Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Mar 5, 2006, 06:25 AM   #1
Dagless
macrumors Core

PowerBook sleeping; easy waking?

I've been semi-curious about this for a while now. I noticed it about a year ago but it's been happening a lot more in recent days...

I put my powerbook into sleep. shut the lid, go through the menu. either way. I leave my room. come back a few hours later, open my door, turn the light on *brrtzzzz* PowerBook wakes up.

at first I thought there was some kind of motion sensor. Before I fully knew the magic of the PB. But more and more I think its when I turn the lights on.

Any ideas to whats causing this? Or is my PowerBook really just psychic. "oh, welcome James. I've prepared a lovely selection of mint After Eights on a tray for you" "cheers computer, chomputer"
Old Mar 5, 2006, 06:42 AM   #2
Chundles
macrumors G4

Does the sleep light glow red??

Does it talk to you in an cold non-descript accent??

Can it read your lips?
Old Mar 5, 2006, 07:05 AM   #3
Dagless
macrumors Core

Ah! It's when I turn on both my bedroom light switches at the same time! Is there no light sensor in the 12" PowerBook?
Old Mar 5, 2006, 07:31 AM   #4
YS2003
macrumors 68020

I had a similar experience with Apple portables. Even though I am not touching keyboard/mouse, it just wakes up by itself. My hunch is a static electricity. Even though I am not touching my Mac, I was moving close by it. Some of my clothing generates quite static electricity.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 07:38 AM   #5
Chundles
macrumors G4

I've had my iBook do it. I set it up to download a South Park episode before I went to work (should take 2 hours, max - dial up sucks). It would normally download the ep and play when it was done.

I got home, sat down in my chair 4 hours later and bam, iBook screen snaps on and the episode just starts playing - it was perfect.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 09:05 AM   #6
Dagless
macrumors Core

Annoyingly I had my powerbook left on to download a 100mb game trailer. I take the dog out. come back. BAM! We're asleep. Had to restart the download.

So its waking up by itself and sleeping when it shouldn't. I know the sleep thing is my power settings fault but still it warrants a

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs