, on my computer, etc. When I did wear one I felt guilty for wasting money if I spent $100 on a watch. $350 is just not going to happen. In addition I just haven't seen any reports of what it's supposed to do that make me even want to consider it. If I had an extra $350+ burning a hole in my pocket I've got better things to spend it on than an accessory for my phone.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
I just don't see what the big deal is with the watch. Sure, it has the Apple brand on it, I'll wait and see what becomes of it. I'm not too keen on the idea of having to charge it everyday. I've had my solar powered watch for 10 years now and have never had to change the battery. It does everything I want in a watch... Tells time.

I agree. Personally, I think it'll be the next iPod Nano or Apple TV. It'll really suit some people and a lot of tech enthusiasts will buy them, but for most people, there'll be minor fascination for a period and then it'll wear off completely.

Over the next couple of years, Apple will lose interest and development of the Apple Watch will be minimal. I suspect several years from now, it'll be discontinued when other manufacturers (possibly traditional watchmakers) produce more suitable smart watches.

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
If I use the watch for apple pay will I still need to have my phone near by?

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
I agree. Personally, I think it'll be the next iPod Nano or Apple TV. It'll really suit some people and a lot of tech enthusiasts will buy them, but for most people, there'll be minor fascination for a period and then it'll wear off completely.

Over the next couple of years, Apple will lose interest and development of the Apple Watch will be minimal. I suspect several years from now, it'll be discontinued when other manufacturers (possibly traditional watchmakers) produce more suitable smart watches.

than you've really not paid attention to how much they're investing in apple watch. All those bands, the two different sizes, whole new chip, to get the design and manufacturing off the ground, that doesn't sound like a hobby product to me. If apple fails with the apple watch, it'd be the biggest failure they've had since the pre-ipod days.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I wasn't so sure when they announced it, but now I want one more and more.

Mainly for the jewellery aspect, particularly like the look of the Classic Buckle, Milanese Loop and Link Bracelet. But also for the fitness tracking + new ways to communicate.

As for iPhone notifications: I'd probably turn nearly all of them off. I already find myself on Facebook too much! iMessages, WhatsApp and phone calls would be nice though.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
And if it can track my distance running and walking that is an added advantage as well.

My rank of features.
1. Apple Pay integration
2. Calendar
3. Automatic Time Setting
4. Fitness Tracking
5. Interchangeable Bands.

But it can't. No gps unless you also carry your phone, and if you have your phone, why do you need a watch too?

Lack of integrated gps is the killer for me, and I will consider an Apple watch when they add it.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
ive played with an apple watch...an i know someone who works at 1 infinite loop who is beta testing...this watch aint no secret.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Looks really huge, will wait for slimmer version 2

It does look pretty thick that you mention it.
Im hoping for significant batter improvement and/or facetime.
Granted I may still buy the low end model this time around to see if I even find it practical in my life.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
Personally, I'm freaking excited about this!
I noted how Sullivan was impressed that it "had become an essential part of this person's life". Even Tim Cook recently said he "couldn't live without it".
Is that just marketing hype, or is this thing awesome in ways we haven't imagined yet? Maybe a little of both?

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Must have #1: LONG BATTERY LIFE

I would hate to charge yet another accessory on a regular basis (daily for iPhone)

Another deterrent for me is the longevity of the iWatch... I can't see myself spending on a new watch like I do on the iPhone annually... Might as well not getting one at all to cut out the temptation.

In reality, I don't even want to wear a watch, it gets sweaty and gross.

smakdown61

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
This will be the next "thing" once they untether it from the iphone and give it its own wifi connection (possibly own cell chip one day). Probably will take a few more generations of battery improvements though before that happens. Sounds like the S1 chip is more than capable just held back by power consumption.

The reactions remind me of the first ipad..."This thing is horrible its just a giant ipod touch."

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
This will be the next "thing" once they untether it from the iphone and give it its own wifi connection. Probably will take a few more generations of battery improvements though before that happens. Sounds like the S1 chip is more than capable just held back by power consumption.

This watch needs to be a phone on its own and everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.