Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
I know there's some resistance round these parts to Adobe's Creative Cloud scheme, so a few of you may be interested in Affinity Photo, which Serif have just launched as a free beta. I've only had time for the briefest of experiments since installing, but it looks like it might well as strong a challenger to Photoshop as Affinity Designer is to Illustrator.

Mac only — 10.7.5 or higher. Sign up for the beta programme here: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

(Imports and exports PSD files and the architecture, apparently, supports PS plug-ins.)

The Affinity forums are frequented by the developers as well as users and are well worth a visit.

Cheers

Jim

Last edited:

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I've just been playing around in it and the brushes feel beautifully smooth. The video is impressive and I can't wait to really dive in. Exciting times with all of these fantastic options!

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I am hoping that Affinity eventually comes out with a full suite of programs to compete with Adobe. So far they have done very well with Designer and from what I can see with Photo Beta it looks promising. Sure would like to see some competition for Adobe. Especially at the prices Affinity is offering its programs at.

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
I love the look of the Affinity products and I'd dearly love to see them give Adobe a run for their money. However, the lack of AppleScript support (so far) is a deal breaker for me and a number of companies I work/have worked with.

Whilst I have no great love for Adobe*, using Applescript to automate various bits and bobs saves huge amounts of time in a busy production environment. I'd love to see Affinity compete there too.

r.

* or their AppleScript implementation!

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Affinity Publisher is scheduled to come out later this year and round out the suite with an InDesign-like DTP application.

Cheers

Jim

Thank you. Yes I was aware of it. But I would like to see them bring even more alternatives beyond those three programs. Affinity seems to have it going on and I think are more than capable of doing just that.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
Whilst I have no great love for Adobe*, using Applescript to automate various bits and bobs saves huge amounts of time in a busy production environment. I'd love to see Affinity compete there too.

Talk to 'em on the forums. I reported a brush bug in Photos and had a reply and an assurance they'd try to fix it in under an hour.*

They're going from a standing start to try and compete with an entrenched industry standard —they can't do everything for everyone all at once. Get on there and tell them that this is important to you.

Cheers

Jim

*The response came in under an hour, not they'd try to have it fixed in under an hour!

Last edited:

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Affinity Publisher is scheduled to come out later this year and round out the suite with an InDesign-like DTP application.

Cheers

Jim

I hope they'll include a mechanism of sorts to convert/open InDesign files like they do with PSD support in Affinity Photo. Would be great to ditch InDesign without also having ditch all my files and projects.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
I hope they'll include a mechanism of sorts to convert/open InDesign files like they do with PSD support in Affinity Photo. Would be great to ditch InDesign without also having ditch all my files and projects.

Photo makes a decent job of opening .PSD files, and Designer has a creditable stab interpreting .AI documents, so I'm quietly hopeful…

(Edit: I remember when InDesign used to open Quark Xpress documents…)

Cheers

Jim

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
However, the lack of AppleScript support (so far) is a deal breaker for me and a number of companies I work/have worked with.

I agree that design software should be scriptable, but I can't see a new software suite supporting applescript, which has been on the ropes for years.

All Adobe software can now be scripted with Javascript. I have a few type tools that are scriptable with Python. I would be happy with either of those.

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
I agree that design software should be scriptable, but I can't see a new software suite supporting applescript, which has been on the ropes for years.

I always have a sly chuckle to myself when someone predicts the death of AppleScript. It's been happening almost since its emergence. Of course, one day the predictions will be right...

I'm no fan of AppleScript, but it does save heaps of time certainly in the graphics/design/packaging industry where the majority of my commercial experience is. Ditch it by all means, but replace it with something better.

Out of preference, I'd settle for a tidy API useable from Objective-C. Just not Python. Dear God, not Python. ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.