Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enoch07

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
I was trying to get rid of any files left from the adobe suite. I went into Finder and clicked applications. I set the search to system files and searched for "adobe". I pressed command+a and moved everything to trash. I emptied the trash. I shut my computer down. I thought It would be a good idea to reset pram. I pressed the power button and held the keys command+option+P+R. The mac started then turned back off. It started again but I got distracted and and kept the keys held down. It restarted a second time. When the progress bar finished, I selected my account and tried to login. I had to click it 3 times for it to let me type a password. When I entered my password, I got the spinning beachball for a few seconds. I was booted into OS X Yosemite. This is when I realized something was wrong. I looked at he top left corner, there was no apple. Just a blank space. I clicked it, a blank menu showed up. I couldn't do anything with any applications. I had to shut it down with the power button and reboot it. Same situation. I think I broke my computer. Is there a solution to this?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
From the sounds of it, you selected all the files that came back from your spotlight search and deleted them.

Were you presented with a prompt to enter your password?

Given that you don't know what you deleted and your Mac is no longer operating as it should, your only option AFAIK, is to reload OSX.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Deleting all Adobe-related system files like that was pretty… shortsighted. OS X does have system components from Adobe as well, e.g. core graphics components. If you have a Time Machine backup from before this, then I suggest you restore your Mac to that point and save all personal files on an external or cloud drive. Alternatively, you need to reinstall OS X to restore system files (this would leave your personal files intact). Both options can be accessed from Recovery mode (press and hold command + R before your Mac boots).

Enoch07

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
From the sounds of it, you selected all the files that came back from your spotlight search and deleted them.

Were you presented with a prompt to enter your password?

Given that you don't know what you deleted and your Mac is no longer operating as it should, your only option AFAIK, is to reload OSX.

How on earth do i reload os x?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How on earth do i do that?

Well if you have a fairly recent computer, reboot it, and hold the cmd-r keys down to boot into the recovery partition. Then reinstall OSX. You should be able to do so without affecting your home folder. If you can boot up your computer now, but its not working too well, see if you can back up your data before re-installing OSX. My point here is you want to be sure to have a backup, if you hadn't backed up your computer before, do so now (of you can).

Enoch07

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
Well if you have a fairly recent computer, reboot it, and hold the cmd-r keys down to boot into the recovery partition. Then reinstall OSX. You should be able to do so without affecting your home folder. If you can boot up your computer now, but its not working too well, see if you can back up your data before re-installing OSX. My point here is you want to be sure to have a backup, if you hadn't backed up your computer before, do so now (of you can).

My computer is not very recent. It's a 2010 model. Also don't I need an Apple ID for that? Because if so I don't have one.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My computer is not very recent. It's a 2010 model. Also don't I need an Apple ID for that? Because if so I don't have one.

If you're running Yosemite, (you posted in the Yosemite forum) you can reboot the computer with cmd-r

Otherwise you'll need to dig out the system disks that came with the computer and reboot with them in the drive.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
He says it booted into Yosemite and that is when he realised something was wrong.

OP what bootable systems did you have? Just Yosemite or Yosemite and?

How did you install Yosemite - do you have a recovery partition at all?

Enoch07

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015

I just reinstalled OS X. It didn't solve the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.