Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
It feels like our AppleTV works worse and worse with every software update. It worked flawlessly when we first bought it: our iPhones would easily connect to the AppleTV and stream music.

Now, many software updates later, it takes numerous attempts just to wake up the AppleTV and start streaming music from an iPhone. I typically have to start playing music on my iPhone first, then select AppleTV, then wait a few minutes and repeat the process several times until it works.

Things have become even worse after one of the last updates: AppleTV still appears as an available device from an iPhone, but selecting it and starting playing music does not wake the AppleTV up. I either have to wake it up manually using the remote or keep it always on.

Also, after one of the latest updates, AppleTV stopped supporting gapless playback when music is steamed from an iPhone. It happens only if I steam from an iPhone to the AppleTV: If I used headphones, bluetooth devices, or stream from a Macbook Pro, then it's normal gapless playback.

I tried resetting the AppleTV numerous times with no improvements.

I'm quite sure that the problem is not with my iPhone: the same thing happens with all our iPhones (we have several in the house). Also, I have recently upgraded from an iPhone 5 to iPhone 6, and it's the same story with the new device.

I'm believe that there are no problems with our wi-fi network: AirPlay works absolutely fine from the Macbook Pro every time.

Can anything be done?

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
It feels like our AppleTV works worse and worse with every software update. It worked flawlessly when we first bought it: our iPhones would easily connect to the AppleTV and stream music.

Now, many software updates later, it takes numerous attempts just to wake up the AppleTV and start streaming music from an iPhone. I typically have to start playing music on my iPhone first, then select AppleTV, then wait a few minutes and repeat the process several times until it works.

Things have become even worse after one of the last updates: AppleTV still appears as an available device from an iPhone, but selecting it and starting playing music does not wake the AppleTV up. I either have to wake it up manually using the remote or keep it always on.

Also, after one of the latest updates, AppleTV stopped supporting gapless playback when music is steamed from an iPhone. It happens only if I steam from an iPhone to the AppleTV: If I used headphones, bluetooth devices, or stream from a Macbook Pro, then it's normal gapless playback.

I tried resetting the AppleTV numerous times with no improvements.

I'm quite sure that the problem is not with my iPhone: the same thing happens with all our iPhones (we have several in the house). Also, I have recently upgraded from an iPhone 5 to iPhone 6, and it's the same story with the new device.

I'm believe that there are no problems with our wi-fi network: AirPlay works absolutely fine from the Macbook Pro every time.

Can anything be done?
Interesting, I'm not having any similar issues whatsoever. I tested 3 iPhones, a 6+ and a 4S each running the latest iOS 8.1.3 and a 3GS running 6.1.6. All were able to wake up the ATV and play music. I also ran the same test from my MacBook and no problems there either.

You never mentioned how you're attempting to AirPlay music on each of the devices. Are you using Apple apps?

The only ATV related issue that I'm continuously having isn't with the ATV but rather the iTunes software running on my MacBook needs to be restarted constantly so that the ATV can see my local iTunes library.

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Hi, Yes, I use Apple apps only for AirPlay: swipe from the bottom on an iPhone and to get the control center and then select AppleTV. By the way, one more issue: The play/pause button in the control center often becomes unresponsive once AppleTV is selected.

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
Well, if you're able to consistently AirPlay music to the ATV from your MacBook, that proves that both the ATV and your WiFi network are working properly. I also don't think that the issues you're having with the iPhones is AirPlay related at all.

I suspect that your iPhones are intermittently connecting to the WiFi network that your ATV is connected to. Also, the AirPlay icon is just a cached indicator and it doesn't necessarily mean that the iPhone can actually see the ATV. The two devices need to be connected to the same network in order to be able to communicate with each other.

I suggest starting to troubleshoot it from an iPhone WiFi connectivity perspective. Also, make sure you delete any "remembered networks" that your phone could be connecting to that you want it to forget

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Thanks for your response. I probably should have given more details.

Half the time, the AppleTV simply would not wake up. But also very often there is communication between the iPhone and AppleTV, but Airplay would not work. In later cases, when I try to Airplay music from my iPhone, AppleTV would show on the screen a message with the name of the song I'm trying to play. The message would go away after a second or so, but music would not start.

There is also an issue with gapless playback which often does not work with AppleTV.

I found a few other related discussions on the web, which describe similar problems:

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2oiysd/ios_8_and_apple_tv_62_have_turned_my_airplay/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6632168

All this makes me thing that something is broken with AirPlay and AppleTV.

