Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
I can't believe today's rumor that Apple will refresh the Macbook Air line up with minor updates!

This is the second this happens, we wait for the new new rumord 12-inch Macbook Air, instead we get minor updates...

It was forgivable last time because of Intel delay to its shipments, Apple had to give minor updates....but THIS TIME WHAT?!

RELEASE THE GOT DAMN NEW 12-INCH MACBOOK AIR ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
They're just waiting for you to complete anger management classes and then they plan on releasing the 12" version. ;)

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I can't believe today's rumor that Apple will refresh the Macbook Air line up with minor updates!

This is the second this happens, we wait for the new new rumord 12-inch Macbook Air, instead we get minor updates...

It was forgivable last time because of Intel delay to its shipments, Apple had to give minor updates....but THIS TIME WHAT?!

You assume that everyone wants a 12" MBA. there's one mistake.

Second mistake is that you believe the rumour of a 12" MBA.

If there is anything to learn from this is that until there is a major announcement from Apple, EVERYTHING IS A RUMOUR. Don't believe them until you see the product with your own eyes.

BL.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
If there is anything to learn from this is that until there is a major announcement from Apple, EVERYTHING IS A RUMOUR. Don't believe them until you see the product with your own eyes.

Indeed, you are on a site called MacRumors. Don't forget it.

These forums are full of idiots who confuse rumors with reality and will happily talk about 12" retina MacBook Airs as if they were already released last week.

All of the current MBA rumors are, at best, based on "insider leaks." Nobody knows if they are legitimate or not. They could well be pre-adolescent children writing Apple fan fiction in their basements.

plastictoy

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2014
Now I hope Apple does not have nothing more than an annual refresh planned. Want to see the angry mass own up to their threats of exodus.

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Well, if that's true I guess we will see a great Skylake rMBA in the fall of this year or early next year. Funny that people believed that Broadwell would move a retina display, with fanless design while mantaining battery life, like if it was a big revolution instead of a minor bump over Haswell.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Calm down, it's coming, Apple needs to take their time and get it right.

Also, don't believe every rumor you see. I personally doubt the validity of that one.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Well, if that's true I guess we will see a great Skylake rMBA in the fall of this year or early next year. Funny that people believed that Broadwell would move a retina display, with fanless design while mantaining battery life, like if it was a big revolution instead of a minor bump over Haswell.

Everybody was pretty sure a retina MBA was coming out in 2013. Then it had to come out in 2014.

We'll see what happens in 2015.

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Everybody was pretty sure a retina MBA was coming out in 2013. Then it had to come out in 2014.

We'll see what happens in 2015.

Haha right, someday... I'm not in a rush to get new mac.
I was really going into Air but now I might go to 15" Skylake, depends on which will come earlier and if it's impressive or just "nice".

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
I'm actually with the OP slightly, but nowhere near as dramatic. I feel that if Apple release another year of only minor spec bumps to the MBA it will be disappointing.

They could obviously put a Retina display in the MBA if they wanted to. I do believe the rumors about the 12" version have at least some truth to them, even if it never gets released. Although I'm not tied to the rumor of a 12" MBA as the absolute next best solution, but they could at least update the 13" and the 11" to Retina.

Of course this is a rumor site. It's all about connecting the dots and guessing at what Apple will actually do. I personally think that they will update the non-retina MBAs one last time and release the shiny new rMBA at the same time, during an :apple:Watch / MBA event before April.

I also think that:
  • 11" will drop to around $799/£649
  • 13" will take the 11" price point at $899/£749
  • 12" rMBA will start at around $999/£849

The chances are I'm completely wrong though, because I'm guessing from rumors posted on a rumor site. Apple will probably do something completely different.

Cicatrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
This is the beauty of a rumor, one can choose either to believe or ignore it.

And I choose to believe a 2015 12" fanless retina with one universal port, hub included for free with a new designed sdhc card slot that's capable of insane read/write speeds. Also in black with no bezel. 12 hour battery life, multicolor changing backlit @pple logo.

MIHA

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
And I choose to believe a 2015 12" fanless retina with one universal port, hub included for free with a new designed sdhc card slot that's capable of insane read/write speeds. Also in black with no bezel. 12 hour battery life, multicolor changing backlit @pple logo.

MIHA

Works for me.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

MIHA

You will be so dissapointed:apple:

Likely $129 for the hub that has a SD card reader on it. It is even thinner so battery might go 8 hours and the Apple logo will be black.

