Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I have been dual booting my Macs with Windows for quite a few years just in case something happened and I needed to access a file or burn a disc. Well due to issues I had early on with this machines I never got around to reinstalling Windows until a few weeks ago. Now I am experiencing heat issues with the machine when I boot into Windows.

If I reboot the computer back into OS X and check my temps, all four cores are nearing 200 degrees Fahrenheit and both sides of the computer are extremely hot to the touch. I have taken the machine to the Apple Store where they replaced the heat sink and that didn't help. I usually have to use iStats under OS X to max out the fans (around 5800-6200rpm) to keep the temps low while under Windows (interestingly enough, the fans stay maxed out even after I boot into Windows).

My computer is still under AppleCare, so should I try taking it to the store and see if they say anything?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I have been dual booting my Macs with Windows for quite a few years just in case something happened and I needed to access a file or burn a disc. Well due to issues I had early on with this machines I never got around to reinstalling Windows until a few weeks ago. Now I am experiencing heat issues with the machine when I boot into Windows.

If I reboot the computer back into OS X and check my temps, all four cores are nearing 200 degrees Fahrenheit and both sides of the computer are extremely hot to the touch. I have taken the machine to the Apple Store where they replaced the heat sink and that didn't help. I usually have to use iStats under OS X to max out the fans (around 5800-6200rpm) to keep the temps low while under Windows (interestingly enough, the fans stay maxed out even after I boot into Windows).

My computer is still under AppleCare, so should I try taking it to the store and see if they say anything?

Windows always runs really hot.

Monitoring through Task Manager, the CPU always seems operate at a much higher frequency compared to OS X. Besides, if you have a dGPU, Windows always uses the dGPU and not the iGPU. This is because the EFI locks the iGPU down when it enters Boot Camp. And there's no way to circumvent the EFI.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Windows always runs really hot.

Monitoring through Task Manager, the CPU always seems operate at a much higher frequency compared to OS X. Besides, if you have a dGPU, Windows always uses the dGPU and not the iGPU. This is because the EFI locks the iGPU down when it enters Boot Camp. And there's no way to circumvent the EFI.

Makes since. I poked a little more around the internet and it seems all models of the Retina MacBook Pros have been like this. I'm just used to OS X handling itself much better then Windows I guess.

Thanks for clearing that up!

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
When on Windows 8.1, my MBP always runs warmer. One thing you can do to mitigate the heat somewhat, especially when under load, is to disable Turbo Boost on the CPU.

I'd have to be in front of my computer with the exact instructions, but it involves changing a couple variables in your Windows power plan. It's fairly straightforward and has minimal impact on performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.