Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zerka

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
San Jose,CA
So yesterday I cracked the screen on my school-issued iPad Air. I don't want to take to our school's IT service because they'll charge me $300 to fix it and I'm in a really tight position right now so I can't afford that. I want to take it to a repair shop I found on Yelp, but will they replace the glass if it's school property? There's a sticker on the back of the iPad that says "Property of *school*" so will that be reason enough for them to not work on it? I really can't afford the $300, I can barely afford this $125 repair as it is. So will they fix it? (Can't I just cover the school property sticker with a sticker of my own?) or will I have to take it to my school's IT service?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So yesterday I cracked the screen on my school-issued iPad Air. I don't want to take to our school's IT service because they'll charge me $300 to fix it and I'm in a really tight position right now so I can't afford that. I want to take it to a repair shop I found on Yelp, but will they replace the glass if it's school property? There's a sticker on the back of the iPad that says "Property of *school*" so will that be reason enough for them to not work on it? I really can't afford the $300, I can barely afford this $125 repair as it is. So will they fix it? (Can't I just cover the school property sticker with a sticker of my own?) or will I have to take it to my school's IT service?
I would follow the school's instructions and take it to the IT service. Trying to have another repair shop fix it could result in them screwing up more than just the screen, which could cost you more. Deception is never a good policy.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I would follow the school's instructions and take it to the IT service. Trying to have another repair shop fix it could result in them screwing up more than just the screen, which could cost you more. Deception is never a good policy.

At the same time 300 is an absolute ripoff, its 30 dollars from buying a refurbished iPad Air..

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
At the same time 300 is an absolute ripoff, its 30 dollars from buying a refurbished iPad Air..
No doubt about that! Still, the iPad doesn't belong to the OP, so the honest choice is to do what the owner requires.

Zerka

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
San Jose,CA
No doubt about that! Still, the iPad doesn't belong to the OP, so the honest choice is to do what the owner requires.

In all honesty I really don't have the money. I know I should take it to IT, but if I can I'd want to take it to another place for cheaper. I've gone to this place before with my laptop and they fixed it up in about 30 minutes I'm confident they won't damage it further. The $300 isn't even inclusive of the shipping costs (not to mention the downtime of me not having the files and resources I need to do homework and study).

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
In all honesty I really don't have the money. I know I should take it to IT, but if I can I'd want to take it to another place for cheaper. I've gone to this place before with my laptop and they fixed it up in about 30 minutes I'm confident they won't damage it further. The $300 isn't even inclusive of the shipping costs (not to mention the downtime of me not having the files and resources I need to do homework and study).
The choice is yours. You asked for advice, but you're not obligated to follow it.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I asked if you think they'll fix the iPad

What are yelp reviews saying? As far as I understand the iPad's screen is held by a ton of glue, so for them to repair, they will have to pry off the old screen and glue a new one on.

Read yelp, and go with your gut? You didn't even post the repair shop you are looking at.

Can't you just keep it a happy secret for awhile, until you get enough money? Does the iPad still work?

Zerka

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
San Jose,CA
What are yelp reviews saying? As far as I understand the iPad's screen is held by a ton of glue, so for them to repair, they will have to pry off the old screen and glue a new one on.

Read yelp, and go with your gut? You didn't even post the repair shop you are looking at.

Can't you just keep it a happy secret for awhile, until you get enough money? Does the iPad still work?

The Yelp reviews seem pretty positive, it was the best shop I could find for the price.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/kt-electronic-repair-san-jose

As far as keeping it a secret, we use our iPads in every class and teachers aw required to report things like this so I don't think I can get through the week keeping it a secret. The iPad still works, the LCD isn't dmaged, just the glass panel.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Only they can tell you if they will work on it, and only trying it will tell you if they can successfully repair it. If that's all you want to know, you should be asking the repair shop, since no one in the forum can possibly know these things.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
The problem with the third party repair is that it will (most likely) void the Apple warranty. If the school issues this iPad to another student later and there is a problem, it may not be covered. That could lead to problems down the road for the school and/or another student, or the OP.

Of course, this is just a "what if" scenario. Either way, good luck OP.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

If the place you take it to is like a Mall Kiosk they could care less about the sticker. Most of these places are low life for sure.

