Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

American Express over the weekend released a new advertisement called "Retrospective" that promotes how its timeless safety and security are now available through Apple Pay. The 30-second spot takes a trip down memory lane as it recounts the brand's historic past, starring a number of famous cardholders such as Jerry Seinfeld and Tina Fey in both the past and present.

applepaytouchid.jpg
The advertisement first aired during the mid-season premiere of The Walking Dead on Sunday night and will also be featured during the NBA All-Star Game later this week. American Express does not provide an exact number of Apple Pay signups, but Ad Age reports that the credit company has received "encouraging feedback" from early iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus adopters.

Apple Pay makes up two of every three contactless payments on Visa, MasterCard and American Express, while an additional 750 banks and credit unions have signed on to support the iPhone-based service. Apple Pay is currently limited to the United States, although an international rollout could start with Canada in March.

Article Link: American Express Releases Nostalgic TV Ad For Apple Pay

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Not true!

You guys keep saying that apple pay makes up two of every three contactless payments, but this is not true. That is not what the original quote says. He says that apple pay accounts for $2 of every $3 of contactless payments. These are not the same thing. If every apple pay sale is for $1,000 and every other contactless payment is for $1 then the difference could be significant. Please stop asserting this.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Nothing says American more than American Express. Where ever you are in the world scream it loud and clear. America Bitches

:D

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I've had my iPhone 6+ set up for :apple:Pay for the past 3 months, but I've still not used it a single time.

I do expect that :apple:Pay will be Apple's next big money maker, but not until I can actually start using it anywhere.

infantrytrophy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Another feature of Amex/Apple Pay

Ever since I registered my Amex card with Apple Pay, I now receive instant notifications of all purchases on that card. This not only occurs for purchases using the NFC feature of the phone, but the notifications also appear when the card is swiped in the old way. One example: when a restaurant server takes my card away and swipes it, the charge notification instantly appears on my phone - before the server returns to the table with the card and charge slip. The phone was not used to make the charge -- the card was swiped in an old magnetic-swipe device. This notification is awesome, and is a great security feature.

Interestingly, this instant notification feature (for non-iPhone transactions) does not appear for two other cards that are registered on Apple Pay - only the Amex card has this feature.

This feature is so useful that It surprises me that Amex does not advertise it. Frankly, all cards should work this way. Wouldn't everyone want to know instantly whenever your credit card us used for a transaction?

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I use Apple Pay wherever I can. But in places that don't yet accept Apple Pay (iPhone payment), I use my AmEx and I absolutely LOVE how I instantly get notified (on my iPhone 6) when a purchase is made with AmEx. Even if I order something on the web, the instant my card is charged I get a notification on my iPhone telling me about the charge.

If my AmEx number is ever compromised/stolen, I'll know about it at the same instant the thief is still standing at the register trying to use my card.

Love it!

It's my understanding that most other credit card companies are not as quick with the notifications as AmEx. Therefore, AmEx is the ONLY card I use with Passbook/Apple Pay. If I can't use Apple Pay or AmEx to pay, I pay cash!

Mark

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Ever since I registered my Amex card with Apple Pay, I now receive instant notifications of all purchases on that card. This not only occurs for purchases using the NFC feature of the phone, but the notifications also appear when the card is swiped in the old way. One example: when a restaurant server takes my card away and swipes it, the charge notification instantly appears on my phone - before the server returns to the table with the card and charge slip. The phone was not used to make the charge -- the card was swiped in an old magnetic-swipe device. This notification is awesome, and is a great security feature.

Interestingly, this instant notification feature (for non-iPhone transactions) does not appear for two other cards that are registered on Apple Pay - only the Amex card has this feature.

This feature is so useful that It surprises me that Amex does not advertise it. Frankly, all cards should work this way. Wouldn't everyone want to know instantly whenever your credit card us used for a transaction?

It's a great feature--but far from "new". Probably why it isn't advertised. I get these notifications for all my cards. They used to be just emails, now they are push alerts (better IMO).

And this ad is great. I forgot about Seinfeld hocking the Amex cards.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA

I like that feature also.

Do you have the Amex app on your phone? I do, and I thought maybe the app was sending the notifications, rather than Apple Pay.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

This is based on the card issuer, not the card network. There are Visa and Mastercard issuers (aka: banks,) that do this also. It's not even ApplePay specific, it's just that ApplePay is what got you to enable it on your Amex.

