Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Idealist SW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Hi,

We'd like to announce a new app on the App Store:
Idealist — Shopping List, Grocery List

iTunes link:
http://itunes.apple.com/app/id948435603?mt=8

It is a shopping list app with a new UI approach. We no longer use tables and place each product in its own row. Instead, the products are presented as buttons and grouped into categories, while each category has its own colour.

PressReleaseScreenshot_320px.png

When a product is checked, its background is cleared and so it becomes less noticeable.

You can find more info and screenshots on our website:
http://www.idealistshopping.com

Idealist is available in English, French, German, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Japanese, Spanish, Portuguese and Russian for only $1.99.

We would appreciate any comments from you.

Thanks,
Idealist SW

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I like the idea, but I can't help but think that finding an item within the other items is going to be an issue. Having an option to make text bigger, so it's easier to focus on one part of the list at a time, would be a solution.

Idealist SW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Thanks a lot for the comment. We really need it at this stage.

No sure I understand exactly what you mean.

If your suggestion is to make products' font bigger then it seems like a nice proposal for something to add to settings, so that the user can configure the desired text size.
Of course there is a trade-off between text size and the number of items that would fit in a single line and on the whole screen. We did try to compare to the existing shopping list apps and selected the default text size that is actually larger than you see in other apps.

If you meant something else, please give us some more details. As I said, all your comments are very welcome at this point.

Thanks a lot!

AbeFrohman

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Haven't downloaded - frankly, not sure the novelty is worth $2 as yet another shopping list, but here's my suggestions from description and screenshots:

"Sharing lists" is one thing... anybody can email or text a list to anyone else, but the truly useful lists will sync. That's why my wife and I use the one we do - because either of us can add to the list and it will sync real-time. If yours did that, you'd be onto something.

I think I know what Jessica Lares was saying - if you have a long list, is there a way to enlarge or somehow emphasize the current section you're working on? Something like a vertically scrolling dock on a mac where the icons on the doc enlarge as your mouse hovers over it.... or like cover flow in many music apps.

So when you're shopping, you can scroll up or down to the section you're in and it will be enlarged and easier to spot the items you're looking to purchase. The colors are a great idea, but I think that's what she was saying. Not sure if the implementation would be overly difficult, especially while trying to integrate the fade-to-clear check-off you utilize.

Looks like a nice concept, but the sync between users is an important feature for me. (and if each user needed the app to sync, there's two sales instead of one.... but make it 99 cents).

Good luck with your app.

If you do decide to try to integrate sync & want beta testers, let me know.

Idealist SW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
This is very useful stuff.

The user sync feature is indeed missing. I will have to think a bit on how to implement it as user friendly as possible.

And as for the focus area for long lists, the concept is very interesting. Again, need some time to think how to graphically design it.

Thank you very much for you help!

BTW, if you are interested I can send you promo code via PM.

AbeFrohman

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Great - I'll gladly take a promo code and give additional feedback if you'd like.

Maybe the execution of the sharing is more work than I realize - you've got to have some sort of back end support to deal with user accounts and verification to link the two. Maybe that's why there aren't that many lists that sync like that. It would certainly seem to put yours into a whole new category.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I think I know what Jessica Lares was saying - if you have a long list, is there a way to enlarge or somehow emphasize the current section you're working on? Something like a vertically scrolling dock on a mac where the icons on the doc enlarge as your mouse hovers over it.... or like cover flow in many music apps.

So when you're shopping, you can scroll up or down to the section you're in and it will be enlarged and easier to spot the items you're looking to purchase. The colors are a great idea, but I think that's what she was saying. Not sure if the implementation would be overly difficult, especially while trying to integrate the fade-to-clear check-off you utilize.

I actually like that idea of items getting bigger as you scroll down.

I wouldn't worry about not being able to fit things on the screen. People won't care about scrolling, but they will be annoyed if they have to spend a minute trying to read the list every now and then. Most of us don't write shopping lists on notebook paper. It's mostly on something with wider lines, and something we can fold, etc.

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
Your app seems to have a lot of potential, I don't think there is anything alike in the App Store. Yeah, I would also make the text bigger. Did you thought about a lite version with a limited number of entries or one that is ad supported so people can try it?

Idealist SW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Thank you all for the comments.

Regarding the text becoming bigger or some king of a sliding window that enlarges the font, we need some time to figure out how to design it UI-wise.

The idea of a limited free version of the app came across our minds and we tried to read on the internet about its marketing effect. We still don't really know what to do here, no decision yet. Currently we will try to promote it with a small AdWords and maybe Facebook campaign.

Thanks again for the comments, they are most welcome.
Have a good weekend!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.