Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DieBeachballDie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
I've decided on an iPhone 5s specifically, 16g, 32g... i don't really care, but i do need it unlocked, as i intend on pay as i go, not a plan.

Aside from the obvious (damage, shady back-alley meetings), any tips on how not to get screwed? I'm no idiot, but i am new to phones and i don't want to buy something stolen, damaged (that looks nice), or unusable for other reasons. I'm looking for a black/space grey 5s, as new as possible, and i'll want the box and all the factory stuff that comes with.

There seems to be quite a few to choose from, starting from around $250 for aesthetically damaged and locked-in, and up to about $450 for 10/10 unlocked, pretty much new phones.

Anything i should know?

zugre

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
find out that touch id works fine first. if the phone screen was replaced with the home button, with new home button touch id wouldnt works!

DieBeachballDie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
No one has anything else to add? I need to pick one up pretty quick here. Hopefully within the week.

Bomb Bloke

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2015
Tasmania (AU)
Later iOS devices (eg the 5S; anything on iOS 7 or later basically) can be linked up to Apple's Find My iPhone service. Fairly easy to do, just sign in with an Apple ID.

Once linked, the device requires that same Apple ID in order to unlink it - say, if you ever need to perform a restore on it. Make certain that Find My iPhone is disabled on any second-hand device you decide to purchase before you hand over the cash, as it may well be impossible to get rid of it otherwise.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13695

jay-zee-s

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2015
second handed? why?
-first of all you shoukl get the box .headset and etc with the phone .and verify if the imei numbers match on box and phone
-second ask for apple id before buying(say to seller you should give the id to customer because some phone are locked and if you ask for id after shopping theyll tell you its locked and you should ask before buying!!!)
you need apple id to turn of icloud lock and to activate phone

check if the phone has got wet or repaired before(search on web for instructions)
and nothing else ...

DieBeachballDie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
I knew it couldn't be THAT easy. I'd really REALLY rather have a new one... even despite all this start-up/security BS, its really rather impossible to know it hasn't been dropped, or even damaged and (visibly) repaired in some cases. But alas... used start at $300, new start at $700. I'm topped out at $400... maybe $450 for a perfect 10/10 unopened/unused higher GB one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.