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
I just bought an 11" Air last week. It's fantastic. And I'm nowhere near new to Mac, started in 1993, but new to Air. It took me about two days to notice the loss of Retina. Now I don't even notice. There's nothing that compares to this machine anywhere including inside Apple. It's amazing. The battery lasts forever and its remarkably thin and light.

The 99.99999999% of the population that doesn't participate in Mac Forums probably could care less about a Retina Macbook Air. Don't forget this site is a bubble.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
The .00001% of the population that doesn't participate in Mac Forums probably could care less about a Retina Macbook Air. Don't forget this site is a bubble.

Indeed, to listen to most people on this forum, the MBA screens are hopelessly outdated technology and it feels better to poke your eyeballs with spoons rather than look at them.

When in reality, they are way above average and you'd need to spend at least $700 for a PC laptop with a better screen.

plastictoy

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2014
The 99.99999999% of the population that doesn't participate in Mac Forums probably could care less about a Retina Macbook Air. Don't forget this site is a bubble.

The population at large don't understand Retina. Heck, I'd be hard-pressed to pinpoint it out on a laptop screen due to distance from screen. The regular potential customer can go to the store, stare at two images, one on a 108ppi screen and another at 220ppi, and shrug it off. $300 more for what? Unless they work with type all day or read on a laptop screen and zoom in closely to nitpick blurred edges, it might not make a noticeable difference now or later. They'll certainly pick out the difference on an older iPad from new but that's another issue.

They see price difference, form factor, weight, and how it feels overall. Retina is noticeable on a phone but people get used to whatever old tech they have. They get used to dimly lit CCFL backlights and blue tints on some smartphones. Some are still are content with 480p scaled up. The world isn't ending anytime soon because of a few average-resolution screens bought by people that are happy just to have a new current computer.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The population at large don't understand Retina. Heck, I'd be hard-pressed to pinpoint it out on a laptop screen due to distance from screen. The regular potential customer can go to the store, stare at two images, one on a 108ppi screen and another at 220ppi, and shrug it off. $300 more for what? Unless they work with type all day or read on a laptop screen and zoom in closely to nitpick blurred edges, it might not make a noticeable difference now or later. They'll certainly pick out the difference on an older iPad from new but that's another issue.

They see price difference, form factor, weight, and how it feels overall. Retina is noticeable on a phone but people get used to whatever old tech they have. They get used to dimly lit CCFL backlights and blue tints on some smartphones. Some are still are content with 480p scaled up. The world isn't ending anytime soon because of a few average-resolution screens bought by people that are happy just to have a new current computer.

I'm sure the average person does notice the difference. They certainly wouldn't be looking for it, but a side-by-side comparison would reveal it.

Most people don't get this side-by-side comparison, so they have no idea of the difference at all. Which is fine, since they will be perfectly happy with the 4 year old display in the Air they just bought.

plastictoy

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2014
I'm sure the average person does notice the difference. They certainly wouldn't be looking for it, but a side-by-side comparison would reveal it.

Most people don't get this side-by-side comparison, so they have no idea of the difference at all. Which is fine, since they will be perfectly happy with the 4 year old display in the Air they just bought.

Did you read the part when I said they would shrug at it?

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
It's like people live in alternate universes.

I've seen first-hand multiple cases of people who know nothing about computer technology or what "retina" means, are amazed at how sharp and clear the rMBP screen is when they get one. Or if you had walked into an Apple store circa 2012 and literally seen people gawking over rMBPs (you can sometimes still see that).

Then there are people who everyone they know, can't tell the difference, don't know what the big deal is about, and couldn't care less.

:rolleyes:

rasputin1969

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
It's like people live in alternate universes.

I've seen first-hand multiple cases of people who know nothing about computer technology or what "retina" means, are amazed at how sharp and clear the rMBP screen is when they get one. Or if you had walked into an Apple store circa 2012 and literally seen people gawking over rMBPs (you can sometimes still see that).

Then there are people who everyone they know, can't tell the difference, don't know what the big deal is about, and couldn't care less.

:rolleyes:

I know you're being sarcastic here, but a lot of people I know really cannot see the difference. For me the rMBP was simply jaw-droppingly amazing. I was completely stunned by the clarity of the type on the display. It was a huge leap forward. On the other hand my wife couldn't see much, if any, difference. Others have reacted the same way. It's really wierd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.