Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In addition to a new Photos app and emoji improvements, yesterday's developer release of the first OS X 10.10.3 beta also includes new direct support for Google's 2-Step Verification when setting up Google services in the Internet Accounts section of System Preferences.

2-Step Verification is an optional security setting that requires users to enter not only their account password but also a unique code sent by Google via phone app, text message, or voice call to a previously registered device or phone number, greatly enhancing account security.

Not all devices and apps support Google's 2-Step Verification, however, and as a backup Google also allows users to generate app-specific passwords to register a unique password for that device or app. The app-specific password can be revoked at any time by logging into the user's Google account for another time, making it easy to disable access on a device that has been lost or stolen.

On OS X 10.10.2 and earlier, users setting up their machines to access Google accounts with 2-Step Verification enabled have had to use this app-specific password option. Users trying to log in with their standard Google account passwords are met with error messages informing them they need to use this option.

yosemite_2fa_reject.jpg
OS X 10.10.2 requiring an app-specific password for a Google account protected with 2-Step Verification
But as noticed by developer Jonathan Wight, the new OS X 10.10.3 beta now fully supports 2-Step Verification, allowing users to log in with their standard passwords and unique verification codes.

yosemite_google_2step.jpg
OS X 10.10.3 requesting verification code after logging in with standard password
The change makes logging in with 2-Step protected accounts much simpler and increases security by making sure the user attempting to log in has a secondary trusted device to provide the verification code.

(Thanks, Sean!)

Article Link: OS X 10.10.3 Beta Adds Support for Google 2-Step Verification on Internet Accounts

viorelgn

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Romania
I have an Apple Airport Extreme router. After my iMac wakes from sleep, I often cannot connect to Wi-Fi, even with OSX 10.10.2. And yet my iPad and iPhone connect perfectly every time. What does this tell you? Apple gets it right with iOS, but they are no longer putting the resources into Macs and OSX. It shouldn’t take this many months to get the bugs out of a new OS.

zwily

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2015
It looks like they probably just added support for google's OAuth instead of username/password.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
The "webpage-inside-a-sheet" look looks pretty lazy, but it is a beta.

I have an Apple Airport Extreme router. After my iMac wakes from sleep, I often cannot connect to Wi-Fi, even with OSX 10.10.2. And yet my iPad and iPhone connect perfectly every time. What does this tell you? Apple gets it right with iOS, but they are no longer putting the resources into Macs and OSX. It shouldn’t take this many months to get the bugs out of a new OS.

It doesn't tell you anything. Everyone has different experiences...for me, iOS 8 is way buggier than OS X, especially Safari.

DCstewieG

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
U.S.A.
I could be wrong but I think it needs to be that way to hand control over to Google to do the authentication. That's the same thing you'll see in any application that supports their 2-factor setup.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast

Not to berate you, or knock your complaints... But not sure what this has to do with the article (2-Step Verification)...

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Please, you expect us to believe that anybody at Apple has been doing anything besides working on Emoji?
S0tFrKk.gif

Last edited:

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
This is great news for me! I have 2-Step on two of my Google accounts. Can't wait for 10.10.3 so I don't have to bother with App-Specific passwords anymore. Now if Apple could get this working under iOS, I would be extremely happy.

kettle

macrumors 65816

It doesn't tell you anything. Everyone has different experiences...for me, iOS 8 is way buggier than OS X, especially Safari.

From 'my' experience - the Romans did more lasting damage to Britain as an ecology than the Germans ever could - luckily I hadn't personally paid either of those groups through the nose for premium software and hardware integration.

I just can't believe these are 'notable' improvements on an OS with more problems than Mavericks (beta or not) - and with a precedence of not fixing all the previous OS problems before launching another round of artificially induced retirement for powerful and relevant Apple hardware. (Yosemite)

ENduro

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Detroit, MI
Here's an idea! Shore up iCloud/iTunes. I'm locked out of my iTunes account... When I go to answer the security questions 9/10 times the year option doesn't load so I can't answer what day my own ***** birthday is correctly (safari, chrome, PC, Mac, iPad... all of them behave this way). If I get luck and it does work, I get locked out as soon as I try to sign back in. However, the months I've had this situation I've been able to rent movies, buy apps in both app stores and use my iCloud email and photo functions without issue.

Sorry to hijack but when I see them working on stuff like this when there own **** is wonky pisses me off.

Rant over.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
This is great news for me! I have 2-Step on two of my Google accounts. Can't wait for 10.10.3 so I don't have to bother with App-Specific passwords anymore. Now if Apple could get this working under iOS, I would be extremely happy.

Same here. App-specific passwords are just a pain. Once, I had to sign back into my Gmail account in Mail.app, and I tried to put my regular password in, but it would not be accepted. It took me a few minutes to realize that I had to enter the app-specific password.

This will be a VERY welcomed addition, as well as the Photos app, which I am totally stoked for.

Apple: Get this and Photos done right and well, THEN focus on adding diversity to emojis. I'm sure that there is a third-party add-on or something for it, a non-issue for most.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

Have you ever tried giving your iMac a static ip?

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Google changing their authentication methods was the reason I quit Gmail as my "Internet account" a while back. I never really understood how it worked, only Mail kept failing to connect randomly.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I may get blasted for this, but it doesn't work with Gmail configured as POP. It forces IMAP, and you try to set it up manually, it refuses to configure the account.

Hrummmmmpppp

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
finally! I've deleted my gmail accounts out of frustration and can't view YouTube on Apple TV anymore due to the two-step and nothing i try using the forum guides has solved this problem (not that an OS X update will fix the later, but I felt the need to vent frustration).

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
finally! I've deleted my gmail accounts out of frustration and can't view YouTube on Apple TV anymore due to the two-step and nothing i try using the forum guides has solved this problem (not that an OS X update will fix the later, but I felt the need to vent frustration).

It's a sure sign of an impending apocalypse - Google and Apple "working together".

padapada

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
OS X 10.10.3 Beta Adds Support for Google 2-Step Verification on Internet Acc...

Have you ever tried giving your iMac a static ip?

Of course he bought an iMac to go back to the Middle Ages. Honestly think it is not Apples fault. He must be holding it wrong.

Customers are paying top dollar and get an OS/hardware combination that does not work. Wifi and DNS are horrible examples.
Customers should not put up with this and certainly not accept workarounds as an acceptable solution.
There is no excuse for getting wifi and DNS wrong. It's the same company that gets rid of Ethernet ports!!!

Still hoping Apple gets their act together, so I can allow myself to buy a new MBP in Q1 2016 to replace my 2010 17" laptop. But I am afraid that Apple is unable to solve the UI lag: super hardware, inferior software.
Not buying a maxed out MBP to get frustrated by the software.

Feeling better now.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.