Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Hey guys, I have a Late 2008 15" MacBook Pro that was working fine until one day, it wouldn't detect the HDD. I swapped the cable and now its still not working. Is the SATA controller shot?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I swapped the cable and now its still not working. Is the SATA controller shot?

Yeah, it works fine. I've even booted off of it with a USB SATA connector.

Unfortunately I would conclude it is, there is only the controller, cable and HDD.

If you have swapped out the cable with a known good one and confirmed the HDD is good then there is only the controller left (plus a small possibility that you damaged the second cable installing it, sorry but had to mention).

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Unfortunately I would conclude it is, there is only the controller, cable and HDD.

If you have swapped out the cable with a known good one and confirmed the HDD is good then there is only the controller left (plus a small possibility that you damaged the second cable installing it, sorry but had to mention).

It would be kinda hard to damage the cable, nonetheless, I'm contacting powerbook medic (maybe they sent me a faulty one?) just to see if there is anything I can do

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013

I can see the SATA controller in 'System Profiler' , so I'm really thinking its the cable. Also, how do I get into AHT with this mac?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I can see the SATA controller in 'System Profiler' , so I'm really thinking its the cable. Also, how do I get into AHT with this mac?

Just because the controller is visible to the system doesn't mean it is functioning properly.

By all means replace the cable again if you have the means and/or doubt whether it is a known good cable, it is worth it given the impact of it being the controller and hence logic board.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Just because the controller is visible to the system doesn't mean it is functioning properly.

By all means replace the cable again if you have the means and/or doubt whether it is a known good cable, it is worth it given the impact of it being the controller and hence logic board.

Good point, I'm trying to contact PBM right now, but we've had a 'snow apocalypse' which shuts down the south.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
LOL - Uk just shuts down completely. I'm now in Auckland, next to no snow here, ever...

Anyway, PowerbookMedic will be swapping the part out post-haste, I just need to get to the postal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.