Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LongApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
1. What limits the length of a video you record with an ipad air 2. Can you record 2 hours? Aside from storage?

2. There seems to be 16, 64, 128 GB versions. How would it hold up vs recording about 4-5 hours worth of vieo everyday?

3. Are there other problems I may run into with recording a few hours of video 5 days a week with the ipad air 2? Are there good systems where I can reliably get the videos without alot of wait and remove some of the hassle of file transfer and deletion? There is icloud and other cloud services though I am not sure how they would handle 1 hour videos.

4. Have you tried any of the clampshell cases for the ipad air 2?

5. What happens when you are recording a video with the tablet in a clampshell case like clamp case or zagg and then close the clampshell. The does the tablet turn off or keep recording? Does it stay cool or burn?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
1. What limits the length of a video you record with an ipad air 2. Can you record 2 hours? Aside from storage?

2. There seems to be 16, 64, 128 GB versions. How would it hold up vs recording about 4-5 hours worth of vieo everyday?

3. Are there other problems I may run into with recording a few hours of video 5 days a week with the ipad air 2? Are there good systems where I can reliably get the videos without alot of wait and remove some of the hassle of file transfer and deletion? There is icloud and other cloud services though I am not sure how they would handle 1 hour videos.

4. Have you tried any of the clampshell cases for the ipad air 2?

5. What happens when you are recording a video with the tablet in a clampshell case like clamp case or zagg and then close the clampshell. The does the tablet turn off or keep recording? Does it stay cool or burn?

You should start shooting in short segments of maybe 1-2 minutes each, at most, 3 minutes for a single segment. Edit them and merge them into a single video in iMovie or FCP X later.

At least, that's what I do as a cinematographer.

What's your usage that would require a single 2-hour video non-stop?

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
The only limitations would be battery life and storage. Two hours of HD video is a lot of storage, so expect to step up from the base model--especially if you plan on keeping other things on it.

I use an iPad Air as one of the cameras (I use 4-8 depending on the shoot) on a live music web series we do. It doesn't record non-stop for hours, but the display is on the entire time and it will typically record 1-2 hours of video (multiple clips) over a 3-5 hour shoot.

I typically see about 30% battery usage and if it goes beyond 2 hours of footage I'll definitely need to dump storage. (I shoot with a totally wiped iPad)

As for the cases, no, they won't make it stop recording, though they may cover up the camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.