Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
I have a number of TV programmes recorded onto my Sky box that I wish to keep, but i also need to free up space on the Sky box HD.

So whats the best way of transferring the recordings onto an external hard drive so that I can then plug it into my smart TV to watch in the future? Im guessing format types will play its part?

I have a dvd recorder under my TV that I sometimes use to copy them onto its HD and then burn to dvd, but Id like a way of putting them onto an ext HD from now on. So the equipment I have to use is..

Panasonic Smart Tv
Sky box
Panasonic DVD recorder with HD
Macbook Pro 2012

Thanks

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
It would seem that it's not that easy. This is what Sky says:
Hi fanfan,

It is not possible to transfer the content of your Sky+HD box to a computer or external hard drive. You can however transfer the content to a video/DVD recorder.

For more information on how to do this please see this post in the forum where another customer describes how to set this up.

If this resolves your enquiry please mark this as an accepted solution, otherwise please post on the relevant board on the forum where the community or we can assist further.

Thanks,
Barry
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

But, have a look here:
http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/skypluscopying.html

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Thanks. So it looks like I'll have to copy to dvd using my dvd recorder and then copy the dvd to my MacBook, possibly using Handbrake, then copy to my ext HD?

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Thanks Dave.

It will be a laborious task as I have about 30 x half hour programmes to copy, edit, then burn to disc, then copy to my macbook, then move to the ext HD, but will be worth it in the end.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I use an $140 Elgato game Capture HD to take shows off my DirecTV recorder that I want to archive.

If your sky box has an HDMI output, you probably can capture using the same method. The game capture box connects between your skybox and TV and outputs USB to your computer via the elgato application (saves it as a QT movie file).

Its very similar to the burn DVD process, except you skip all the DVD burn and rip steps... and just as legal.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
It records the resolution provided by the DirecTV box for the show (up to 1080) and in the pretty standard H.264 mp4 (movie-MPEG4) format to a drive connected to your computer. The Elgato recording app can export the video to 422 for easier editing. The recording also includes simple editing tools. Blackmagic is another device.

The Elgato does not pass through HDCP handshaking, dunno if that would be an issue with the skybox. There are $30 HDMI splitters that can strip that.

If you don't want to go there and are happy with SD, there are a variety of ~$80 boxes that convert composite or component video to USB or FW as SD video. Dunno what kind of video outputs your sky box has.Look for video capture devices.

I used to do the record to DVD then rip route, but between quality of inexpensive disk and the steps involved, a video capture device is much easier.

Last edited:

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
ColdCase, I've just purchased the following items..

Elgato HD60 (1080p 60fps)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00

Seeing as Sky boxes have HDCP encryption on their HDMI out socket, I've also ordered the Neet HDMI Splitter box which removes the encryption.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00

Hoping this will work with my macbook pro! Im not sure about editing the recorded footage, I assume the Elgato converts the video file and it get recorded onto my macbook? Hopefully the software that comes with the Elgato will allow me to edit the recoding, or maybe I will have to use iMovie?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
The elgato software can edit video. It is a nicely put together software package, in my opinion. It was designed to extract game video for sharing and replay. iMovie may be easier to use. Elgato stores the captured video in a widely compatible H.264 mp4 format, so even Quicktime can edit it. It also has a prores exporter, albeit somewhat slow. I use FCP so can't help much with the editing details.

You will need the TV on and connected in order to satisfy the HDMI handshaking. If you don't get sound that means the skybox is not happy with the handshake. It can be tricky. You connect the source to the splitter input, the elgato to one of the splitter ports, the TV to the elgato. Then turn things on in the right order. I think its TV then splitter then source... but it could be the other way. The elgato needs to be connected to USB for power and the app running before turning on the other devices. There are a couple sites that explain the process better.

Last edited:

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Thanks for the help. I shell be trying it out over the next few days and I shall report back with the results :)

Mac Moof

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2013
Thanks for the help. I shell be trying it out over the next few days and I shall report back with the results :)
Big Stevie did you get any luck recording off your Sky box with the Neet splitter and the Elgato capture device?

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Big Stevie did you get any luck recording off your Sky box with the Neet splitter and the Elgato capture device?
Sadly its still on my 'list to do'as we are part way through decorating the house etc. Its all sat next to my tv ready to go, but haven't got around to doing it yet. Maybe I'll give it a go on the next rainy day.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Gardeners World

I've been playing around with the Elgato HD60 and my Neat HDMI splitter would not strip the HDCP from the Sky HD box.

I've since purchased a ViewHD splitter which works perfectly. I just need to work out how to use the Elgato software and I'm good to go.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Ive been having a few issues with the Elgato software when recoding. Often finding that it hasn't recorded, but not realising until the very end of the programme. Frustrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.