Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derekakadrock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
I have been considering purchasing an iPad Air 2 but am still trying to justify getting one, as I already own an iPhone 6 Plus.

I intend to use the iPad primarily for streaming videos. I have roommates and we have only one television, and I feel the larger screen of the iPad would be more comfortable for watching Netflix and such in the privacy of my room, when that TV isn't available.

I'm also interested in using the iPad for digital art apps like Paper and iDraw (which just aren't available on the iPhone), gaming (for which I feel that the processor and, again, the larger screen would be more ideal) and for having a more convenient computer than my MacBook Pro for road trips and vacations. However, I don't feel like I'd take advantage of these opportunities as often as I would streaming video.

Would you guys recommend sticking with my iPhone 6 Plus, since it can do all of these things (minus the art apps) and just make do with the smaller screen? Or would the iPad Air 2 be a wise investment in this case? I do have the budget for the iPad, so money would not be an issue here.

imaccooper

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2014
North Carolina
I would definitely recommend an iPad of some kind for watching videos. I use my air 1 some for watching Netflix and it works great so that could be a possible solution also. However, if you are looking to keep the iPad awhile (3-4 years +) then i would probably suggest the newest version for the obvious upgrades. The extra ram is also a great feature on the air 2 which i think you will probably take good advantage of.

I think you will find that you really love having an iPad as it is the perfect size for watching shows in bed as well as casual surfing and some great games.

cbronfman

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Washington DC
I have both

Strictly speaking - I don't need the iPad Air 2, but I'm glad I have it. I do stream videos sometimes on the iPhone 6 plus, I find I use both - the iPad Air 2 for surfing the web - viewing some sites where a more complete view is an option. The sound is good - I do like the 2GB of Ram. For Crossword Puzzles I prefer the iPad although I so some parts of them on my iPhone 6 plus. I love the latter as it is so much more functional (for my needs) than the original iPhone, the 3GS, the 4S and the 5S. I can't imagine editing documents on it though - which I can do on my iPad Air 2.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
I have both too

The iPad for me has replaced my personal laptop, amd has done since 2011, when I first biught the iPad 2. I do all my personal email, productivity, banking and finance, gaming (even almost all the greats I grew up with on my PC and gaming consoles are available on iOS, and a ton of great new ones too - I'm only an Apple convert since 2010), web browsing, photo library management, social networking, yes video watching, and trolling this forum ;)

I have nothing personal at all on my MBA, it is strictly for professional use. Not saying the iPad is a total laptop replacement, but for personal use it is, both for me and my wife. Our kids may never own a laptop as we think of them now...but that's besides the point.

The iPhone 6+ is way more functional than previous iPhones, but a phone will never be big enough to be the device that does all of the above things as a promary device. The iPad Mini is probably the minimum size for that (I used to have one until the gimped it this time around) and the iPhone will never be that big.

For videos the iPad is much better, and will always be much better, if that is your main use case. I think you'll definitely find your uses diversifyingand you'll be going for your MBP less and less in a private capacity, reserving the laptop for doing more complicated school work.

I say definitely go for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.