Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
Last night Safari was working fine when I shutdown but today it has been extremely slow at times. When I click a new link the progress bar goes over to ~20% and then hangs there for what seems like forever and then eventually it resumes and the page loads. This happens while browsing this forum and other forums as well.

The problem doesn't occur with every page load. Sometimes I get nice quick responses like I am used to. I have restarted my laptop. I have uninstalled the extensions I was using. I did a Remove all website data. Nothing has made a difference so far.

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
I googled the problem and found a post on the :apple: support site that suggested trashing the cache.db file. I tried that and it didn't help either.

I then switched users and my alternate user works fine. Any ideas for repairing my main user settings? :mad:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Try installing Chrome just as a test and see if Chrome also has the issue.

Also, you might try making a second user account and login the that account to test. This would eliminate anything specific to your account that might be causing a problem.

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
I installed Chrome last night and it was better but still slow. I found a support article talking about DNS problems causing slowness. That seemed strange to me as I would expect a DNS problem to cause sites to be unreachable not slow. I have a router that acts as a DNS proxy that has caused strange results before so I power-cycled it anyway.

The slow response of the browsers went away leaving me feeling stupid. I'm still not sure exactly what was happening but I won't hesitate to reset that router the next time I experience strange internet behavior.

FelicityW

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
NY->CA->AZ->MI->AZ
I have been living this for days. Watching the blue line creep. I didn't change anything so obviously, it came about as a by product of updating something! Hello Apple! Are you listening?

I am running the latest versions of Yosemite and Safari on my late 2013 MBP w/ 16GB RAM. I do a lot of internet searching and Safari is crawling. I use Safari for personal web research, and Firefox and Chrome for work activity. They are not as deeply affected, although they are slower. I have deleted cache and history. I have cleared my desktop, emptied trash, and rebooted (more than once). Still, the thin blue bar is crawling. Oh, I also removed the extensions.

What it seems like is something is filling up, and once filled, it cannot go faster until something moves out of the way. It feels like a MB out allows a MB in. It feels like something needs to be flushed. I cannot work at the slow pace Safari is running; I download very little in the way of bandwidth hogs like music and video, so that is not causing the clog. I accumulate cookies but as I said, I have deleted those several times a day at this point. I am going to have to move over to FF and Chrome and leave Safari for another day as this is going to drive me mad.

----------

The comment about resetting the router reminded me of something I had observed. I have a Time Capsule connected to my service provider's Arris modem. Somehow, my connection reverts to the Arris connection, not the TC connection. The Arris one is the network I am on when it is slow. When I change it to my TC network, the speed issue is resolved.

So now the question is, what causes it to change the network to which it is pointed....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.