I would take it to the IT peopel at school and ask for payments. Accidents do happen and I am sure they will give you some kind of terms.

How about hitting your parents up for the $300 or is that worn out by now.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Sympathies for a difficult problem.

I'm actually surprised that schools that distribute and require the use of iPads don't have some kind of insurance program in place that would reduce the cost of what is an essentially inevitable problem for a certain number of kids every year.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Sympathies for a difficult problem.

I'm actually surprised that schools that distribute and require the use of iPads don't have some kind of insurance program in place that would reduce the cost of what is an essentially inevitable problem for a certain number of kids every year.

I'm even more surprised they don't encase those iPad's in an Otterbox defender case.

To the OP, my suggestion is to not sweat it. Take it to the school, tell them it was an unintentional accident but you don't have the money for the repair. As the saying goes, you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. ;)

had0ukenn

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2013
Doesn't the school have warranty for their iPads? I mean they're lending them out to students, they should have bought some sort of warranty beforehand.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
take the ipad too the apple store and they can re place it take it some where else and your 1 year warranty will be voided so since this ipad you got came from a school i would ask if its even OK be for you take it some where else too get it replace has it will void your 1 year warranty and keep in mind but once you get it replce and if you take it too the apple store apple wont even touch it after it been missed with the school you got the ipad from may want that 1 year warranty so that way is some in else gos wrong they can replace it or get a new one too you

so really think about this be for you do it

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
take the ipad too the apple store and they can re place it take it some where else and your 1 year warranty will be voided so since this ipad you got came from a school i would ask if its even OK be for you take it some where else too get it replace has it will void your 1 year warranty and keep in mind but once you get it replce and if you take it too the apple store apple wont even touch it after it been missed with the school you got the ipad from may want that 1 year warranty so that way is some in else gos wrong they can replace it or get a new one too you

so really think about this be for you do it

I wouldn't even take it to the Apple store without the school's permission. They likely keep a record of which iPad is issued to which student. If you return an iPad with a different serial number you may be in trouble as well.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Please DO NOT take it to a third party repair service. Man up and return it to the IT department and let them know that you cannot afford $300 for repair.

Copy and paste this to your IT department:
I work as a Mobile Learning Analyst ( for schools and private companies ) and $300 for a broken screen is fraud.

My recommendations are used by many organizations ( more than 50 ) and they include absolutely no waiver fee and $50 glass repair service. Which I honestly still think is too high, but I have to make lawyers happy as well.

I've seen the waiver fee / usage form require students to pay as much as $50 just to let a student touch an iPad - very angry typing right now.

PS I've repaired several iPad screens and the total cost is about $50US and takes 30-60 min to complete. We currently use a trusted third party that charges about $100, which is quite fair considering the parts and labor.

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
Just break into the IT department of your school and swap the broken iPad for a whole one, then return that one when you have to bring it back. :D

I'm not being serious here! I find it absurd that they would charge a student $300 for a cracked screen, especially when it is their property and not yours. Aren't they insured? Or you?

While I generally believe that honesty is the best approach to most problems (in the long term also the least stressful one), if they would really want $300 from you or kick you out of the school if you can't pay it, I would go with Yelp.

Yeah, it's a deception and it could come back to haunt you, but under the circumstances most people would understand that it wasn't malicious and acknowledge that you did try to fix the damage. You could always say you were scared and tried your best to correct the problem.

Yes, I think they will repair it for you.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Just break into the IT department of your school and swap the broken iPad for a whole one, then return that one when you have to bring it back. :D

I'm not being serious here! I find it absurd that they would charge a student $300 for a cracked screen, especially when it is their property and not yours. Aren't they insured? Or you?

While I generally believe that honesty is the best approach to most problems (in the long term also the least stressful one), if they would really want $300 from you or kick you out of the school if you can't pay it, I would go with Yelp.

Yeah, it's a deception and it could come back to haunt you, but under the circumstances most people would understand that it wasn't malicious and acknowledge that you did try to fix the damage. You could always say you were scared and tried your best to correct the problem.

Yes, I think they will repair it for you.

he needs too have the school's permission too do that 1st he sould not take it too any 3rd party place in tell he has the school's permission

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Get it repaired, but remember we are not responsible for your decision.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I am sure the school would let you get it replaced by apple. I think that runs ~$225 for an ipad screen repair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.