Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akula971

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Perfidious Albion
My 2008 Mac Pro has been replaced for daily work by a Mac mini. But I still play windows games on the Mac Pro. In fact it only has one hard drive in it, that has Win 7 on it. The card in it now is a Radeon HD4870 series, and is showing its age.

Can I just put a GTX970 or similar in it?, assuming the power connections can be sorted. I'd love to give it a new lease of life, than spend a ton of cash on building a new windows gaming machine. Can it be done?

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
If you read through the 970 posts and the NVidia sticky post (probably just the first post and then pages from nearer the end of the thread) you will be able to get a good bit of advice about your proposed card.

Akula971

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Perfidious Albion
I'n not looking for a card to work in OSX, which the sticky thread alludes to. I only need it to work in windows. Hence my question.

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
I've had no issues with a Nvidia GTX 650 and ATI Radeon 5770 ... both being "PC" cards in my 08 mac pro.
When going into OSX neither of them display an image until the OS loads, I don't use windows often but I recall the display coming on during the windows boot.
Since booting in windows will run the bios emulation I don't think that you will have any issues with any card as long as the Mac has enough power to feed the card.

Akula971

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Perfidious Albion
I've had no issues with a Nvidia GTX 650 and ATI Radeon 5770 ... both being "PC" cards in my 08 mac pro.

Since booting in windows will run the bios emulation I don't think that you will have any issues with any card as long as the Mac has enough power to feed the card.

Thank you. I shall try the card in it and if it doesn't work, then I'll just build a new rig.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.