Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Hello all,

In preparation for an upgrade to 10.5, I ran permission repair and verify disk. Never had been done, ever. 10.4.11 PPC Mini.

I also wanted to run DiskWarrior. First thought to clone the drive to an external firewire drive.

Carbon Copy Cloner got about 1/4 then stopped. Tried again (default parameters) and let it sit for 5-7 min. upon return still stuck at 1/4 progress. Had to force quit.

Then booted from FW external to run DW 4.2 (10.5.7). It got part way through then hung up.

Decided to call it quits for the day. Have since found DiskWarrior 3 which is PPC only but there is still the CCC issue.

Comments appreciated.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Cloning a disk can take a long time, over an hour for slower drives or lots of data. Try using Activity Monitor's disk activity pane to see if it's still doing stuff.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Good point, was about 15 min overall. Have not used a PPC 1.25gHz for some time, are you thinking this could take a hour or more?
I've had clones take three or four hours. All depends on how much you have on the hard drive and how large the hard drive is.

A lof ot the time too it will seem to be frozen, but because it's in an area of the disk where there is nothing but small files, the progress bar does not advance noticeably.

Last edited:

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Right you were.

Went out to the garage to work on my honey do list, came back 45 min later and it was just finishing up the clone.

Now to try DiskWarrior. Guess I should try v3 since it is the same vintage as the PPC Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.