Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Verizon today announced (via Re/code) that it is planning on dropping the price of most of its More Everything data plans by $10 per month, making its service offerings more appealing in the increasingly competitive cellular market.

Verizon's 1GB data plan is now priced at $30 instead of $40, and a 2GB plan is priced at $40 instead of 50. Price drops extend all the way up to 8GB, available for $85 rather than $90, and there's also a $10 price cut on the company's highest tier 20GB plan, which is now available for $140 instead of $150.

verizon-more-everything-price-cuts.jpg
The revamped pricing tiers are available to both new customers and existing customers, but current Verizon subscribers must go to the MyVerizon site on Thursday to opt in to a new plan to get the discount as their bills will not be updated automatically.

Verizon's price cuts follow continued efforts by T-Mobile to shake up the mobile industry. T-Mobile has introduced a range of Un-Carrier options since 2013, uncoupling device costs from service costs, paying early termination fees, and more.

Most recently, T-Mobile announced a "Data Stash" program that allows customers to save unused data for up to 12 months. Sprint has also been offering aggressive promotions and discounts in an effort to draw customers from AT&T and Verizon.

Article Link: Verizon Drops Many Data Plan Prices by $10 Per Month

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I loathe Verizon, but it's great to see that clearly T-Mobile's vision of the industry is having positive, baby-step progress for everyone, not just their own.

DougTheImpaler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2006
Central Illinois
They had previously dropped the price of the un-changed plans. I got switched from 6GB to 10GB in December when they did it, and my bill actually went down because we're on Edge. The Edge discount went from $10/line to $25/line.

And it actually went down, not one of those "in theory it should go down but we'll find a way to screw you" things. Eventually they'll find a way to screw me, I'm sure.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
OK AT&T time for another change. What are you prepared to do?

Run lots of commercials trying to make it seem like the "strongest LTE signal" means the same as LTE everywhere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo2fRHYWgLk

Read the fine print though: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7qm4whlw3lhfrx/ATTstrongestLTEsignal.gif?dl=0

"Claim based ONLY on the avg. LTE signal strength for national carriers." Put up one tower and crank up the power. Let that be the gauge for measuring relative signal strength. Wallah: you would then have claim to the "strongest LTE signal."

It makes me think of Spinal Tap amplifiers being cranked up to 11 because... you know, that's one more than 10: "It's 1 louder isn't it?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
It seems that they dropped the price on the plans that probably have the least amount of users. My guess is that the majority of phone users are in the 8 to 16 gig range interms of the service they sign up for. Again, my guess is that this group makes up well north of 80 percent of users. So the price drop shoud not really impact their revenue.

Another way of putting it is that this was just a media attention grabbing move.

fiddysent

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2010
Rock Hill. NY
am I reading this correctly? You can get 700 minutes and unlimited messaging and 1GB of data for $35/month? what am I missing here?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
While the discount is appreciated, Verizon still has strange EDGE restrictions: (1) bringing your own device does not qualify for EDGE discount of $15/month and (2) only the first phone qualifies for EDGE discount.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
am I reading this correctly? You can get 700 minutes and unlimited messaging and 1GB of data for $35/month? what am I missing here?

Nothing is $35.
There is a 5, a 20, and a 30, and a 40...

These are only the 'Data plans' you then have to pay per line for 'Line Access'.

e.g.:
Pick the $30/mo 1GB 'data plan'.
Then you have to add smartphone lines at $40/mo each.

So 1GB becomes $70/mo +taxes and +fees for a single person.

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
While the discount is appreciated, Verizon still has strange EDGE restrictions: (1) bringing your own device does not qualify for EDGE discount of $15/month and (2) only the first phone qualifies for EDGE discount.
re: (1) Not to defend big red, but what would be in it for them to offer you a discount for bringing your own hardware?

re: (2) That's not correct, all lines on Edge qualify for the discount (if you have a big enough data plan). I have four lines on Edge and each one gets the $25/month line discount for our 15 GB/month plan.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
10 bucks....pathetic.
Clearly not dropping prices at all or dropping them by less than $10 is better.

----------

re: (1) Not to defend big red, but what would be in it for them to offer you a discount for bringing your own hardware?

re: (2) That's not correct, all lines on Edge qualify for the discount (if you have a big enough data plan). I have four lines on Edge and each one gets the $25/month line discount for our 15 GB/month plan.

Yeah, technically neither of those is really true.

EDGE discount doesn't apply to owned devices, but there are same type of month-to-month discounts (for owned devices) that apply ($15 off or $25 off depending on how much shared data you have). It might take a call to Verizon to get that discount added to any line that qualifies, but that same discount is there.

Any and all lines that qualify for either EDGE or month-to-month discounts can get them.

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
Really? They can't extend it to those of us who are on the 10GB plan?
Recently the 10 GB plan had an upgrade to 15 GB at no extra cost, at least that was the case in December. I was on 10 and when I heard about the promotion all I had to do was go online and update my plan to 15 GB/month for the same $100/month charge. I'm not sure if this promotion is still around, but you might ask.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
It is a start....

It is time for this data gouging to stop by the big 2. They have ridden that gravy train long enough.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Really? They can't extend it to those of us who are on the 10GB plan?
Think of it as you getting the value price this entire time. The other plans were too expensive so Verizon adjusted them. So in reality you WIN!
-Verizon Customer Rep (but not really)
Since these seem to likely be promotional prices, for the last couple or so months Verizon had better prices on some of the 10 GB and up plans (where 10 GB was $80 instead of the regular and current $100, and 15 GB was $100 instead of a higher price that it was before and currently again).

It seems like they are just switching promotions from offering better deals on some higher plans while not changing much for lower ones, to now offering better deals on lower ones while the higher ones have gone back to their regular more expensive prices.

----------

Why am I getting 15gb for $100?
You probably got on that promotion when that was offered over the last few months until it just ran out and this new promotion replaced it.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I was about to get mad until and read the part about existing users getting the discount too! I have a new plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.