Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
EDIT: So, it appears there are multiple size straps. So far it can be seen that there are 'S/M', 'M/L' and 'L'. I wonder if there is simply 'S' or 'M'? I also wonder which straps this will apply to?

So I made a post a few weeks back asking about multiple strap sizes. I'm not talking in regards to 38mm or 42mm but whether for example the 38mm sports strap will be a one size fits all or come in multiple sizes.

Everyone stated that they won't come in different sizes and I kind of agreed. However, I just found this photo showing the 42mm leather loop which has an 'L' printed on it which I assume stands for large.

I've also attached the sports band, however I cannot work out what it says.

So, could there be multiple sizes?

5e33333fb8aacb726043ca9b20ea89ab.jpg

0693bf5bdb9b41a9de73971be5e3f103.jpg

0fc757b5b10159bfab293572f0682e4d.jpg

dfda767510a08b954fc5dff1e8629dd9.jpg

Last edited:

lirn8

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
israel
L for left handed
R for right handed
But when I think about it.....
There is no different between regular left or right watch

TS19

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2015
For the love of Christ.

So we have different size watches.

Different models.

Different straps.

Different size of straps.

So will you be able to choose what strap size you want with the watch? If so, how many different :apple:Watches will they have?

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Multiple strap sizes

For the love of Christ.

So we have different size watches.

Different models.

Different straps.

Different size of straps.

So will you be able to choose what strap size you want with the watch? If so, how many different :apple:Watches will they have?

Well, Apple did say that there are millions of combinations!

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1

This is why I think they will use a build-to-order system. Apple Online and Apple Retail Stores will be able to build you one however you like. 3rd party resellers (Best Buy, Fry's, etc) will only have certain models in different sizes.

Lets say you walk into Apple and you want a 42mm Space Gray Sport with a Large green Sport band. They will be able to build that for you so you don't have to buy the band that comes with the watch. At Best Buy, you would have to get the pre-packaged Space Gray with Black band then get the green band on the side.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Keep in mind that:
1. Other brands of straps will be available, particularly from fashion designers (Gucci, LV, Feragamo, etc.)
2. or not so fashion designer (sport straps)
3. or cheap but colorful ones (from Chinese websites)

Also, apparently the face clocks will be crazily designed by 3rd party. Expect thousands of them from AppStore to choose from.

So the millions combo that Apple mentioned are not too far-fetched.

Interesting fact: this is the most customizable Apple products ever.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This is why I think they will use a build-to-order system. Apple Online and Apple Retail Stores will be able to build you one however you like. 3rd party resellers (Best Buy, Fry's, etc) will only have certain models in different sizes.

Lets say you walk into Apple and you want a 42mm Space Gray Sport with a Large green Sport band. They will be able to build that for you so you don't have to buy the band that comes with the watch. At Best Buy, you would have to get the pre-packaged Space Gray with Black band then get the green band on the side.

I still think Apple retail stores will only display the models in each collection that we see on Apple's website. The only question is if you want something different than what's displayed will Apple do BTO? Or will that only be available online?

JFazYankees

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
Now I'm wondering if all of the bands will come in multiple sizes. For example, I'm looking at the 42mm SS watch with the SS link bracelet, but I have small-ish wrists. I'm wondering if the link bracelet would fit even will all the removable links taken out. Multiple sizes would nullify issues like this.

gcooldude86

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Now I'm wondering if all of the bands will come in multiple sizes. For example, I'm looking at the 42mm SS watch with the SS link bracelet, but I have small-ish wrists. I'm wondering if the link bracelet would fit even will all the removable links taken out. Multiple sizes would nullify issues like this.

I would think the link bracelett would be one size fits all as the links are removeable, and from what the pictures show looks like quite a number of links are removeable.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Multiple strap sizes

I would think the link bracelett would be one size fits all as the links are removeable, and from what the pictures show looks like quite a number of links are removeable.

6 links can be removed in the 38mm band (3 from each side) and 8 from the 42mm band (4 from each side). At least, that's how they appear on the Apple website.

Personally, I don't feel this will be enough for my wrists, so hoping that it will come in multiple sizes or more links can be removed.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
6 links can be removed in the 38mm band (3 from each side) and 8 from the 42mm band (4 from each side). At least, that's how they appear on the Apple website.

Personally, I don't feel this will be enough for my wrists, so hoping that it will come in multiple sizes or more links can be removed.

I think you'll only be able to remove 4 links from the 38mm band and 6 from the 42mm band.

It looks like pressing one of the buttons will detach an inner half-link from one of the adjacent outer half-links. The inner half-link is will still be attached to the other outer half-link. On one side of the 38mm band, you can do this 3 times. You'll be left with 2 loose full links, but the last half-link with a release button will still be attached to the rest of the band. The other side of the band will work the same way.

They can easily come in "multiple sizes": one standard size with a few links worth of adjustment. If it isn't large enough, you buy as many additional links as you need. Other vendors sell extra links for their high-end stainless steel bands, and there's no reason why Apple can't do the same thing.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I still think Apple retail stores will only display the models in each collection that we see on Apple's website. The only question is if you want something different than what's displayed will Apple do BTO? Or will that only be available online?

I think for the first time they will be able to do BTO in store for those who want let's say a green Sport band with Stainless case. You wouldn't pay any extra then the one with the Black band, but you'd get the green band in place of the black one.

I'm curious to see which models they choose to put out on the floor as demo units. I'm figuring one of each (including the different case colors) minus the Edition versions.

rossy100

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2011
I think for the first time they will be able to do BTO in store for those who want let's say a green Sport band with Stainless case. You wouldn't pay any extra then the one with the Black band, but you'd get the green band in place of the black one.

I'm curious to see which models they choose to put out on the floor as demo units. I'm figuring one of each (including the different case colors) minus the Edition versions.

I suspect that web orders will be completely to order (i.e. you choose watch, strap, size etc and it all comes delivered as a neat package) but in store they will offer a number of standard variations + additional straps to be purchased separately. This will help them control store inventory, and also the time to make a sale. This model is exactly the same as with MacBooks........ online are specced to order, whereas in store there are standard spec options available.

applegeek01

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2014
Knoxville, TN
I suspect that web orders will be completely to order (i.e. you choose watch, strap, size etc and it all comes delivered as a neat package) but in store they will offer a number of standard variations + additional straps to be purchased separately. This will help them control store inventory, and also the time to make a sale. This model is exactly the same as with MacBooks........ online are specced to order, whereas in store there are standard spec options available.

I'm going to agree with you on this one. Apple will be able to customize orders online quickly, efficiently, and easily. This will allow customers to purchase what they want and for everyone to be happy.

----------

I think I have heard somewhere(a podcast I think) that demos for the Edition versions will be available in store. It was mentioned that Apple has been stocking up on safes (as we all know) and is installing glass cabinets to house the edition versions during store hours. Customers will be able to ask a retail employee to try on and edition watch, they will unlock the cabinet, and then clean and store the watch after the customer is finish. Pure speculation, but I think it could work. I think it was mentioned in the Happy Hour podcast.

Seannyb

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
Oregon
L for left handed
R for right handed
But when I think about it.....
There is no different between regular left or right watch

Thanks for that. Very informative! And downright hilarious.

But seriously, I am convinced (and excited) that most bands will come in various sizes.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.