Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thechris69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
I used the app candybar to change the icons on my dock, great little app, but the trial version only lasts 15 days, is there any other free program to change the icons on your dock??? any suggestions would be great

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
thechris69 said:
... any other free program to change the icons on your dock??? any suggestions would be great

not as far as i know
(others will maybe know of one)
but to do it manually-- very easy

find the icon itself on your machine
<control + click> "Show in Finder"

then <Command + i> on the app/icon itself

then do the same w/ the icon you want

so you will have 2 info windows open next to one another
one w/ the icon u want & one w/ the old icon --

click once on the one you want
then copy it <command +c>
then paste it over the one you are tired of
by clicking once on the older one and paste <command +v>

and there you are
you might have to open the program for it to change the icon on the dock
but ur all set :)

happy dock changing!

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Yeah, you don't need a program to change the dock icons.

Change the program icon, then take the program out of the dock and then redrag it in when it has the new icon. Bang.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
thechris69 said:
I used the app candybar to change the icons on my dock, great little app, but the trial version only lasts 15 days, is there any other free program to change the icons on your dock??? any suggestions would be great
I've been using Candybar (still on trial, though), and love it. I'd just go ahead and buy it. Doesn't cost tons or anything. :)

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
amateurmacfreak said:
I've been using Candybar (still on trial, though), and love it. I'd just go ahead and buy it. Doesn't cost tons or anything. :)
Yay! Just bought it! A little gift from the parents for the good grades....:)
But the last grade gift was a 5G iPod. :eek: CandyBar's a little step down from that, eh? :p

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
As I understand it Candybar helps you easily change the system default icons (folders, etc) in a general way, so each default item pops up with your new look, rather than having to change each one.

You can easily change each app icon on your dock without paying for software. If you want to make more sweeping changes to the look of all of your computer's icons, Candybar may be the way to go..for only $12

keithbennis

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2006
Coral Springs
cyberddot said:
As I understand it Candybar helps you easily change the system default icons (folders, etc) in a general way, so each default item pops up with your new look, rather than having to change each one.

You can easily change each app icon on your dock without paying for software. If you want to make more sweeping changes to the look of all of your computer's icons, Candybar may be the way to go..for only $12

^

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.