Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
No S6 thread?

Might as well make it as it's out first weekend of March

Specs:*4GB RAM, v64-bit CPU, up to 128GB storage, up to 20-megapixel camera, Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth Smart

Now the latest rumour of a pure metal look. Post all news here.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I really like Samsung phones and will be looking forward to it but I am not pleased with the metal body news. I just do not like my phones with a metal body, I do not like the feel in hand and they are not as tough(scuffs, dings etc)

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Much as I love my S5, not sure I'll buy another Sammy phone or tablet again, the future of rooting and flashing is bleak for Sammy devices. S5 with DynamicKat is so slick. Heard it won't be water resistant either and looks like they'll make another bulkier active model like before, that sucks balls. I'm always out by our pool or on the boat etc, have no worries with this phone, even take video and pics underwater.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Much as I love my S5, not sure I'll buy another Sammy phone or tablet again, the future of rooting and flashing is bleak for Sammy devices. S5 with DynamicKat is so slick. Heard it won't be water resistant either and looks like they'll make another bulkier active model like before, that sucks balls. I'm always out by our pool or on the boat etc, have no worries with this phone, even take video and pics underwater.

Surprised more manufactures don't make waterproof smartphones like the S5 ? I mean we know the technology is finally there to do it. Even Sony has it on a lot of their smartphones now.

Great for people with pools, or active around water like Fishing, boating, etc... even the accidental drop in the sink or bathtub is helpful.

I was shocked the iPhone 6 line wasn't waterproof.

Would like to see all smartphones waterproof like the S5, moving forward.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
No S6 thread?

Might as well make it as it's out first weekend of March

Specs:*4GB RAM, v64-bit CPU, up to 128GB storage, up to 20-megapixel camera, Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth Smart

Now the latest rumour of a pure metal look. Post all news here.

Most of the benchmarks have pointed to 3gb ram.

However, there may be different SKU in regards to ram between the Edge and the regular S6.

I'm hoping for 3gb with a radically rebuilt and optimised Touchwiz, I genuinely fear if they throw 4gb in there - in all likelihood they will be doing so to muscle through a bloated unoptimised Touchwiz - as has been their past for a number of years and iterations now.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I'm mostly looking forward to the streamlined touchwiz that is rumored. If Samsung ever put a stylus on the S6 I'd be all over it, but there is little to no chance of that happening. Really Samsung should consolidate like Apple does and have only their 2 flagships, the S6 with a stylus, and the Note 5 with a stylus and jettison all the other phones, well maybe they keep a couple of budget phones. This way they can concentrate on marketing those phones.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm mostly looking forward to the streamlined touchwiz that is rumored. If Samsung ever put a stylus on the S6 I'd be all over it, but there is little to no chance of that happening. Really Samsung should consolidate like Apple does and have only their 2 flagships, the S6 with a stylus, and the Note 5 with a stylus and jettison all the other phones, well maybe they keep a couple of budget phones. This way they can concentrate on marketing those phones.
It seems like they make a lot of phones...and they do. But they make phones designed for different geographical regions. So not all of their phones are released globally like the Note series or the S line.
But I hear you....i wish they would concentrate on one phone make it the best design and remove some of the useless features and add very optimized TW....

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
TW doesn't bother me much, its way better than it used to be (although if you use DynamicKat rom with the GPE theme that is how the S5 should have come). But the bloat is ridiculous, it's so overload with junk, thats really been my only issue with Sammy devices, even my tablet is the same, just bloated out the a$$. Will be interesting to see what they do this go around with TW.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
GS6 is coming in 32, 64, and 128GB options. This is coming from a price leak.

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/02/03/galaxy-s6-price-for-europe-rumored/

Also from Sammobile:

"According to our insider, the Galaxy S6 and its curved screen variant will be offered in four colors:*dark blue*(similar to the Galaxy A series),*blue-green, gold, and white."

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/02/03/exclusive-the-samsung-galaxy-s6-will-be-available-in-these-four-colours/

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It seems like they make a lot of phones...and they do. But they make phones designed for different geographical regions. So not all of their phones are released globally like the Note series or the S line.
But I hear you....i wish they would concentrate on one phone make it the best design and remove some of the useless features and add very optimized TW....

It's interesting that Apple has so much success in every market it comes to. In China where the income is much lower it seems they have huge success with a non budget phone like the iPhone. I wonder how much more success Samsung would have if they just concentrated on a few phones but put all their money, R&D and marketing into it.

----------

GS6 is coming in 32, 64, and 128GB options. This is coming from a price leak.

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/02/03/galaxy-s6-price-for-europe-rumored/

Also from Sammobile:

"According to our insider, the Galaxy S6 and its curved screen variant will be offered in four colors:*dark blue*(similar to the Galaxy A series),*blue-green, gold, and white."

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/02/03...y-s6-will-be-available-in-these-four-colours/

Sigh, I really wish they would just offer a nice black on black version. That's one of the things I appreciate about the iPhone, a nice monolithic black front where the bezel and glass all look like one piece, with no branding. Versus the Note 4 with a different colored bezel, the big huge Samsung logo and those horrible looking fake silver chamfered edges.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Here is a new leaked image of the S6

8565776934834352c525ce183655d001.jpg

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Hmm not sure if I like the idea of a non removable battery, unless the battery life is exceptional like the 6 plus. If it has 128GB of on board storage then it makes sense for it not to have micro Sd storage. However for those that get the 32GB variant they might want the option to expand the memory.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Possible A5 like SD arrangement.

Personally I think it is time for Sammy to release a global flagship phone (S6) with a metal unibody with an external SD card slot. Something similar to the M8 (or soon to be released M9) and the IP6.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Wow that looks pretty similar to the chassis of the 6/6+.

Can't they just make something fresh by themselves for once?

Yeah because Apple and every other OEM never copies from each other. Like large screens perhaps . No one has a patent on large screens no more than anyone has a patent on unibody designs.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Yeah because Apple and every other OEM never copies from each other. Like large screens perhaps . No one has a patent on large screens no more than anyone has a patent on unibody designs.

A large screen isn't a patentable design decision. Please play again.

Looking at that picture, if it's legit, they even went as far as copying the little antenna gaps except vertical... and the speaker grills and oh my...

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Looking at that picture, if it's legit, they even went as far as copying the little antenna gaps except vertical... and the speaker grills and oh my...
Neither is a unibody design... so next! :eek:
But will agree on the speaker grilles if that is a legit photo leak.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Who cares if they copy? I never understood this. It's like people have a vested interest in these technology companies. The iPhone is a beautiful design and I'd love to have it on an Android phone.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Neither is a unibody design... so next! :eek:
But will agree on the speaker grilles if that is a legit photo leak.

...and the antenna seams...and the entire rounded aluminum chassis...

Let's be real here, it's pretty clear they were at least "inspired."

----------

Who cares if they copy? I never understood this. It's like people have a vested interest in these technology companies. The iPhone is a beautiful design and I'd love to have it on an Android phone.

Because Samsung has demonstrated that they have interesting unique ideas and I just wish for once they'd apply some thinking to their hardware designs instead of simply being 2nd to the design race. They're much more capable than that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.