Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Can it be done, how would it be done, how much can it be overclocked, how much faster would it be, how stable would it be, would more fans need to be added, is it a good idea, etc etc etc?

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
http://power-mac-g4.com/g4digitalaudioclockup.html

I think 66MHz should be doable since PowerPC 7410 (processor core in your machine) was used in 533MHz model, depends on how good chip you have. I today's use it does not make any difference, the chip is slow.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I've read that

So what I would do is I would solder tiny wires to all the contact points and attach them to a breadboard or perf board outside the thing, then I would add matching resistors and dip switches to turn them on and off.

My DA has a 466MHz 7400 G4, not 7410 or 7450. So it may or may not overclock well, right?

Attached is the chart

So I could probably overclock the machine to 533MHz, but not 600MHz or higher, right?
How much faster would it be?
How much more heat would it generate?

At this video the person overclocked his 466MHz G4 to 600MHz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EYsThDHz6o
So I suppose it actually can be done?

Attachments

• G4 Digital Audio Overclock Jumper Chart.png
    G4 Digital Audio Overclock Jumper Chart.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 218

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
If you're doing it "just because," then, by all means, go for it.

But in this day and age, there is little-to-no technically-reasonable reason to do it. A faster G4 doesn't cost much of anything, and if you're going to try using it for any "day-to-day computer" use, even an extra 200 MHz wouldn't make it noticeably better. Modern web pages (in TenFourFox or Classilla,) won't be enough better to be 'usable,' "serious" apps like Photoshop won't be enough faster to be any more usable. Any game that will run on an otherwise-same-spec 600 MHz system will run just fine on the 466 MHz system.

The system is already really old, putting extra stress on the components now will just make them much more likely to fail.

Again, if you're doing it just for the technical challenge, or for "s--ts and giggles," then go right ahead! That's part of the fun of older systems - doing things with them "just because." But I wouldn't put any effort in to it hoping to get extra real-life usability out of it.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
If you're doing it "just because," then, by all means, go for it.

But in this day and age, there is little-to-no technically-reasonable reason to do it. A faster G4 doesn't cost much of anything, and if you're going to try using it for any "day-to-day computer" use, even an extra 200 MHz wouldn't make it noticeably better. Modern web pages (in TenFourFox or Classilla,) won't be enough better to be 'usable,' "serious" apps like Photoshop won't be enough faster to be any more usable. Any game that will run on an otherwise-same-spec 600 MHz system will run just fine on the 466 MHz system.

The system is already really old, putting extra stress on the components now will just make them much more likely to fail.

Again, if you're doing it just for the technical challenge, or for "s--ts and giggles," then go right ahead! That's part of the fun of older systems - doing things with them "just because." But I wouldn't put any effort in to it hoping to get extra real-life usability out of it.

Well... i am interested in doing it so that the cpu makes more heat so I have a reason to put more fans...
hehehe

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Then that falls fully within the "s--ts and giggles" clause. Go right ahead, sir/ma'am! :D

Do you know how much more heat it makes? I've heard eyoungren OC'd his Powermac and had to complete a fan puzzle.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Do you know how much more heat it makes? I've heard eyoungren OC'd his Powermac and had to complete a fan puzzle.
That is incorrect. The overclocking part.

I have a dual CPU that runs (based on jumper and voltage settings) anywhere from 1.6ghz to 2.0ghz. It's not a stable processor and it tends to cause problems. On top of that it does create a significant amount of heat.

So, I am using the single 1.2Ghz Sonnet that my system came with, which was an upgrade by whomever originally bought the system new.

The Sonnet is stable, if nowhere near as powerful as the dual CPUs. I've never had any issues with it.

The heat I deal with now is because I have two SATA drives, three video cards (one of which uses additional Molex power), a USB/FW card and a SATA card installed.

All the heat generated by those cards and the drives does not have very much room to go because the space they occupy is almost the entire inside of the case.

Hence having to deal with heat.

But, no. No overclocking.

Reactions: lepidotós
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.