Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
I upgraded to 8.1.3 ios and my battery life of my iPhone 5s is about 3.5 hours of usage!

One of the issues is that my cellular signal is weak where I live and so the phone switches between no service and connection. Could that be the main problem?

Any tips to improve the battery life on an iPhone 5s and 8.1.3? Thanks

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
Your phone constantly monitors it's connection to the network. When it detects a less than optimum connection, it increases it's transmitted power in an attempt to improve the connection. In marginal signal conditions, your phones transmitter is using a lot of power.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
I upgraded to 8.1.3 ios and my battery life of my iPhone 5s is about 3.5 hours of usage!

One of the issues is that my cellular signal is weak where I live and so the phone switches between no service and connection. Could that be the main problem?

Any tips to improve the battery life on an iPhone 5s and 8.1.3? Thanks

And what was the situation, when you were on lower IOS?

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2013
Same usage with lower 8.x versions kindly assist

Go to Settings > General > Usage > Battery Usage

What is the top application/process using battery? That will help us narrow down what is going on.

Also, do you have LTE available where you live? If not, turn LTE off. If there is no LTE service it is wasting even more battery trying to find it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.