Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Hi I just received a Kavaj Dallas case for my 6+ and I am really impressed with the leather and the nice detailing. For $34.90, it really beats the price of the Apple leather case for the 6+ and you get a minimal wallet functional and screen cover as well.

Kavaj Dallas iPhone 6 Plus Leather Wallet Case: Front Open View.jpg

Kavaj Dallas iPhone 6 Plus Leather Wallet Case: Back View.jpg

Kavaj Dallas iPhone 6 Plus Leather Wallet Case: Front Bottom View.jpg

Kavaj Dallas iPhone 6 Plus Leather Wallet Case: Stand View.jpg

I also reviewed it on YouTube, if anyone is interested. Check out the case if you are into leather cases--it is really nice:

http://youtu.be/cTEgCX5Yj-I

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I have the same KAVAJ cognac for my iPhone 6.

It is a wonderful case, beautifully designed and produced. I have mine since November.

An accidental feature is that it removes dust and fingerprints from the screen. I think it works because I hold the phone, cased closed, in my hand with pressure on the front and back. The inner flap micro fiber cleans the screen as a result.

Normally I carry a microfiber around and clean, wipe my screen multiple times a day. But no more with this case. Fingerprints are gone within an hour.

Good youtube video, btw.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
I have the same KAVAJ cognac for my iPhone 6.

It is a wonderful case, beautifully designed and produced. I have mine since November.

An accidental feature is that it removes dust and fingerprints from the screen. I think it works because I hold the phone, cased closed, in my hand with pressure on the front and back. The inner flap micro fiber cleans the screen as a result.

Normally I carry a microfiber around and clean, wipe my screen multiple times a day. But no more with this case. Fingerprints are gone within an hour.

Good youtube video, btw.

Thanks so much! Yes, it really is a lovely case-- very carefully made and such nice leather. Do you have the black or the cognac brown?

That's interesting about the screen cleaning-- I just got mine, but I'll have to pay attention and see if I notice that feature!

Thanks,

Kristin

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Thanks so much! Yes, it really is a lovely case-- very carefully made and such nice leather. Do you have the black or the cognac brown?

That's interesting about the screen cleaning-- I just got mine, but I'll have to pay attention and see if I notice that feature!

Thanks,

Kristin

You're welcome!

I have the same brown as you have. I favor the lighter tans and browns on the Space Grey. I love the Apple case, but the deep chocolate brown it turned into is not my favorite.

At first I was unsettled that the magnet in the flap affected the iPhone's compass. I don't use the compass much, but still. I've since discovered that if the flap is horizontal , meaning the same plane as the iPhone ( as if laying open on a table), the compass is accurate. Also if you just let the flap hang down, it is fine. Both maximize the distance the mag is from parts of the phone.

As you showed in your video, I just discovered that I can fold that second seam to expose the camera and flash, if I wish. That is unique!

The iPhone feels very safe in this KAVAJ case. It's a good find!

I got their similar case for my iPad air 2 first. It is also an amazing case.

Vf

Orlandorealtor

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
winter garden,fl
They make nice cases. If you sign up for their email you get a five dollar or 5 pound rebate when you purchase. I bought the Hamburg case for my iPad air 2 and may buy this Dallas case later for my iPhone 6+ but I bought a Shieldon Wallet leather case for my iPhone 6+ instead at this time which is very well made too on sale $27.95 seen here http://www.shieldonbox.com/shieldon...okstyle-for-iphone-6-plus-cognac-brown-2.html

Last edited:

dk206

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
London
I'm still struggling between mujjo wallet case vs KAVAJ Tokyo wallet case.... Want to see a real comparison between the two. Mujjo case is 1.75x the price of KAVAJ though...

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
They make nice cases. If you sign up for their email you get a five dollar or 5 pound rebate when you purchase. I bought the Hamburg case for my iPad air 2 and may buy this Dallas case later for my iPhone 6+ but I bought a Shieldon Wallet leather case for my iPhone 6+ instead at this time which is very well made too on sale $27.95 seen here http://www.shieldonbox.com/shieldon...okstyle-for-iphone-6-plus-cognac-brown-2.html

The leather and finish on that Shieldon look really fine.

I prefer the all leather look and external pockets on the Dallas, however. I prefer not to to see the black holder of the Shieldon. IMHO.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I'm still struggling between mujjo wallet case vs KAVAJ Tokyo wallet case.... Want to see a real comparison between the two. Mujjo case is 1.75x the price of KAVAJ though...

I have the Tokyo case as well.

The leather and stitching on the Mojjo look a bit finer on the Mojjo web site. However the camera cut out is a bit oversized and from one photo too deep for my tastes. I've been though a few cases, and this is what I look for.

I also prefer the double wallet pocket of the KAVAJ. I store temporary bits of paper, and prefer the tight fit.

There is no front photo to show the depth of the lip. The KAVAJ has good lay-on-the-table.

Other
Wise they look similar. One is less expensive as you say. Maybe step up to the plate and buy both and do a review for us?

dk206

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
London

The leather and stitching on the Mojjo look a bit finer on the Mojjo web site. However the camera cut out is a bit oversized and from one photo too deep for my tastes. I've been though a few cases, and this is what I look for.

I also prefer the double wallet pocket of the KAVAJ. I store temporary bits of paper, and prefer the tight fit.

There is no front photo to show the depth of the lip. The KAVAJ has good lay-on-the-table.

Other
Wise they look similar. One is less expensive as you say. Maybe step up to the plate and buy both and do a review for us?

