Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gammatelier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
Hello everyone,

Here's my problem:

I own a Imac 27" late 2009 running on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 which I customized a bit: I removed the optical-bay and installed instead a 500Go SSD drive. I then installed Windows 7 64-bits (though with difficulty) and that installation has been running fine for more than a year.

A few days ago, while playing a game, my screen suddenly turned black, though I could still listen to the music and hear the computer working fine. After a few tries, here's what I know about it:
-the OSX partition still functions fine, there's no display problems
-right after lauching windows, the screen goes black --> I can barely see my desktop for 2s before everything disappears.
-when in standby mode (after a few minutes) and I move my mouse to active it again, my desktop re-appear for a couple of seconds
-when I do ctrl+alt+suppr, i can see my desktop for a couple of seconds.
-I have another LCD display (namely, a wacom graphic tablet) and the display works fine on it --> I can still use my computer with it like it's no problem, the computer works fine if it wasn't for that display problem.

Which means to me that it's not a hardware problem, but rather a software one (or drivers, to be more precise) but then again I can be wrong. :confused:

My Imac has a ATI Radeon 4850, so i try to find the AMD drivers, sadly they can't be installed ("cannot complete installation, etc.."), it looks like I have to go through BOOT CAMP.

So I downloaded Boot Camp 5.1 5621 (which is supposed to be working with Imac 27" late 2009) : http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1720

Sadly, when I try to launch the setup.exe on a USB flash drive, it says "it's not the good Bootcamp for your computer"

I'm rather stuck right now, not knowing what to do: I do believe that my problem comes from an ATI driver, but I can't be sure, and my attempts to resolve the problems are not working yet.

Can someone tell me what to do or where I got it wrong in my bootcamp attempt? :(

Thank you very much in advance.

gammatelier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
Ah, thanks ^^"

Sadly it doesn't work for me, I tried already.

I think my problem comes from the register or the drivers, but I'm jsut unable to locate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.