Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Since I've only had my 6 for a week, I still can get Applecare if I wanted to and cancel carrier insurance through VZW. The question is what is the better way to go? The only thing stopping me from getting AppleCare is no coverage for lost and stolen. The replacement fee of $79 is nice compared to $199 though. For those with experience with AC+, what would be the best way to go?

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
those with experience with AC+, what would be the best way to go?

I really prefer AppleCare+ over carrier insurance. All carrier insurance, AFAIK, is billed monthly, which I am not a fan of. I pay $100 for AppleCare+, and then I get2 different instances of $79 replacement fees. Which, of course, are overnighted free from Apple, and it's as easy as it could possibly be. Not to mention the extra warranty AppleCare+ gets for your lightning cable, AC adapter, etc.

I certainly do miss not having lost/stolen protection as I've had with previous insurances, but I've luckily never lost a phone and am not planning on it ;)

nathan.kindle

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2014
That's the only reason I go with carrier is for the lost or stolen protection. These days it's to easy to leave it at a bar or drop it, I kinda feel like what's the point of having insurance for a phone that lost or stolen. Also with att insurance your deductible goes down over time if you have no claims.

Judy795

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2015
I just dropped VZW cause it's $179 deductible when you make a claim, even with the 11$ per month. I got AppleCare and don't plan on losing the phone.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
I really prefer AppleCare+ over carrier insurance. All carrier insurance, AFAIK, is billed monthly, which I am not a fan of. I pay $100 for AppleCare+, and then I get2 different instances of $79 replacement fees. Which, of course, are overnighted free from Apple, and it's as easy as it could possibly be. Not to mention the extra warranty AppleCare+ gets for your lightning cable, AC adapter, etc.

I certainly do miss not having lost/stolen protection as I've had with previous insurances, but I've luckily never lost a phone and am not planning on it ;)

Do you get new phones from Apple or refurbs? I do like the overnighted idea.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Do you get new phones from Apple or refurbs? I do like the overnighted idea.

It's more than likely an Apple refurb, although I do suppose some lucky few will receive new phones. Normally I don't like refurbs, but after learning how high Apple's standards are for refurbs, I really don't mind.

I do know that some with carrier insurance will receive brand new phones- in the box with all new accessories (happened to a friend of mine with ATT insurance about 2 weeks ago). If a new phone is a big priority for you, carrier insurance may be the way to go.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
It's more than likely an Apple refurb, although I do suppose some lucky few will receive new phones. Normally I don't like refurbs, but after learning how high Apple's standards are for refurbs, I really don't mind.

I do know that some with carrier insurance will receive brand new phones- in the box with all new accessories (happened to a friend of mine with ATT insurance about 2 weeks ago). If a new phone is a big priority for you, carrier insurance may be the way to go.

Yeah, it's a tough decision. I wouldn't mind getting AC+ if the Apple Store was close to me. I'd probably end up having to mail in my phones if there were anything wrong with it. Also the lost & stolen part gets me every time. Knock on wood, I haven't lost my phone yet, but you never know.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I prefer carrier insurance because it covers you for theft and loss. So that way I'm covered whatever happens. My iPhone 4 was stolen a few years back and I wasn't insured. Now I always insure my phones.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
I prefer carrier insurance because it covers you for theft and loss. So that way I'm covered whatever happens. My iPhone 4 was stolen a few years back and I wasn't insured. Now I always insure my phones.

That is very true.. Just wondering why AC+ doesn't. I'd be sold if it did.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Do you think Applecare is worth it over carrier ins?

No, not really. And I will tell you why.

Screens repairs are about the most common repair on iPhones. It's $109 to repair the 6 and $129 all others. Repairing the first screen out of pocket is cheaper than if you had bought AC. Repairing it the second time, you will have spent the same amount as you would have with Apple care (or slightly more with an iPhone 6). The only real benefit, at this point, from AC is water damage and if you royally screw up up your phone.

I see the carrier insurance as a better option as it covers theft. If you just break your screen its still cheaper to just take the phone in and have the screen repaired (through Apple). For everything else more serious, you have the carrier insurance to fall back on.

The best option still, is to just put some money aside each month in case you need to pay for repairs/replacements. This will all depend on how much you can afford, easily. Most people looking for insurance, in any form, do so because it would be a severe financial hardship to replace a phone if they had to.

klo6

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
Ohio
I prefer carrier insurance for the theft protection. Aug '14, my car was broken into and my purse was stolen with my iPad 4 in it. Thanks to VZW overnighting my replacement, I had it in hand in less than 48 hours.

It was only a couple months old at the time so I was worried that they would send a refurb. The VZW rep tried to get me to switch to a black iPad but I insisted NO and asked for a supervisor, who admitted that they wanted to send black because that was the color they had as a refurb in stock. I refused to give in and they ended up agreeing to send a brand new white one. So it is possible to get lucky and get a new one if they don't have your configuration as a refurb in stock.

I obviously didn't PLAN on having my car broken in to, but was relieved to have the insurance (auto=window, VZW=iPad, PNCBank=theft protection on bank account). So to anyone that says "I don't plan on losing my phone"...do you have auto insurance because you PLAN on crashing your car?

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I prefer carrier insurance for the theft protection. Aug '14, my car was broken into and my purse was stolen with my iPad 4 in it. Thanks to VZW overnighting my replacement, I had it in hand in less than 48 hours.

It was only a couple months old at the time so I was worried that they would send a refurb. The VZW rep tried to get me to switch to a black iPad but I insisted NO and asked for a supervisor, who admitted that they wanted to send black because that was the color they had as a refurb in stock. I refused to give in and they ended up agreeing to send a brand new white one. So it is possible to get lucky and get a new one if they don't have your configuration as a refurb in stock.

I obviously didn't PLAN on having my car broken in to, but was relieved to have the insurance (auto=window, VZW=iPad, PNCBank=theft protection on bank account). So to anyone that says "I don't plan on losing my phone"...do you have auto insurance because you PLAN on crashing your car?

Crashing cars is fun. I plan to do that every day. Having insurance means we can get a new car to crash. ;)

Hold a minute, I see a tree ahead :)

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014

Good idea, and that's definitely a scary story!! Yeah, I have VZW's insurance too so it's good to hear that they overnighted you a replacement!!

Viscerol

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
Sounds like he's paying for the insurance AND extended warranty. You need to ask specifically for just the insurance, otherwise they bundle it together.

I'm gonna be pissed if this is true. I'm paying $33 a month for insurance on 3 lines through Sprint. Should be $21. That's $144 a year extra for something I didn't ask for.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The best option still, is to just put some money aside each month in case you need to pay for repairs/replacements. This will all depend on how much you can afford, easily. Most people looking for insurance, in any form, do so because it would be a severe financial hardship to replace a phone if they had to.
I agree. This isn't like insuring your auto or home where damages can run you thousands of dollars. If most folks just put aside the money they would have been paying for phone insurance every month over the years (and factoring in the deductible), that's probably going to be enough to buy a couple of iPhones already unless you're super careless.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I'm gonna be pissed if this is true. I'm paying $33 a month for insurance on 3 lines through Sprint. Should be $21. That's $144 a year extra for something I didn't ask for.
I'm not sure about Sprint, but I know that's the case with Verizon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.