Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

singhshady87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2015
hi

i need some help,

i dropped my mid 2009 MBP and have bent the top lid, and now cant close the lid because the bottom corner glass pervents the lid to be closed

i searched all over google and ebay etc for a replacement part (Just the led not the screen) ,and im about to rip my hair (whats left of it) out.

is their anyway of me getting this fixed or am i screwed?!

ive enclosed some pic so you know what i mean

Attachments

• IMG_3734.JPG
    IMG_3734.JPG
    466.3 KB · Views: 85

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Replace the complete screen

hi

i need some help,

i dropped my mid 2009 MBP and have bent the top lid, and now cant close the lid because the bottom corner glass pervents the lid to be closed

i searched all over google and ebay etc for a replacement part (Just the led not the screen) ,and im about to rip my hair (whats left of it) out.

is their anyway of me getting this fixed or am i screwed?!

ive enclosed some pic so you know what i mean

You can either replace the whole lid or you can try and carefully bend it back, they are pretty much you options at the moment or use as is if the LCD is fine.

singhshady87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2015
hi thats my problem, i cant find any replacement parts for the display housing,

the screen is 100% perfect, no scratches cracks

as you can see from the pic when i close the lid, it will not fully close because as the hinge bit flushes with the keyboard part, there is still going to be a be a big kink in it.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

singhshady87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2015
LOL im sorry but i dont see at all fee-sable to pay $300 for just a lid housing, im sure many people will agree thats a ******** rip off

+ im based in the UK , should've mentioned that earlier

esp if it has dents and scratches on it

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
LOL im sorry but i dont see at all fee-sable to pay $300 for just a lid housing, im sure many people will agree thats a ******** rip off

+ im based in the UK , should've mentioned that earlier

esp if it has dents and scratches on it

Well they do come up on the uk site sometimes. If thats the price then pay it or don't, up to you but that is your fix if you want it. You can pick up a second hand one of the 2009 13 inch for £300-£400 though.

Personally i'd just put the money towards a new one though at 6 years old that laptop is nearing the end of it's shelf life anyway.

singhshady87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2015
sorry but no chance, my MBP runs faster than most macbook pros out there, it running 8GB ram with a 1TB SSD. Why would i need to upgrade?

I personally dont think spending 250 quid on a piece of metal makes sense, esp buying a new machine when i have a perfect working one.

again all im asking for is just the lcd housing, not the complete thing.

some help in getting one for a sensible price, someone who is selling one or someone who can help me get this sorted. ***IN THE UK**

My budget is 50 quid poss more, would be most helpful, Thanks

Last edited:

illusionx

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Brossard, QC
!PLEASE HELP! MBP Mid 2009 bent display lid

Not a chance your 09 can outperform a retina MBP.

Have you tried looking at iFixit store? They often have parts for sale. AFAIK, they ship worldwide.

Also, the display is not easy to disassemble, so it's probably best to get the whole thing.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
sorry but no chance, my MBP runs faster than most macbook pros out there, it running 8GB ram with a 1TB SSD. Why would i need to upgrade?s

Sorry but benchmarks and people's user's experience say otherwise.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
sorry but no chance, my MBP runs faster than most macbook pros out there, it running 8GB ram with a 1TB SSD. Why would i need to upgrade?

I personally dont think spending 250 quid on a piece of metal makes sense, esp buying a new machine when i have a perfect working one.

again all im asking for is just the lcd housing, not the complete thing.

some help in getting one for a sensible price, someone who is selling one or someone who can help me get this sorted. ***IN THE UK**

My budget is 50 quid poss more, would be most helpful, Thanks

Firstly, you haven't specified whether it's a 13" or 15" - that's going to make a fair bit of difference when it comes to finding the right parts for the screen!

A whole screen assembly will set you back about £200-250. It seems fairly difficult to source one in the UK, but on eBay lots of US sellers ship here.

What you need to buy will depend on what's been broken. From the picture, it seems like the whole assembly will need replacing unless you're confident of disassembling it, replacing the LCD and bending the frame back. Remember though there are also things like WiFi antennas, the camera etc in the screen assembly so it's definitely not an easy job.

If you want to buy the whole assembly, here are some suggestions:
15" (£191): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/95-NEW-Gl...159?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d1d1d775f

13" (£98): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USED-LCD-...616?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3390ebe458

The 15" one is like new so that's why it's a fair bit more. You could probably get cheaper ones, but these are from trusted sellers who have sold more than one.

Depending on the spec of your computer, it is, in all likelihood, worth about £300-500. If you replace the screen, you are probably spending about 25%-60% of what the computer's worth. At this stage, I would consider upgrading the whole computer and selling the 2009 MBP as-is.

It is the more expensive option, but you could take the 1TB SSD out and use it as an external drive and you would get a much faster computer. Another option is buying a second hand 2012 cMBP, as they're cheaper than buying a new laptop. You could also then use your RAM and SSD from your old MBP.

singhshady87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2015
ok yes my 2009 wouldnt beat the newer macbooks but my mbp would cream a 'standard' retina any day,

im looking for the cheapest option to fix this. thats all

for what i use my mac for, producing music and usall daily uni work its perfect for me as im going to anodize this at a later point.

i was hoping some on here would have a spare part but again i guess its pot luck

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
ok yes my 2009 wouldnt beat the newer macbooks but my mbp would cream a 'standard' retina any day,

for what i use my mac for, producing music and usall daily uni work its perfect for me as im going to anodize this at a later point.

i was hoping some on here would have a spare part but again i guess its pot luck

I'm not really sure what you mean by a 'standard' retina. The latest bottom end 13" MBP will be faster than your 2009 MBP - it's faster in real world usage than my quad-core 2011 MBP!

The cheapest option is probably to buy the whole screen assembly - the LCD is notoriously difficult to replace on its own, as you have to separate it from the glass which is glued on. A guide to see what it's like is here: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+LCD+Replacement/4311

You could always take it to Apple and see what they say - they may offer you a flat rate repair, however I'm not really certain when they do that. They should give you a quote for the repair though.

The 'spare part' you're looking for is probably the whole screen assembly which you can buy on eBay.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
The fix is your craftsmanship..

Hi there,

In my opinion it would be the best to carefully bend the lid back in the original position. Aluminium is a very soft material and compared to steel or stainless stell, the material can be bent back very easy. (I say 'very easy" compared to steal, - which is however relative)
My step by step is this:
1. Dedicate two days with 5 hours each to the task at hand.
2a) Get informed about "how to disassemble the display on that model"
(YouTube, Google, Mainboard repair shops, BGA Repair shops, OWC, Computer Medic...)
2b) If necessary, source new fittings, sealants, rubbers, suctions caps, at sources above.
3a) Professionally disassemble display
3b) Get informed about metal bending techniques at youtube.
4. Back bending of lid without attached glass body
5. Assemble display

Remember:
You can do more things than you could ever imagine. Your only stumbling block is your mind that already decided that it will not work...

Cost & risk assessment:
Risk: Minor. Cost: Minor: Your intelligence, time and craftsmanship.

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.