Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I have a bit of a problem. Sort of.

I currently have 2nd Gen Pink iPod mini 4GB. Of course, 4GB really only means 3.7 in Apple speak, and I'm getting dangerously close. I now have 3.03 gigabytes, thinking I'd never even get close to 4.... :/

My music collection has grown quite a bit. Anyway, I can tell I'm going to need a new iPod within about three months, maybe four. I know I'm not the kind of person who is going to need 30 gigs, but something with a capacity a bit closer to 8 would be nice.

I love the nano, but unfortunately, the top config is only 4GB. I could also buy a 6GB mini if I find one new or in good condition, because I love the pink so much, but really, I would rather have something newer if I'm going to go and update. The video iPod is cool, but I don't need the big screen and video stuff that is going on, I really only need a music player. Now, I am not saying I am going to rule it out, because right now, it seems to be the only viable option... UNLESS a higher-capacity nano is released soon... :/

Options:

Higher capacity nano :)
Current iPod :/
Older 6GB mini :(

I'm liking the better nano idea best... do you think this will happen at all if not soon?

Not Options:

Buy old 4G or 3G iPod
Not carry all music at once
Stop buying music

Thanks in advance for your help.

Side note: I am a BIG Madonna fan and I'd buy anything with her... whatever on it. I heard some rumor at some point about a Madonna iPod or nano in pink... I'm sure it has little validity if any... but is this possible?

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Uh, well, ok given:

Cannot...
Buy old 4G or 3G iPod
Not carry all music at once
Stop buying music

And also given:
I now have 3.03 gigabytes
I'm going to need a new iPod within about three months

Solution:
A Nano is not the iPod for you. It doesn't fit within your requirements AT ALL. Even if there is a 5 or 6gb nano released in the next 3 months, that buys you, what, 3-6 more months before you have the same problem again? Same thing with the 6gb mini.

You're going to either have to break down and get a full sized iPod or stop carrying all your music with you. (I have 8gb of music and 14gb of audiobooks - this seems smaller than it is btw, I have very poor hearing so I can get by with 96kbps on a lot of my music, and as low as 24kbps mono on audiobooks and not hear the difference... point of that is I have a 4gb nano and using smart playlists and auto-syncing I actually very rarely find myself without something I want that day).

My advice:
Wait for the next iPod update (April 1st?) and then snag a 5G 30gb iPod on the clearance "rack". Should be ~$260 which isn't much more than you would have paid for a nano or a 6gb mini at this point.

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Hey,

You do make a valid point regarding the iPod. I think, however, I'd probably even get a 60 gig one because of the battery life. I really like to have decent battery life... and I have a feeling the 30 gig isn't that great. Any complaints about it yet?

However, if a ten gig nano came out... I'd buy it. Even an 8. Like, 8 will hold me over for another year or two. I replace these things every year or so anyway... my iPod mini turns one around April 5. That will be about the longest I've ever kept one, and I'll keep it until I can't keep it anymore.

I don't want this big video touch screen thing they are talking about. I LIKE the wheel thing, and I like something that stays clean. Ergo, I'd really want a bigger nano more than anything. You don't think an 8 is possible?

Well... I'll hold off for as long as I can. Worst case scenario, I shell out 269 with the ed for a 5G or more for a 60 gig.

Thanks,

Sam.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
StarbucksSam said:
Hey,

However, if a ten gig nano came out... I'd buy it. Even an 8. Like, 8 will hold me over for another year or two. I replace these things every year or so anyway... my iPod mini turns one around April 5. That will be about the longest I've ever kept one, and I'll keep it until I can't keep it anymore.

I'd say the chance of an 8+ gb nano is exactly 0. More likely is a 5 or 6gb.

As far as battery life, the 30gb is rated at 14 hrs vs 20 for the 60... the nano is rated for 14 hours as well. That's pretty accurate, based on my experience. I'm not sure if the 30gb iPod gets its full rated amount, but I've not heard anything bad about it, so...

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
mrgreen4242 said:
I'd say the chance of an 8+ gb nano is exactly 0. More likely is a 5 or 6gb.

