Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
I am looking for cool things to add to my car, so I was wondering have any of you done anything cool to your cars? If so please post ideas here!

Here is what I have done/doing
This is a 1986 Toyota Camry

Already added:
-2 USB ports (iPhone charging)
-Bluetooth sound system
-Dash Cam
-2 120v 500w power outlets
-Semi-truck horn
-Truck battery
-Solar charging port
-DVD player/screen

Work in progress:
-HUD
-High power night vision camera
-Alarm
-Engine kill switch
-Seat warmers

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My car doesn't even have a radio.:eek:

Ah, but yours is a seriously cool car, - I seem to recall that you posted a picture of it here at some stage.

Indeed, it strikes me as being the sort of vehicle that the wonderful Patrick McGoohan would have driven in the iconic 1960s TV series 'The Prisoner'. (Take a look at the opening credits to see what I mean).

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
My car doesn't even have a radio.:eek:

Haven't you got a Cobra? I doubt you'd be able to hear it anyway. :D

Ah, but yours is a seriously cool car, - I seem to recall that you posted a picture of it here at some stage.

Indeed, it strikes me as being the sort of vehicle that the wonderful Patrick McGoohan would have driven in the iconic 1960s TV series 'The Prisoner'. (Take a look at the opening credits to see what I mean).

It was a Lotus 7 in The Prisoner.

karadditional5yc3.6537.jpg

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Wow, an 86 Camry! I can only assume that you have taken great care of the vehicle. That's a lot of custom work. Are you a "car guy" with mechanical skills and have you done the work yourself? Post some pics.

In my teens and early 20's I was into having a great audio system in my car and spent a good deal of money (my parent's money) getting things just how I wanted them. As I've aged though, cars have become more of a simple tool that depereciate in value so I dont' invest in customization. You know, marriage, kids, limited income, etc., in other words, I'm boring when it comes to this kind of stuff. :D However, I do like to live vicariously through others and it's always cool to see when people do things like you have done. All the best with your continued upgrades and fine tuning. :)

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Haven't you got a Cobra? I doubt you'd be able to hear it anyway. :D

It was a Lotus 7 in The Prisoner.

Actually, I'm not quite sure what Happybunny actually has (or drives) - I just recall a that he posted a picture of a low slung, open topped car, rich with character and redolent with mystery.

Thanks for posting that picture of Patrick McGoohan driving during the stunning opening credits of The Prisoner: I hadn't known it was a Lotus 7 but that particular TV series (The Prisoner) was one of my all time favourites; I remember watching it avidly with my brother in the late 70s when it was broadcast.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I think the magical year where you could reasonably not use CDs was 2008. My 2013 has USB ports and Auxiliary ports. That's non-tech package, by the way.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yep, in fact, the character built it himself :)

(huge fan of the show, and actually got to visit Portmeirion in Wales where it was filmed)

Likewise, I'd class myself a huge fan of the show. Loved it as a teenager. Gripping and brilliant stuff.

Back on topic, while I am not a particular aficionado of uber tech in cars, I do love a car that comes equipped with a good sound system (for radios, CDs, or iPods……)

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I think the magical year where you could reasonably not use CDs was 2008. My 2013 has USB ports and Auxiliary ports. That's non-tech package, by the way.

No no, my car is the one with the non-tech package. It has a radio and a tape cassette player. Seriously. Well at least the radio has FM so I can use the older iPods with an FM transmitter adapter on it; i never bothered with the cassette adapter you could use with an iPod. Amazing that my 2nd gen iPod nanos will likely still be working when the car goes to the scrapyard. Anyway I've managed to completely skip the CD generation in cars. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We have *intermittent wipers* on both cars.

No we’re not from the future. :D

----------

Holy hell man, that is one of the craziest same-thing-at-the-same-time posts I’ve ever made.

The first car I owned with intermittent wipers... You'll never guess unless you look it up. Timeframe: 1975. Some of our forum friends from Europe might know. ;)

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'll pass on the techie stuff in my car. Self-driving cars can be controlled remotely, while you think you are the one driving. Search for it; just in the news this week.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
The first car I owned with intermittent wipers... You'll never guess unless you look it up. Timeframe: 1975. Some of our forum friends from Europe might know. ;)

Not the answer you'll be expecting but my old '67 VW sometimes used to have intermittent wipers... when there was a heavy snowburst going through the mountains it would occasionally blow a fuse. And then another fuse... and then another fuse. And when I was out of fuses then the intermittent wiper was a rigged up de-snowing device operated with left hand out the window. Even the dog stopped wanting to ride with us when that happened. Guess the breeze in the back seat was pretty stiff.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not the answer you'll be expecting but my old '67 VW sometimes used to have intermittent wipers... when there was a heavy snowburst going through the mountains it would occasionally blow a fuse. And then another fuse... and then another fuse. And when I was out of fuses then the intermittent wiper was a rigged up de-snowing device operated with left hand out the window. Even the dog stopped wanting to ride with us when that happened. Guess the breeze in the back seat was pretty stiff.

lol. :)

I don't know the first car with intermittent wipers, with delays, but the first one I saw them on was a 1975 Fiat Spider. At the time that was high tech. :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
lol. :)

I don't know the first car with intermittent wipers, with delays, but the first one I saw them on was a 1975 Fiat Spider. At the time that was high tech. :)

Ooooooh.

Er, actually, I remember the Fiat Spyder; what a snappy, snazzy, sports car. (I have even been driven in one…….a red one, which ate up the road, mind you, my recall of the intermittent wipers……is entirely absent….)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Um, I modded my stereo so I could directly plug an aux cable into it.

Our 4Runner has an aux input (3mm) inside the center console/armrest, and while not technically sophisticated, it works outstandingly well: better than Bluetooth, 30-pin interfaces, no lag, the device just works and outputs to the stereo. I can listen to music, podcasts (including 3rd party apps). There’s also a power plug in there, so you can charge and aux at the same time :D

When I was writing this, I just remembered, I added the same to the X5 we used to own! Actually scored the OEM box off FleaBay for like $50 (the dealer wanted $200+). :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.