Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Need to purchase a new iPhone 5S 32GB since they got rid of 64GB. Will it come with iOS 7.1.2 at this point or version 8? I have no interest in using iOS 8 after all the problems everyone has had. Please don't ask why not. I do not like it.

rapicell

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Depends how long the product has been sitting around. If it was produced recently, it'll most likely have iOS 8

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
You can find a lot of sites selling iPhones such as EBay, Swappa…etc. however 90% of the time the iPhone will have iOS 8

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
At this point, you're likely to end up with iOS 8 if you purchase it new in the box. Replacement units might be a different story, since they are likely refurbs.

I have a 32 GB 5s, and iOS 8.1.3 works fine for me -- at least as well as 7.1.2 did.

Last edited:

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Such a shame. I don't know why people update it when 7 was more fluid and smooth.

Better security, new features, app compatibility, etc. I barely see any difference with smoothness, and apps crash a lot less often now than they did when I was using the early versions of iOS 7.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I bought a new 5S from Apple's online store in Japan and it came with iOS 8. Not sure how it is in other countries.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Aside from finding that it's actually more stable than iOS 7 was, I actually prefer many of the features introduced in iOS 8.

Yep, short attention spans and short memories. People have all but forgotten about the "white screen of death." I've had one respring in more than four months of daily use with iOS 8. That occurred about every other day on iOS 7 (until version 7.0.4 came out), and the "white screen of death" system shut down also occurred on a regular basis.

Much the same way that people romanticize Snow Leopard, without recalling how buggy the early versions were and how it took 22 months before the final version came out.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Don't forget Apple's return policy. You really risk nothing by ordering the phone and returning it if you find its not in the iOS version you were hoping.

That said, in betting on iOS 8.x

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
I bought a new 5S from Apple's online store in Japan and it came with iOS 8. Not sure how it is in other countries.

This is good to know. I'm betting all the current 5S's on Apple's website were manufactured in the last few months. :/

Yep, short attention spans and short memories. People have all but forgotten about the "white screen of death." I've had one respring in more than four months of daily use with iOS 8. That occurred about every other day on iOS 7 (until version 7.0.4 came out), and the "white screen of death" system shut down also occurred on a regular basis.

Much the same way that people romanticize Snow Leopard, without recalling how buggy the early versions were and how it took 22 months before the final version came out.

In the early versions of 7, yes. This is why I want 7.1.2. That version was very stable and fluid.

iOS 7 contains security loopholes that remain unpatched, but were patched in iOS 8.

You should always run the latest one for security reasons alone, even if it's at the expense of performance.

Are you referring to jailbroken software? I can't think of any other security exploits? I'd still rather run more optimized/fluid software then software that stutters.

Aside from finding that it's actually more stable than iOS 7 was, I actually prefer many of the features introduced in iOS 8.

My mom's iPhone 5S with 8.1.2 is a different story (hence leaving a bad taste in my mouth).

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Need to purchase a new iPhone 5S 32GB since they got rid of 64GB. Will it come with iOS 7.1.2 at this point or version 8? I have no interest in using iOS 8 after all the problems everyone has had. Please don't ask why not. I do not like it.

It's possible there is some old inventory sitting around with iOS 7.x on it, but probably not much and there likely isn't a reliable way to tell before you open the box.

Your best bet might be to buy one second hand, especially since you want a very specific iteration.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
OP: I'm with you on iOS 7.1.2. I use it on my daily 5S. I refuse to upgrade to 8. But if your looking to purchase brand new from Apple, you will not get 7.X. Not at this point in time. Maybe if you bought it before November. But now you'll get some version of 8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.