Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Jan 27, 2003, 12:13 PM   #1
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
NorthWest Passage Might Open Up 2080!

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science...eut/index.html

Good news for shipping, eh? But it looks like it might be possible, at least seasonally within a few decades.

But what really got me and why I'm posting this little tidbit is the caption to the picture (which is repeated in the content later with out much additional info)

"Japan has also expressed interest in transporting nuclear waste to Europe through the Arctic, a plan denounced by environmentalists who say it could get trapped in ice. "

Two questions: Why? and Where?

This makes no sense to me.

D
Old Jan 27, 2003, 08:44 PM   #2
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
evidently no one else thinks this is interesting. May be good for shipping, tho i think it'll be a long time before a route becomes established.. the article talks about things like neglected ports and costs of reenforcing hulls...

overall, tho, i think it's sad, just one more example of how we're speeding global warming right along... to some extent it's natural, but wow... too fast...

pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 08:57 PM   #3
alex_ant
Banned

So if the polar ice caps are melting, doesn't that mean sea levels are rising? The high temp here yesterday was like 6 degrees F or something ridiculous. This global warming thing is great! The sooner Los Angeles is overtaken by the sea, the better, I say.
alex_ant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 11:03 PM   #4
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Global warming is happening and right now all we're really seeing is a change in weather patterns. By 2080 the oceans might be several feet higher than they are today - its still anybodies guess as to what is really going to happen.

But my biggest issue with the story is why is Japan sending Europe its nuclear waste? That just doesn't make any sense to me. Especially since there really isn't that much empty land to hide away something like that securely for eons which is what it will take.

D

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events