Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JJ London

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Hi All,

I foolishly over the years have used my .mac address which all my friends and network have for signing up to newsletters and the like.

My mailbox is overwhelmed with emails and I scan and hope I don't lost important ones.

I have a few key contacts logged as VIPs which is great (love the notification feature you get for VIP contacts!).

However, I am struggling with my endless spam which amounts to hundreds of emails a day.

What I want to know is can I set up folders with rules so that this mail automatically goes into them? And is anyone else doing this and does it work well? I was thinking to set them up as folders 'on my mac' so that they don't take up iCloud storage - and at the end of the day, most of it is probably junk anyway. (Yes, some of it I can unsubscribe/delete but that takes too much time every day and I want an inbox that's only full of 'real' mail.

I have looked at smart folders but the problem seems to be they stay in your inbox, whereas what I really wanted was to get my inbox down to real people and projects correspondence and anything 'optional' into the folders with rules.

Anyone else having any success like this, or is the only really sensible option to unsubscribe and resubscribe to newsletters I still want to be on?

Many thanks for you help.

According to apple help when helping me with an iPhone backup, I have the largest mail account they have ever seen...

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Yes you can do this. I gave been doing it for years. I have rules established which sorts my incoming Mail into various folders based on sender or subject. I get a lot of mail from businesses I buy from so I don't want them flagged as spam so they go into a "Vendor mail" folder. Different mailing lists go into folders for that particular activity. well over half of my incoming mail gets sorted into other folders. I think I have about 30 or so rules handling my mail.

You are right about smart folders, they do little to help you get to inbox zero. The important task is to find a workflow that works for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.