Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nichlaspro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2015
Hi all!

Let's say this:
(We are talking about iAd)
- You have created an app and there are lots of active users...

-In straight numbers, there's about 3000 users a day

-There are about 1000 who clicks on some of the ads/iAds a day

-There's ofc also lots of impressions

-All of the 1000 who clicks, is clicking on 4 ads a day

---------------------------------------------------

Okay, so how much would you as the developer get a day for that app??
Just ask if you need more info;-)

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Edit: I know that there's no "you" after "could" in the title but can't change that:-(

Last edited:

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Edit: I know that there's no "you" after "could" in the title but can't change that:-(

Mod Note: Actually, you can change the thread title:
  • Click the Edit button below your original post.
  • Click the Go Advanced button.
  • Change the Title in the textbook in the Edit Post section.
  • Click the Save Changes button.

nichlaspro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2015
Mod Note: Actually, you can change the thread title:
  • Click the Edit button below your original post.
  • Click the Go Advanced button.
  • Change the Title in the textbook in the Edit Post section.
  • Click the Save Changes button.

Thanks! But I am more interested in an answer xD;-)

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Okay, so how much would you as the developer get a day for that app??

Simplest answer is: it depends!

There are a lot of variables involved in this, some of which we, as developers who show ads in our apps (also known as publishers), are not privy to. There is no cut-and-dried simple formula to calculate this. Each advertiser will have set their own rates, some for impressions and some for clicks. Then, depending on which ads are served during the use of your app and whether the user clicks the ad, different amounts will be paid out by the various advertisers. Suffice it to say: this can all get rather complex but in the end you, as a publisher, are paid 70% of the revenue from those ads (assuming you're using iAds) and Apple keeps 30%. Other ad platforms may use a different split-ratio.

Hope that makes sense.

nichlaspro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2015
Simplest answer is: it depends!

There are a lot of variables involved in this, some of which we, as developers who show ads in our apps (also known as publishers), are not privy to. There is no cut-and-dried simple formula to calculate this. Each advertiser will have set their own rates, some for impressions and some for clicks. Then, depending on which ads are served during the use of your app and whether the user clicks the ad, different amounts will be paid out by the various advertisers. Suffice it to say: this can all get rather complex but in the end you, as a publisher, are paid 70% of the revenue from those ads (assuming you're using iAds) and Apple keeps 30%. Other ad platforms may use a different split-ratio.

Hope that makes sense.

Thank you so much!!!!!! Finally an answer... But can't you just give me an example of that. I mean where you use my example and then assume that you get a specific price per impression or click and then give me an imagination..

Hope you understand:))

Thanks!!

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
I'm not an expert, but from what I've heard, it's not just based on number of downloads. As I understand it, the popularity within a given sub category determines if your app will be selected to place ads.

I've heard that some are watching just how effective the ads are in selling product and basing decisions from this.

Also, another consideration is the number of apps, not just overall, but within any give sub category. Some categories are very flooded, whereas others aren't.

Overall, the reports I've seen indicate that the money keep getting tighter and tighter.

Some don't like to share this kind of info, but there's been a few studies in the past and most of the apps didn't break even. Some 3% made about 80% of the money.

Not only that, any app that makes money, tends to get cloned quickly, esp if its a game because they've got tons of templates out there for cheap.

As Dejo said above, there's really too many factors to get a solid answer.

nichlaspro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2015
I'm not an expert, but from what I've heard, it's not just based on number of downloads. As I understand it, the popularity within a given sub category determines if your app will be selected to place ads.

I've heard that some are watching just how effective the ads are in selling product and basing decisions from this.

Also, another consideration is the number of apps, not just overall, but within any give sub category. Some categories are very flooded, whereas others aren't.

Overall, the reports I've seen indicate that the money keep getting tighter and tighter.

Some don't like to share this kind of info, but there's been a few studies in the past and most of the apps didn't break even. Some 3% made about 80% of the money.

Not only that, any app that makes money, tends to get cloned quickly, esp if its a game because they've got tons of templates out there for cheap.

As Dejo said above, there's really too many factors to get a solid answer.

Fair enough and thank you so much!!!!!! I really appreciate all ur time!

But why do people even clone stuff, that's not cool man...?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
But can't you just give me an example of that. I mean where you use my example and then assume that you get a specific price per impression or click and then give me an imagination..

Alright. Let's say an advertiser sets a CPM of $0.50 for a particular ad, marketed to a particular set of users, let's say USA. That means they will pay $0.50 for every 1000 impressions of their ad to US users. And let's say your app only shows ads from that advertiser. If that ad was shown to your app's users 1000 times, they would need to pay $0.50. Apple takes 30% ($0.15) of this and pays you $0.35. Is that specific enough of an example for your imagination?

nichlaspro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2015
Alright. Let's say an advertiser sets a CPM of $0.50 for a particular ad, marketed to a particular set of users, let's say USA. That means they will pay $0.50 for every 1000 impressions of their ad to US users. And let's say your app only shows ads from that advertiser. If that ad was shown to your app's users 1000 times, they would need to pay $0.50. Apple takes 30% ($0.15) of this and pays you $0.35. Is that specific enough of an example for your imagination?

Omg thank you too!! Exactly what I wanted u to do;-) but if you have 1000 users which all are active 2h a day..it was more that..I?? still appreciate all your time, it means a lot to me!