Many banks provide this through their existing mobile app, and have for years. (I had one bank that if I swiped my card while buying groceries, I would get the alert on my phone before the receipt had even finished printing. And this was long before ApplePay.)

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I've had my iPhone 6+ set up for :apple:Pay for the past 3 months, but I've still not used it a single time.

I do expect that :apple:Pay will be Apple's next big money maker, but not until I can actually start using it anywhere.

There are plenty of places you can use it. Unless all you shop at are cash only places. Have you tried placing your phone up to a terminal even if it's not labeled? 7 out of 10 times, mine pops up and it works.

----------

I really hope Apple makes it a point that this feature comes to all credit and debit cards. I love instant notifications.

----------

This is based on the card issuer, not the card network. There are Visa and Mastercard issuers (aka: banks,) that do this also. It's not even ApplePay specific, it's just that ApplePay is what got you to enable it on your Amex.

Many banks provide this through their existing mobile app, and have for years. (I had one bank that if I swiped my card while buying groceries, I would get the alert on my phone before the receipt had even finished printing. And this was long before ApplePay.)

I have Wells Fargo, BofA and USAA, and none of those do the same thing as Amex does when using the physical card. I've tried to look all over the apps for the setting. Only thing I could get were balance notifications. I want purchase notifications.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

Which banks do it? I have Wells Fargo, NFCU, chase credit cards, and Citibank cards but none of them do it other than Amex. I notice amex is the only one with Touch ID login as well. They're leaving the other card companies in the dust right now.

andy318

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
I like that feature also.

Do you have the Amex app on your phone? I do, and I thought maybe the app was sending the notifications, rather than Apple Pay.

I love this feature too. I don't have the AMEX app on my phone either.

This is the reason why AMEX is my default card in Apple Pay instead of my Wells Fargo Visa.

gutowskia

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2012
I love this feature too. I don't have the AMEX app on my phone either.

This is the reason why AMEX is my default card in Apple Pay instead of my Wells Fargo Visa.

The notifications come from Passbook and not the AMEX app. It's much nicer than the text or email notifications they offer. It's integrated with the home screen and you can swipe to quickly check outstanding balance and last five transactions. Apple pay is actually not required. I have been using this with my AMEX for a couple of years with my iPhone 5 and now 5s. If you don't have iPhone 6 and apple pay, you can still add your amex card to passbook via the american express website. https://sync.americanexpress.com/passbook/Home I'm not sure why they never advertised this.

vpndev

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2009
Absolutely

I hope the other banks are listening. This is a GREAT feature.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Which banks do it? I have Wells Fargo, NFCU, chase credit cards, and Citibank cards but none of them do it other than Amex. I notice amex is the only one with Touch ID login as well. They're leaving the other card companies in the dust right now.

I know Chase has had it for a while - I don't know of others off the top of my head.

Mizouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
Great, but too bad my Costco Amex card fails every time it tries to activate.

I don't use apple pay often enough to bother calling in.

thewebb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2014
AZ
I use Apple Pay wherever I can. But in places that don't yet accept Apple Pay (iPhone payment), I use my AmEx and I absolutely LOVE how I instantly get notified (on my iPhone 6) when a purchase is made with AmEx. Even if I order something on the web, the instant my card is charged I get a notification on my iPhone telling me about the charge.

If my AmEx number is ever compromised/stolen, I'll know about it at the same instant the thief is still standing at the register trying to use my card.

Love it!

It's my understanding that most other credit card companies are not as quick with the notifications as AmEx. Therefore, AmEx is the ONLY card I use with Passbook/Apple Pay. If I can't use Apple Pay or AmEx to pay, I pay cash!

Mark

Discover cards have that feature. As soon as a waiter charges my card I get the alert on my phone before I get my card back. Its usually about 5-10 seconds. But Discover still hasn't got on with Apple Pay:mad:

Meowmeow123

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014

It is a nice feature, but it was actually already available if you had signed up for the AMEX + Passbook feature. [ https://sync.americanexpress.com/Passbook/ ]
The notifications do seem a bit more reliable with ApplePay though. Passbook is still a good option for people looking for these notifications that don't have an iPhone 6!

infantrytrophy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Great, but too bad my Costco Amex card fails every time it tries to activate.

I don't use apple pay often enough to bother calling in.
You might want to check with Amex, or maybe AppleCare. My Costco Amex card registered right away with ApplePay. Even if you don't use the iPhone for ApplePay, getting the instant transaction notifications when the physical card is used is valuable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.