Well, if you're able to consistently AirPlay music to the ATV from your MacBook, that proves that both the ATV and your WiFi network are working properly. I also don't think that the issues you're having with the iPhones is AirPlay related at all.

I suspect that your iPhones are intermittently connecting to the WiFi network that your ATV is connected to. Also, the AirPlay icon is just a cached indicator and it doesn't necessarily mean that the iPhone can actually see the ATV. The two devices need to be connected to the same network in order to be able to communicate with each other.

I suggest starting to troubleshoot it from an iPhone WiFi connectivity perspective. Also, make sure you delete any "remembered networks" that your phone could be connecting to that you want it to forget

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
Thanks for your response. I probably should have given more details.

Half the time, the AppleTV simply would not wake up. But also very often there is communication between the iPhone and AppleTV, but Airplay would not work. In later cases, when I try to Airplay music from my iPhone, AppleTV would show on the screen a message with the name of the song I'm trying to play. The message would go away after a second or so, but music would not start.

There is also an issue with gapless playback which often does not work with AppleTV.

I found a few other related discussions on the web, which describe similar problems:

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2oiysd/ios_8_and_apple_tv_62_have_turned_my_airplay/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6632168

All this makes me thing that something is broken with AirPlay and AppleTV.
Understood but the problem is with "intermittent" communication. And why keep blaming the AppleTV when you have already proven that it isn't the problem? There is something wrong on the iPhone end with WiFi connectivity or the AirPlay software running on the iPhone.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
google your main router model and airplay.

I've been using airplay for almost 10 years, and all of the problems i've had with it have been fixed by messing with the main router.

check in particular for a setting called WMM.

nbernste

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2015
Airplay from ipad to two speakers simultaneously

Hi

Anyone know how to send music from your ipad to two airplay devices (speakers) at the same time please? It allows me to select two or more at the same time on my mac but when I try to do it via my ipad by swiping up, it only ever seems to allow me to do it to one speaker.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

NB

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
There is something wrong on the iPhone end with WiFi connectivity or the AirPlay software running on the iPhone.

It's unlikely that the same problem happened simultaneously with all 4 iPhones in our house. It must be something else.

----------

google your main router model and airplay.

I've been using airplay for almost 10 years, and all of the problems i've had with it have been fixed by messing with the main router.

check in particular for a setting called WMM.

Thanks. I'm using a Time Capsule. I could not find any settings for WMM in the Airport Utility.

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Mystery solved: In 2013 Apple started a fee replacement program for some 3rd generation AppleTV's with wi-fi issues:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/04/apple-tv-with-wi-fi-problems-you-could-get-a-free-replacement/

It turns out that my unit falls within the range of serial numbers eligible for replacement. I've been struggling with AppleTV issues for at least two years, but never came across that information. I don't know how it escaped my attention, but at least there is an explanation now. I'm scheduling an appointment at the Apple store. Hopefully, the program still goes on and they will replace my unit.

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Just a quick update: I went to the Apple store today and my AppleTV was quickly replaced with a new one, even though my unit was over 2 years old. I checked the new unit at home an everything works flawlessly so far. The problems I was experiencing had nothing to do with my router or the network.

If you are experiencing wi-fi issues with your AppleTV similar to mine, check if your unit falls under the 2013 replacement program, before any troubleshooting. I've seen quite a few posts on different forums from people describing similar issues who are unaware of the replacement program. Somehow it went under the radar.

I came across the replacement program only after searching the web for AppleTV's randomly turning off (another issue that became very common in the last few weeks before the replacement).

pn247

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2015
UK
Great result :)

Just a quick update: I went to the Apple store today and my AppleTV was quickly replaced with a new one, even though my unit was over 2 years old. I checked the new unit at home an everything works flawlessly so far. The problems I was experiencing had nothing to do with my router or the network.

If you are experiencing wi-fi issues with your AppleTV similar to mine, check if your unit falls under the 2013 replacement program, before any troubleshooting. I've seen quite a few posts on different forums from people describing similar issues who are unaware of the replacement program. Somehow it went under the radar.

I came across the replacement program only after searching the web for AppleTV's randomly turning off (another issue that became very common in the last few weeks before the replacement).

Nicely found. I have a Apple TV 3rd gen in the bedroom that I may well be taking into Apple for replacement.

As an aside, AirPlay has been a real pain on iOS8 in general but has been much more stable since 8.2 became available. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.