Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's next major iOS update, iOS 8.2, includes the WatchKit API and support for the Apple Watch, so it's been widely assumed that the software will launch alongside the device. According to sources that spoke to BGR, iOS 8.2 may not be released at the same time as the Apple Watch after all, coming instead in March.

An unspecified March release date means the software could come just a week or so ahead of the Apple Watch, or over a month, depending on the specific launch date of the Apple Watch. Tim Cook recently confirmed the Apple Watch will be released in April, but he did not narrow down the month-long timeframe. It is not clear why Apple might choose to launch the update ahead of the Apple Watch, as it is heavily focused on the device aside from some bug fixes and other minor improvements to the iOS 8 software.

As we reported last week, Apple has been asking some high-profile developers to have their Apple Watch apps ready by mid-February, a request that could be related to a potential March software launch and accompanying event.

applewatchrosegold.jpg
BGR has been fairly accurate with its iOS release date predictions. The site correctly determined several iOS 7 beta release dates, most notably targeting March of 2014 for the launch of iOS 7.1, which turned out to be accurate. The site has, however, been wrong on some occassions, like when it inaccurately predicted the launch of iOS 7 beta 6 and beta 7.

Apple has seeded five iOS 8.2 betas to developers thus far, and the most recent beta was released just yesterday. We've already been seeing hints of what the Apple Watch will be capable of thanks to developer efforts thus far, and Apple Watch sightings have been picking up as employees in Cupertino test the device ahead of its launch.

Update 2:10 PM PT: 9to5Mac is also reporting that iOS 8.2 will be released in March, possibly during the second week of the month.

Article Link: iOS 8.2 May Be Released in March, Ahead of April Apple Watch Launch

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
No harm in already having it on people's phones, ready for the Watch's release.

Didn't iWork (for iOS) ship with Documents in the Cloud compatibility before iCloud was announced at WWDC 2011?

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I wonder if apple can create a kinetic watch like in seiko where it would charge the battery just by the movement of the hand. Hence no need to charge it every night :D

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
It is not clear why Apple might choose to launch the update ahead of the Apple Watch

Of course it's clear, per a couple recent releases: make sure it's stable, with time to fix & update as needed, before the :apple:Watch arrives.

Gonna suck big time if they release 8.2 with the :apple:Watch, only to discover a big screwup that makes the new product's premier look bad.

If nothing else, will be a smoother release if people have their iPhones updated before getting the :apple:Watch, instead of dropping >$350 on something new then going "oh, crap, that's right, I have to update the phone too..."

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I wonder if apple can create a kinetic watch like in seiko where it would charge the battery just by the movement of the hand. Hence no need to charge it every night :D

That would be nice, but mechanical watches just work by storing energy in a spring...which would likely power a smartwatch for maybe a second, if that.

Maybe 10-20 years in the future, but we are far from that today. Think about those hand crank emergency LED lights, you have to put in a lot more energy than moving your wrist around, and it puts out way less energy than a small computer would require.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I really want to buy it, but I am getting first generation jitter. 2nd gen will almost undoubtably have longer battery life and may be few new features (e.g., GPS).

Technodynamic

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
I really want to buy it, but I am getting first generation jitter. 2nd gen will almost undoubtably have longer battery life and may be few new features (e.g., GPS).

Apple products maintain their value so well. Buy it and sell it when Gen 2 comes.

gcooldude86

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Makes sense to release it prior to the launch, be nice to update my iphone to 8.2 before the watch comes. I'm really hoping the estimate of the watch edition are wrong so I can afford that.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
By pushing out 8.2 earlier than the launch, many developers will be able to get WatchKit app extensions on the users device without their knowledge and ahead of the game.

It solves two problems: the flood of Devs pushing out new software at the last (or first;]) minute which backs up App Store Reviews and the second, when people get their hands on the watch, there won't be a delay in 3rd party apps available for it - the moment they set up the device, many more options will be available unbeknownst to the user prior.

Overall it'd be a really great move.

lowercaseperson

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2006

Not sure I would bank on a better battery life...rather, "the same great battery life - now 30% thinner!" Not that thinner form factor isn't a valid reason to hold out, but longer battery life isn't a given here (at least IMO)...:apple:

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
they will release 8.2 early because its free advertising. Everyone with an iPhone will know about the watch after they update

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Just give me the ability to use Swiftkey without crippling bugs!!!!!!!!!!

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
By pushing out 8.2 earlier than the launch, many developers will be able to get WatchKit app extensions on the users device without their knowledge and ahead of the game.

It solves two problems: the flood of Devs pushing out new software at the last (or first;]) minute which backs up App Store Reviews and the second, when people get their hands on the watch, there won't be a delay in 3rd party apps available for it - the moment they set up the device, many more options will be available unbeknownst to the user prior.

Overall it'd be a really great move.

Well said. Too bad MR's writers can't make simple connections and instead fall back on their "it's not clear why" BS as usual.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.