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
but if you have 1000 users which all are active 2h a day..it was more that..I??

The number of users and how long they are active is less important. What matters is the number of impressions. Now, if you have lots of users who are active for longer periods, chances are they'll generate a larger number of requests and, hopefully, with a decent fill-rate, than will mean more impressions.

If your ad is refreshing, say, every 30 seconds and you have 1000 users who are active for 2 hours each day, they will make 240,000 requests. If you get a 100% fill-rate and an eCPM of, from before, $0.50, that would calculate to be $84 of revenue for you! But, an eCPM of $0.50 is extremely high, I think! A more realistic value for anything but the most popular apps is probably just a few cents per M. That is, eCPM of < $0.05.

nichlaspro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2015
The number of users and how long they are active is less important. What matters is the number of impressions. Now, if you have lots of users who are active for longer periods, chances are they'll generate a larger number of requests and, hopefully, with a decent fill-rate, than will mean more impressions.

If your ad is refreshing, say, every 30 seconds and you have 1000 users who are active for 2 hours each day, they will make 240,000 requests. If you get a 100% fill-rate and an eCPM of, from before, $0.50, that would calculate to be $84 of revenue for you! But, an eCPM of $0.50 is extremely high, I think! A more realistic value for anything but the most popular apps is probably just a few cents per M. That is, eCPM of < $0.05.

Thank you, just what i wanted to know!

If you got a little bit more time for me. Then how much more do u usually gets per click compared to impressions AND what is a click when it comes to iAd, is it just a click on the ad or where the user must do something inside of it.

Finally if just someone got some extra time. Are there some ads services, like admob who pays for just a click, and I'm not thinking about a click bot..

Thanks!

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
with iAd its going to take a lot of impressions here are some examples from my newest game Adventure To Fate : Battle Arena

iAD
Launch Day:
Impressions: 14k
eCPM: .59
Rev: $8.41

Second Day:
Impressions: 18k
eCPM: .51
Rev: $8.94

Third Day:
Impressions: 15k
eCPM: .52
Rev: $7.63

Vungle
Launch Day:
Views: 3.66k
eCPM: 4.24
Rev: $15

Second Day:
Views: 3.67k
eCPM: 1.77
Rev: $6

Third Day:
Views: 3k
eCPM: 2.83
Rev: $8

Over the few days I added the ability to remove ads for .99 which ive sold about 100 of and ad views/impressions have stayed about steady.

Something interesting on superbowl sunday the eCPM was as high as $20 in the morning and averaged out to about $11.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
But why do people even clone stuff, that's not cool man...?

In the world of business, they are known as "fast followers" they will examine your product and patent (if applicable) and find a work-around for the patent or try to make the same thing you make cheaper and/or better.

Just as in nature, some get the kill and fresh meat, some pick the bones dry.

This may seem cruel, but if you think about it, it's for the greater good to the customer (usually).

If you put out a product that's overpriced/undervalued or has some other flaw, others should come in a knock it out of the market. This helps to insure that only the strong (or smart) survive while the weak(stupid) die.

It also forces you to do better and you learn that doing a poor job isn't (and shouldn't) be rewarded (unless you work for the government :eek:)

Where a line should be drawn is when you have an excellent product (per the customers) and get knocked off by a 2-bit low-life that simple knocks off your hard work and offer no improvement.

There are ways to protect your product beyond legal, but I'm not open to talk about that here.

Best bet is to focus on the customer, always focus on the customer.

nichlaspro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2015
In the world of business, they are known as "fast followers" they will examine your product and patent (if applicable) and find a work-around for the patent or try to make the same thing you make cheaper and/or better.

This may seem cruel, but if you think about it, it's for the greater good to the customer (usually).

If you put out a product that's overpriced/undervalued or has some other flaw, others should come in a knock it out of the market. This helps to insure that only the strong (or smart) survive while the weak(stupid) die.

It also forces you to do better and you learn that doing a poor job isn't (and shouldn't) be rewarded (unless you work for the government :eek:)

Where a line should be drawn is when you have an excellent product (per the customers) and get knocked off by a 2-bit low-life that simple knocks off your hard work and offer no improvement.

There are ways to protect your product beyond legal, but I'm not open to talk about that here.

Thanks!!

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix

A bit off topic but I don't really think clones are good for the customer. They crowd the market and often use illegal tactics to climb search results meaning the customer finds a crappy clone instead of better original games.

If honestly love to see apple charge $100 per app to publish to the store it would be a lot better for the consumer and real developers trying to make good products.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
A bit off topic but I don't really think clones are good for the customer. They crowd the market and often use illegal tactics to climb search results meaning the customer finds a crappy clone instead of better original games.

If honestly love to see apple charge $100 per app to publish to the store it would be a lot better for the consumer and real developers trying to make good products.

I agree, however we have to strike some kind of balance here because people have a right to try their ideas out on the market.

Remember, the Pet Rock was just a rock in a box, yet the consumers loved it. We have a HUGE, HUGE market out there. People like different things, and sometimes an app will get close but not quite hit the bull's eye.

At the same time, there are low-life chumps that will take the work of others and claim it as their own. Apple should address this more effectively, they currently (AFAIK) don't do much to support small developers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.