Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimRedBeard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Connecticut
So I got my hands on a Mid 2011 Mac Mini Server with 2.0 i7 quad core, Intel 3000 Graphics, 4GB RAM, 128GB Samsung 840 SSD & 500GB Ultra Slim Seagate 7200rpm HDD. Now I have Mavericks loaded on the SSD and the HDD is my storage drive. Currently running Plex Media Server and Plex HT on it I have a 4TB WD My Cloud as well. I'm looking to move my jailbroken Apple TV to my rec room downstairs and use the Mini as the primary HTPC in the living room.

I have no cable just internet at my home, so I don't need DVR options or anything, looking for some cool options to do with this basically "free" Mini. Any suggestions? I will be updating the RAM to at least 8GB.

Thanks! Oh I also have a Early 2013 MBP Retina Display as my work/personal laptop. As well as a Dell Latitude E4310 that's my son's in his room. 1 Chromecast, 2 - ATV2's Jailbroken and an Early Roku 2.

Setup as follows:
Living Room = ATV2
Daughter's Room = ATV2
Rec Room = Roku
Son's Room = iPad Mini w/ Infuse & Lighting Bolt to HDMI adapter
My Room = Chromecast w/ Plex on iPhone 6

Suggestion are welcome! Thanks, just really looking for cool ideas to access my media at work, setting up VPN, etc...lots of stuff I haven't really read up on or just cool options. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.