Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cammei64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
I Purchased the iPad mini for my niece and discovered her favorite app Bookworm is no longer available in the App Store. This is her all time favorite game and the main reason I bought her a tablet of her own.

I want to know if there is any way I can gift her or transfer the app from my iPad to her iPad mini. From the searches I've done so far this doesn't look possible. However when a popular app is no longer available for new users and it works fine for previous users who bought it I wish there was a way to pass it on.:(

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I Purchased the iPad mini for my niece and discovered her favorite app Bookworm is no longer available in the App Store. This is her all time favorite game and the main reason I bought her a tablet of her own.

I want to know if there is any way I can gift her or transfer the app from my iPad to her iPad mini. From the searches I've done so far this doesn't look possible. However when a popular app is no longer available for new users and it works fine for previous users who bought it I wish there was a way to pass it on.:(

Have you tried Family Sharing? It will let her pick from your apps so she can load it on hers. Another way would just to load the IPA on her tablet, and type in your password when it asks for it. It would be an issue if there were updates coming through because it'd keep asking you for the info, but it shouldn't be a problem here.

I love Bookworm too. I remember downloading it on my computer when it came out in 2003. Was really happy when it came out on the iPhone. Shame that the spinoff didn't go well for PopCap.

cammei64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
Thank you

I will look into family sharing, but I don't know what IPA is.

cammei64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
Going to try that.

Sorry. IPA = The app file itself. Once it's in iTunes, you'd just drag it over after plugging in her iPad.

In my searching I was told that wouldn't work, but I am going to try it anyway.

Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.