Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duff3012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
i have a mid 2010 MBP running lion. my goal is to upgrade to mountain lion. i have been prescribed this remedy:

If you're going to upgrade, I'd suggest this:
1. clone existing drive using SD
2. boot from the clone
3. re-initialize your internal drive
4. install clean copy of Mountain Lion, and...
5. .... when prompted, connect your cloned backup and "migrate" your accounts, apps, and settings.

my question is for number 3. what is re-initialize your internal drive??? the steps and what not or a point n the right direction. thx

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
they want you to boot into disk utility, from the clone, and use that to erase you computers hard disk.

boot into recovery mode
( holding down command R or option command keys during boot or use a usb key / cd
run disk utility from tools ( don't install os x)
select hard disk from left panel
click on erase
(or security erase if you feel safer)
and let that partition erase

only erase the main partition ( the biggest one) if you erase the entire hard disk
you wil erase any diagnostic partitions or recovery petitions and you want to keep those

once that hard disk is erased you can reinstall mountain lion and copy your clone back

personally i would rather run a time machine, its easier to migrate from then a clone of the hard disk

duff3012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
thanx for the reply.

rigormortis how would doing this via timemachine differ? steps wise??

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
well. the plus is if you clone your drive is you get an exact copy

i don't know i don't remember if migration assistant lets you migrate from an external hard disk. i think it wants another mac or a time capsule to migrate from

its like windows.. if u have another computer you can use their assistant to move your stuff from , but if you just have a hard disk, your out of luck. like you can copy from photos and music manualy in an enclosure, but the windows wizard won't read the hard disk by itself.

i guess time machine is automatic and easier and backs up every hour, where cloning just copies that drive once

i heard stories where your not supposed to use another computers clone drive to restore stuff on a new mac , your supposed to use install mac os x and import from time machine instead, because the kexts or drivers won't be in the old setup. but thats what i heard

i had a problem migrating from old mac os x to new mac os x, using time machine, and it skipped over my iPhotos, because it was too old. and i had to drag out the photos manually and then import them.

my iphoto is a mess now. all the events are now just days and "roll 1 " to "roll 19" it used to be organized better with the old iphoto

when you boot your mac for the first time , i think it asks for a time machine. i don't think it asks for some hard disk you have laying around

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Surely, if you install Mountain Lion on the internal drive and then clone back from the external, you end up back where you started.

Better to use Migration Assistant to transfer all the files and settings back from the clone to the Mac.

duff3012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
thanx dave.

i surely dont want to end up where i started. i will try MA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.