Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackieman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
Hello to all of you here

This is my first posting here and I have a problem that I am searten you can help me with !

I own MacBook Pro (retina 15" late 2012) and it was working perfekt until few month ago (last update of osX) and I notised that it has slowed down my computer and it seems like the memory is not enough (right now I have 8gb), most of the time I just work with music, my cd collection, XLD, decoding, encoding and stuff.............never work with too many applications simultaneously, maybe 2 or 3 at max, and any way I feel like my memory that I have is not enough !?
Sometimes everything just freezes and I have to restart (safari problem), or sometimes I noticed the files which are moved to another folder are without the name for a short time and then name comes to it, very strange things any way.....

Do you think It's because of memory is not enough or is there anything else I might look at it !??

If memory is issue, what brand do you reckon is ok, corsair or kingston ?

Any suggestions is appreciated and thank you for your time and help.

Best regards from Sweden

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hello to all of you here

This is my first posting here and I have a problem that I am searten you can help me with !

I own MacBook Pro (retina 15" late 2012) and it was working perfekt until few month ago (last update of osX) and I notised that it has slowed down my computer and it seems like the memory is not enough (right now I have 8gb), most of the time I just work with music, my cd collection, XLD, decoding, encoding and stuff.............never work with too many applications simultaneously, maybe 2 or 3 at max, and any way I feel like my memory that I have is not enough !?
Sometimes everything just freezes and I have to restart (safari problem), or sometimes I noticed the files which are moved to another folder are without the name for a short time and then name comes to it, very strange things any way.....

Do you think It's because of memory is not enough or is there anything else I might look at it !??

If memory is issue, what brand do you reckon is ok, corsair or kingston ?

Any suggestions is appreciated and thank you for your time and help.

Best regards from Sweden

Memory can't be upgraded on any of the rMBPs, because it's soldered.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I phoned to Apple & they told me that I "can" upgrade memory !???

Then, you don't have a retina model.
The non-retina 15-inch was still sold as a 2012 model.

If your MBPro 15-inch has a slot for a DVD, then it's not a retina model
If there's no DVD slot, then you have a retina model.

If your MBPro already has 8GB of memory, then upgrading will not likely help, and you have some other issue, like a failing hard drive.

mackieman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
Then, you don't have a retina model.
The non-retina 15-inch was still sold as a 2012 model.

If your MBPro 15-inch has a slot for a DVD, then it's not a retina model
If there's no DVD slot, then you have a retina model.

If your MBPro already has 8GB of memory, then upgrading will not likely help, and you have some other issue, like a failing hard drive.

My MBP is retina, there are no dvd-slot.

So you think that there can maybe be an hard drive issues ?

Is there anything else maybe ?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I phoned to Apple & they told me that I "can" upgrade memory !???

All retinas have soldered RAM.

Apple may have assumed you were using a mid-2012 non-retina variant.

And all retinas do not have DVD drives.

----------

My MBP is retina, there are no dvd-slot.

So you think that there can maybe be an hard drive issues ?

Is there anything else maybe ?

How full is your hard drive?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your MBPro retina does not have a hard drive - all retinas have flash storage.
Boot to your recovery partition, run Disk Utility, and click Repair Disk.
Boot to your Apple Hardware Test (restart, while holding the D key)
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257
Run both the standard and extended tests.

Finally, boot back into the recovery partition, and reinstall OS X. That reinstall will often "clean up" the system installation, and can clear up some software issues. You won't lose any of your files/music/applications.

And, if that hasn't helped anything, you can back up everything to an external, erase your storage, and do a clean install of OS X. Then, restore all your files and apps. Of course, that will take some time to complete.

mackieman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
[/COLOR]

How full is your hard drive?[/QUOTE]

It is totaly full.

I am trying to remove all files that I don't need to relief hard disk.

Any way thanks to all of you for the help.

----------

Your MBPro retina does not have a hard drive - all retinas have flash storage.
Boot to your recovery partition, run Disk Utility, and click Repair Disk.
Boot to your Apple Hardware Test (restart, while holding the D key)
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257
Run both the standard and extended tests.

Finally, boot back into the recovery partition, and reinstall OS X. That reinstall will often "clean up" the system installation, and can clear up some software issues. You won't lose any of your files/music/applications.

And, if that hasn't helped anything, you can back up everything to an external, erase your storage, and do a clean install of OS X. Then, restore all your files and apps. Of course, that will take some time to complete.

I'll do that, thank you very much for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.