Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jy86422000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Hey Guys,

This is my first post in the Forum, but you guys have saved my day numerous times. So thank you all.

I've got an old MacBook that is either late 2007 or early 2008. My brother will be coming to visit me between college semesters and will also be working for me. He doesn't have a laptop so I want to let him use my old one. I also just really love and am very attached to that old thing, so despite using my 2013 MBP most of the time, I want the blackbook to work a little better.

It still runs pretty decently, but since my brother will be working for me, I need it to be just fast enough that he can be productive. I've read other threads that have answered most of my questions, but I still have a couple.

I think I should be able to easily update the RAM and maybe the hard drive. I've never upgraded a Mac in any way. I used to build my own computers when I was still a PC guy, but have always just bought my Macs as I wanted them and never had any need to upgrade. I know when I was building PCs it was very important that I matched each piece perfectly with each other piece, but I can't seem to find any information on that with Macs.

To cut to the chase, can anyone tell me exactly how I'll know what will work with this macbook and/or recommend parts specifically? It looks like I can update the RAM to 4 (or maybe 8) GB and I would like to look at the options available for for hard drives.

Thanks in Advance,

Jason

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The need two 2GB SO-DIMMS of PC5300@667Mhz that is non-ECC. They are not picky about memory. They can take any SATA hard drive/SSD that is 9.5mm tall and 2.5" wide. They are not picky with hard drives/SSDs. For best results, I suggest 4GB of memory and a SSD. Remember, they only have SATA I so a high end SSD is not needed.

Jy86422000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Thanks for clearing that up for me Intell. I guess it just seemed to easy to me.

Jason

spadz93

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2009
Bump it up to 8gb and an SSD and you'll be set for a lot longer. I got a 4gb machine running mavericks and it's eh, not too slow but nothing lightning either. My other machine with 8gb and an ssd runs positively great, and it's a 2.4 late 2008 unibody MB. 8gb will be good headroom, and it's not that much more expensive

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Black MacBooks cannot use 8GB of memory. 10.9 is not a supported version of Mac OS X on them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.