Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
I was under the impression if you added an express to your network as a "music streaming & Printing" express (ie not extending the range of your network) it doesnt effet the overal speed of the network?

I thought every express added on the network that was added to extend the range, then it slows down?

Its just that i have 4 express's and an extreme, the exteme is the main base, 1 express extends the range and 3 express's are for audio only, so the 3 express's shouldnt slow my network down if music isnt streaming?

Thanks for any help

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question; but Thank You so much! I didn't realize that the iTunes started allowing multiple speakers.

Are you sure those expresses aren't extending your range?

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Back on topic, just be sure that those expresses are ONLY set up to stream music, and not to extend range. That could be causing a slow down.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
By default, the Expresses will be extending your range and halving it's throughput for each additional unit. I'm sorry but I don't know of a way of making them not do this. :eek:

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
CoMpX said:
Back on topic, just be sure that those expresses are ONLY set up to stream music, and not to extend range. That could be causing a slow down.

Well i thought if you set up an extreme ONLY to print and/or play music it would effect throughput? is this correct?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Are you certain that they are not extending your range?

Do you have a notebook with Airport? If so, take the notebook to the Airport Express farthest away from the Extreme base station, and see what your signal strength is. (A lot of widgets do a better job of measuring actual signal strength than Mac OS X)

If it's reading full, then that Express is extending your range.

Sorry if this post seemed to only point out the obvious, but usually that is the best place to start.

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
EricNau said:
Are you certain that they are not extending your range?

Do you have a notebook with Airport? If so, take the notebook to the Airport Express farthest away from the Extreme base station, and see what your signal strength is. (A lot of widgets do a better job of measuring actual signal strength than Mac OS X)

If it's reading full, then that Express is extending your range.

Sorry if this post seemed to only point out the obvious, but usually that is the best place to start.

Hey

My furthest point from my main Extreme is my kitchen, and in my kithen i have very low strength but i have an express in the kitchen that will stream music

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
marknicholls said:
Hey

My furthest point from my main Extreme is my kitchen, and in my kithen i have very low strength but i have an express in the kitchen that will stream music

Based on that, it appears that they are not set up to extend range. I don't know off the top of my head if just having and express set up to stream music will use bandwidth, but by theory it shouldn't. How much of a slowdown did you notice and when did it occur.

A possible diagnosis, albeit tedious would be to disconnect the expresses from the network one by one to see if any particular one is sucking bandwidth for some reason.

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
CoMpX said:
Based on that, it appears that they are not set up to extend range. I don't know off the top of my head if just having and express set up to stream music will use bandwidth, but by theory it shouldn't. How much of a slowdown did you notice and when did it occur.

A possible diagnosis, albeit tedious would be to disconnect the expresses from the network one by one to see if any particular one is sucking bandwidth for some reason.

I think thats a good idea. My issue is i need a good connection as i stream music videos to my pool room, since i added the kitchen and bathroom express's i have noticed the slowdown and video's blip. And i didnt think this would happen if i only set the additional express's to stream music only.

Thanks for the help - i will have a play tomorrow - your right, prehaps one of them is causing an issue - maybe a reset may help.

Thanks again Guys

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I might be wrong, but I thought multiple Airport Express units would only extend the Airport network if you explicitly set them up in a Wireless Distribution System? Otherwise they just sit as clients of the "main" base station. I've got my two units configured in a WDS because I needed to extend the range, but I do know that this slows the speed of the network.

In the Airport Admin Utility, there's a WDS page, with a checkbox for "Enable this base station as a WDS main/remote/relay base station". If you haven't checked the box for each unit and set up the WDS, then it shouldn't be extending the range.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
good lord! you can afford $130 * 4 = $520 just to connect to all the different speakers in your house to your network? theyre portable man! send me and the other poor posters here one AE each, keep one for yourself and carry it around like a normal person!

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
chaos86 said:
good lord! you can afford $130 * 4 = $520 just to connect to all the different speakers in your house to your network? theyre portable man! send me and the other poor posters here one AE each, keep one for yourself and carry it around like a normal person!

LOL i dont understand why there are some people that have issues with having every room linked! I love the idea of having every room listed on my iTunes! especially not i can have all rooms playing at the same time (ok i only use 4 (bathroom, kitchen, pool room, lounge, as thats the 4 rooms people use when we have pool nights)

whats the big deal man!? if i can afford it whats the problem!!!

Back to the issue in hand, when i get back from work i will have a long play with the network, as i agree with a few guys here, settting up the router to play music should not extend range and therefore should not decrease throughput

Thanks guys

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
chaos86 said:

I'm a poor poster, if you understand what I mean :D

But in all seriousness, the fact that you have 4 wireless devices could mean that they are interfering with each other. Or the fact that you have 4 devices using up wireless bandwidth. It's not like they transmit on some separate channel that is not 802.11g.

Someone correct me if what I have said is wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's right.

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
marknicholls said:
The problem was with the extreme - i have removed it from the network and everything runs great

The extreme should have been the root of your network. The fact that you were able to remove it and the network continues to function suggests that your setup was peculiar.

In general, a home network with the equipment you mention should look like:

Code:
---broadband----> Cable/DSL --->  Airport = = = = => Airport
   connection       Modem         Extreme            Express (extending & music)
                                          = = => Airport (music)
                                                 Express
                                          = = = => Airport (music)
                                                   Express

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
dietcokevanilla said:
I might be wrong, but I thought multiple Airport Express units would only extend the Airport network if you explicitly set them up in a Wireless Distribution System? Otherwise they just sit as clients of the "main" base station. I've got my two units configured in a WDS because I needed to extend the range, but I do know that this slows the speed of the network.

In the Airport Admin Utility, there's a WDS page, with a checkbox for "Enable this base station as a WDS main/remote/relay base station". If you haven't checked the box for each unit and set up the WDS, then it shouldn't be extending the range.
I've got my brand new unhacked Linksys with my AirPort Express and it just extends it's network.

I guess the new Linksys's have unadvertised WDS, as there is no WDS in the admin control panel, but it's working.

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
mrichmon said:
The extreme should have been the root of your network. The fact that you were able to remove it and the network continues to function suggests that your setup was peculiar.

In general, a home network with the equipment you mention should look like:

Code:
---broadband----> Cable/DSL --->  Airport = = = = => Airport
   connection       Modem         Extreme            Express (extending & music)
                                          = = => Airport (music)
                                                 Express
                                          = = = => Airport (music)
                                                   Express

sorry, i should have explained further

I tried removing express's thoroughout the house and it stayed the same, so i decided to remove the extreme and have an all express network, i had to reconfigure the entire network with an express as the main router, with other expres's running of it.

All is now running amazingly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.