Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hacks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
I got a wireless keyboard with my 2009 24" iMac. I believe it's the same as the wireless keyboard available today.

The keyboard held up pretty good except for the space bar, it has no springiness to it, no click feeling. It's very loose and sloppy. Surprisingly enough it actually works. But it's annoying to type on so I'd like to fix it.

Is there any way to fix it or do I have to spend $70 on a new one?

Hacks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Yeah, it is the 3 battery model.

Do you know how to pop the space key off without damaging anything? Just gently pry? Or do I have to heat it in order to loosen adhesive?

Thanks.

Hacks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Thanks for the help.

I can't say it was clean underneath it, but it wasn't so dirty that the dirt or dust was effecting it's operation. I guess the little button in the center just lost it's springiness.

I like the keyboard but I wonder if there is a cheaper one that I could use. Now that I am using a non-Mac monitor, theres no reason to stick with the aluminum theme. I do like it's small size, tho.

MeeMac

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2013
Stick With Macs Hacks

as I always say....

"Cheap Is For Sheep"
&
"Buy Apple"
:):apple:

iNewbie

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Keyboard

If you end up buying a new keyboard... you might want to look at the Logitech K811 (I think is the model). I just switched from the Apple wireless to this. It did take some getting used to... but it has a rechargeable battery that you just plug the keyboard into usb every now and then. It also can easily switch between 3 Bluethooth devices... so that's really nice if you're testing stuff to go back and forth between an iPad, iPhone and the Mac.

Stocks

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2015
If you end up buying a new keyboard... you might want to look at the Logitech K811 (I think is the model). I just switched from the Apple wireless to this. It did take some getting used to... but it has a rechargeable battery that you just plug the keyboard into usb every now and then. It also can easily switch between 3 Bluethooth devices... so that's really nice if you're testing stuff to go back and forth between an iPad, iPhone and the Mac.

That model costs almost twice as much as the Apple wireless keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.