Mujjo doesn't use Amazon as a distributor so it's hard for me to get hold of one and then do a return, my Tokyo case is arriving today and I have the apple leather midnight blue case. Would love to be able to do a mujjo vs KAVAJ vs Apple comparison.

If the KAVAJ doesn't live up to my expectations I will purchase the mujjo wallet from their official website and do a 3-way review

----------

Other

Yeah i agree the stitching on the mujjo looks a lot nicer.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
I have a Kavaj Tokyo arriving next week and I'll see if I can get a hold of a Mujjo to review as well. Sounds like a neat comparison. I'll be sure to report back!

Kristin

Orlandorealtor

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
winter garden,fl
The leather and finish on that Shieldon look really fine.

I prefer the all leather look and external pockets on the Dallas, however. I prefer not to to see the black holder of the Shieldon. IMHO.
The Shieldon leather is nice and fits well. Magnet seems to hold the cover on. . With the black you would not notice the holder..The main problem is when you take a flash picture the tan on the case gets picked up. Have emailed Shieldon to see if they are aware of this.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
The Shieldon leather is nice and fits well. Magnet seems to hold the cover on. . With the black you would not notice the holder..The main problem is when you take a flash picture the tan on the case gets picked up. Have emailed Shieldon to see if they are aware of this.

Shieldon made the classic design mistake regarding flash back (with the cognac tan). I see it far too often with leather backed cases. KAVAJ Dallas and Tokyo follow Apple's guide lines and have no flashback.

Shieldon and others make the camera opening too deep. KAVAJ is as shallow as the official Apple case. There is no fix for the Shieldon cognac other than using a black sharpie to darken the camera opening edges. I speak with experience from leather cases on my 4 and 5 iPhones. I also like the 2nd fold on the Dallas. It probably means the Shielden is a bit heavier too, since the back is thicker overall. Judging by the photos.

Regarding the difference between the Dallas and Tokyo: the Tokyo is as nice as the Apple case, but I prefer the cover flap addition of the Dallas. Can't quite articulate why, but it looks better and feels more protected and affords a screen protector in the design.

Just my view.

Last edited:

Orlandorealtor

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
winter garden,fl
Shieldon made the classic design mistake regarding flash back (with the cognac tan). I see it far too often with leather backed cases. KAVAJ Dallas and Tokyo follow Apple's guide lines and have no flashback.

Shieldon and others make the camera opening too deep. KAVAJ is as shallow as the official Apple case. There is no fix for the Shieldon cognac other than using a black sharpie to darken the camera opening edges.
So just blacken the inside of the camera cut out or did you blacken the outside too? Thanks

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
So just blacken the inside of the camera cut out or did you blacken the outside too? Thanks

Just the inside, like the Apple case is done. It will wear off though and you'll need to reapply.

The KAVAJ is one piece whereas the Shieldon attaches a black plastic holder to a thick leather back, making the dimension add up to be too thick. It's a common, yet poor design.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I have the Tokyo and Dallas, like the Dallas more. The edges on the Tokyo are kind of sharp which don't really feel that great when holding the phone.

dk206

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
London
Just received the KAVAJ last night. Initial thoughts the back card pockets feel really cheap and the leather feels nicer on the Official Apple leather than this. I am tempted to return and pay double for the Mujjo....as I said the only problem is they don't distribute via Amazon Prime :(

See others feedback regarding the build quality for mujjo below

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    645.3 KB · Views: 324

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Just received the KAVAJ last night. Initial thoughts the back card pockets feel really cheap and the leather feels nicer on the Official Apple leather than this. I am tempted to return and pay double for the Mujjo....as I said the only problem is they don't distribute via Amazon Prime :(

1. The Apple case is very fine but a different leather finish than the one used by KAVAJ. As a result, the Apple case is not offered in a tan/cognac color, plus it darkens further with use, the KAVAJ is high quality leather for the finish type it is.

2. This thread is about flip cover wallet cases which the Mojji is not.

:)

The motivations of this poster wouldn't lead to the Mojji case.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013

I haven't tried the Mujjo, but I am very pleased with the Kavaj Dallas--its back pockets don't have a cheap feel to me. The leather feels like nice quality leather to me--different finish, but just as good quality as the leather on the Apple Smart Case for my iPad Air 2 (I don't have the Apple leather case for my 6 Plus, so I can't directly compare them).
What is the case pictured in your post? It doesn't look like a Kavaj case. Is it a Mujjo? If so, they have a few quality issues there...

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I haven't tried the Mujjo, but I am very pleased with the Kavaj Dallas--its back pockets don't have a cheap feel to me. The leather feels like nice quality leather to me--different finish, but just as good quality as the leather on the Apple Smart Case for my iPad Air 2 (I don't have the Apple leather case for my 6 Plus, so I can't directly compare them).
What is the case pictured in your post? It doesn't look like a Kavaj case. Is it a Mujjo? If so, they have a few quality issues there...

Agreed. The KAVAJ is high quality.

Yes, that photo is the Mojjo, with the leather seam peeling off.

tech21

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2014
Does the KAVAK case close easily with a tempered glass screen protector applied on phone?
Thanks

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
I have a Zagg Glass ( not a Tech21 Impact Shield, sorry!) on my 6 Plus and the Kavaj Dallas closes just fine. You can check out my YouTube review (link is above) if you want to see the fit. My Zagg Glass tempered glass protector is on my phone in that video...

tech21

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2014
Thanks.
I have the Verizon Tempered Glass Screen Protector i picked up from Verizon store...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.