Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilandmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Remote island
Hi,

At idle, Core A temp is at about 71° C Core B at 81° C
and fan B is really humming.

Now if I launch Geekbench 3, the temps "appear" to fall back to normal,
fans speed comes down as long as the cpu's are loaded :mad:

using istats.

ilandmac

matthewtoney

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Hi,

At idle, Core A temp is at about 71° C Core B at 81° C
and fan B is really humming.

Now if I launch Geekbench 3, the temps "appear" to fall back to normal,
fans speed comes down as long as the cpu's are loaded :mad:

using istats.

ilandmac

Sounds like you're quoting the "Core 0 Relative to ProcHot" sensor in iStat and not the "CPU A/B Tdiode" temp or "CPU A/B Heatsink" temp. Post those and we'll see - the "Relative to ProcHot" works backwards - it shows the degrees *until* it reaches its thermal limit so the higher it is the cooler the CPU is running. (which is why in your case when you load up Geekbench and start stressing it, it actually goes down)

We've actually discussed this here and there in a bunch of different threads on here lately - iStat shows that sensor correctly, but *incorrectly* starts marking it red when it goes up too far rather than when it goes down too far.

I've got the same 2 X5690's in mine (2009 upgraded to 5,1 firmware) and my temps at idle are:

CPU A Tdiode: 41c
CPU A Core 0 Relative to ProcHot: 61c
CPU A Heatsink: 40c
CPU B Tdiode: 35c
CPU B Core 0 Relative to ProcHot: 68c
CPU B Heatsink: 33c

Granted, I've modified my fan controls so that intake/exhaust run at a min. of 850rpm all the time rather than the default 600rpm on a 2009.

ilandmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Remote island
Istats #

Hi Matt,

Man this thing had me scared, here's the istat (My first upload, hope it works)

Attachments

• Istat.jpg
    Istat.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 241

matthewtoney

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Hi Matt,

Man this thing had me scared, here's the istat (My first upload, hope it works)

The temps look fine, although there's a rather larger-than-normal diff between CPU A and B here. (CPU A is pretty much always a big hotter than CPU B - purely due to where it is located on the tray) That seems to be because of the high speed of your booster 2 fan though. I'm assuming you haven't used any fan control software and set that high speed on purpose right?

You'll probably want to do an SMC reset and see if you can power it up without that booster 2 fan going like crazy - it shouldn't be doing that.

ilandmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Remote island
Actually I was using Macs Fan control, trying to cool things down which from your explanation only made things worse because the differential in temps kept creeping up in red....

Great swap though, I went from 15K to 31K on the geekbench 3.

Thanks for your help! That Istat thing had me going crazy.

ilandmac

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
Actually I was using Macs Fan control, trying to cool things down which from your explanation only made things worse because the differential in temps kept creeping up in red....

Great swap though, I went from 15K to 31K on the geekbench 3.

Thanks for your help! That Istat thing had me going crazy.

ilandmac

I think I had a similar problem. The posted responses to my question was very helpful.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1844566/

mancris

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2016
New York
The temps look fine, although there's a rather larger-than-normal diff between CPU A and B here. (CPU A is pretty much always a big hotter than CPU B - purely due to where it is located on the tray) That seems to be because of the high speed of your booster 2 fan though. I'm assuming you haven't used any fan control software and set that high speed on purpose right?

You'll probably want to do an SMC reset and see if you can power it up without that booster 2 fan going like crazy - it shouldn't be doing that.

Matt, You spoke about SMC reset. Is there a step by step guide I can follow on this? I'm upgrading my Model 5,1 with 2- 2.4 Quad to 3.46 6 core. Appreciate your help because I have not done any SMC reset. Thanks.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Matt, You spoke about SMC reset. Is there a step by step guide I can follow on this? I'm upgrading my Model 5,1 with 2- 2.4 Quad to 3.46 6 core. Appreciate your help because I have not done any SMC reset. Thanks.

Simple version (Apple official version)

1) Shutdown your 5,1.
2) disconnect the power plug
3) wait 15s, connect it again

Done!

Expanded version (more steps than Apple's version, but no harm anyway).

1) Shutdown
2) disconnect the power cable
3) press and hold the power button for 15s
4) re-connect the able
5) wait another 15s

Done!

mancris

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2016
New York
Simple version (Apple official version)

1) Shutdown your 5,1.
2) disconnect the power plug
3) wait 15s, connect it again

Done!

Expanded version (more steps than Apple's version, but no harm anyway).

1) Shutdown
2) disconnect the power cable
3) press and hold the power button for 15s
4) re-connect the able
5) wait another 15s

Done!
Much obliged. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.