As far as battery life, the 30gb is rated at 14 hrs vs 20 for the 60... the nano is rated for 14 hours as well. That's pretty accurate, based on my experience. I'm not sure if the 30gb iPod gets its full rated amount, but I've not heard anything bad about it, so...

Oh okay... I just remember the 1G, 3G I had sucked with battery life, and the 4G was okay, but not perfect. The mini is the only one I've ever trusted.

Sean Gadoury said:
There is no such thing as too much music.

This is true. But there is excessive capacity... and 30 gigs is ten times what I have right now, and about 5 times what I need.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
StarbucksSam said:
Oh okay... I just remember the 1G, 3G I had sucked with battery life, and the 4G was okay, but not perfect. The mini is the only one I've ever trusted.

This is true. But there is excessive capacity... and 30 gigs is ten times what I have right now, and about 5 times what I need.

Maybe you are upgrading every year because you aren't buying for the future? My wife has a 1G 10gb scroll wheel iPod that I think I will have to pry out of her cold dead hands. :p Point is that she got something that would last her beyond what she needs right now.

Aside from using the iPod for music, you'll have space for movies/TV shows, and also you can use the excess for backups and file transportation. (Note: I'm not saying you should use your iPod for a backup drive, but the more copies you have of something important the better. So putting one more copy of important files onto your iPod isn't a BAD way to use some extra space).

Man, I'm starting to talk myself into a 5G iPod!

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
mrgreen4242 said:
Maybe you are upgrading every year because you aren't buying for the future? My wife has a 1G 10gb scroll wheel iPod that I think I will have to pry out of her cold dead hands. :p Point is that she got something that would last her beyond what she needs right now.

Aside from using the iPod for music, you'll have space for movies/TV shows, and also you can use the excess for backups and file transportation. (Note: I'm not saying you should use your iPod for a backup drive, but the more copies you have of something important the better. So putting one more copy of important files onto your iPod isn't a BAD way to use some extra space).

Man, I'm starting to talk myself into a 5G iPod!

I see where you're going, and you make a lot of sense... but if we're going to go down that road where I'm going to put 25 DVD's on the thing, I'm going to need a bigger HARD DRIVE on my PowerBook that i can't replace for at least another two years, haha. I really don't need a portable movie player... I just want something for music. I mean, having that stuff might be nice, but it's certainly not a necessity.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
StarbucksSam said:
I see where you're going, and you make a lot of sense... but if we're going to go down that road where I'm going to put 25 DVD's on the thing, I'm going to need a bigger HARD DRIVE on my PowerBook that i can't replace for at least another two years, haha. I really don't need a portable movie player... I just want something for music. I mean, having that stuff might be nice, but it's certainly not a necessity.

I know exactly what you mean about not needing a portable media player. Sadly, Apple is not moving in that direction. It's only music only player caps out at 4gb, and since I can see them wanting to keep it at $250 or less (since the 30gb is $300), I don't foresee any huge jumps in capacity any time soon (like I said, 5 maybe 6 gb sometime later this year is all I would expect). You sure about not wanting a used/refurb 4G or iPod Photo?

You can always archive ripped DVDs to DVD-R(W) or even CD-R(W)...

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
mrgreen4242 said:
I know exactly what you mean about not needing a portable media player. Sadly, Apple is not moving in that direction. It's only music only player caps out at 4gb, and since I can see them wanting to keep it at $250 or less (since the 30gb is $300), I don't foresee any huge jumps in capacity any time soon (like I said, 5 maybe 6 gb sometime later this year is all I would expect). You sure about not wanting a used/refurb 4G or iPod Photo?

You can always archive ripped DVDs to DVD-R(W) or even CD-R(W)...

You make a point... I just don't want to buy something I've already had (a 4G) or something I don't need (a photo).

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
homerjward said:
is your mini under warranty? you could just buy a 6gb microdrive and install it yourself if it's not or you don't care, and then have a 4gb microdrive to use in your camera, sell, etc.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822147005 $168 after rebate

Ehhh... lol. It's out of warranty in a month, but for what I'd pay JUST FOR THAT DRIVE, I could find a like-new 6 gig mini. And... I can't install things myself... and have no use for that 4 gig drive. Haha. Other than that....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.