Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MACelmore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
I was so excited to get the 6plus, but after a few months with it, I've grown quite tired of it. Not the size, but the lack of things I can do WITH that size.

I've been thinking, and the only reason I have an iPhone is because I have a Macbook and iPad. Certainly not a good reason to keep paying a company for a phone you're not completely happy with.

I'm wondering if anyone has made the switch to Android (unlikely, seeing as the phone has only been out 6 months), or if anyone is similarly underwhelmed and thinking about switching. If you have switched or are considering it, which device are your eyes on?

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I was so excited to get the 6plus, but after a few months with it, I've grown quite tired of it. Not the size, but the lack of things I can do WITH that size.

I've been thinking, and the only reason I have an iPhone is because I have a Macbook and iPad. Certainly not a good reason to keep paying a company for a phone you're not completely happy with.

I'm wondering if anyone has made the switch to Android (unlikely, seeing as the phone has only been out 6 months), or if anyone is similarly underwhelmed and thinking about switching. If you have switched or are considering it, which device are your eyes on?

Sounds like you need to jailbreak. Trust me, you'll never get bored again. So many things you can do. Is safe.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
I've come full circle, I got bored then jailbroke and did tons and tons of tweaks for a really long time. And now thats gotten old to me. I like my boring, reliable phone again..I even have the default wallpaper. HA.

Just jailbreak and that should entertain you enough, if not then yeah try an Android phone.

Last edited:

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
I like the size and form factor. A lot.

Sadly, there's little joy due to all the crashing, bugs and annoyances.

Perhaps Apple will live up to the recent rumor about concentrating on improving the myriad of problems within the next six months or so. Already 2 years late in catching up to the competition concerning screen size I guess waiting some more is to be expected.

Especially since Apples customer base isn't particularly discerning. They are demonstrating they'll just keep buying no matter what the performance is like.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I need a safe and reliable source to jailbreak

What iOS are you on? If 8.1.3 you can't.

JB is safe. Its the tweaks and repos you install that make it unsafe. Installing repos like hackyouriphone.org can mess some things up.

Also understand that JB is nothing like it was in 2010. In 2015 its safe now, fast and even my 58 year old dad jailbroke his phone and messes around with tweaks.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I'm bored of all the bugs and 'it just works' BS.
iOS8 will never be fixed meaning that the 6+ is a write off due to insufficient RAM and a crap o/s. Basically we're all waiting for new hardware and new software. I should have saved myself £700 and stuck with my iPhone 5 for another 12 months. This 6+ does nothing that my old i5 didn't do and it actually reloads tabs & apps more readily. I paid £700 for a bigger screen, better battery and yet worse browsing performance.
I might give Apple one last go with the 6S+, I might not...

Last edited:

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
iOS8 will never be fixed meaning that the 6+ is a write off due to insufficient RAM and a crap o/s. Basically we're all waiting for new hardware and new software. I should have saved myself £700 and stuck with my iPhone 5 for another 12 months. This 6+ does nothing that my old i5 didn't do and it actually reloads tabs & apps more readily. I paid £700 for a bigger screen, better battery and yet worse browsing performance.

Exactly. iPhone 5 running iOS 6 outperforms the 6+. Sad isn't it?

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX

Right there with you about the bugs. But, I think there may be some hope at least. If the rumors of Apple focusing on a Snow Leopard-style bug fix update with iOS 9, then the performance on the 6+ should get better, even though it is still lacking a bit in the RAM department. I'm trying to keep hope alive anyway!

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Right there with you about the bugs. But, I think there may be some hope at least. If the rumors of Apple focusing on a Snow Leopard-style bug fix update with iOS 9, then the performance on the 6+ should get better, even though it is still lacking a bit in the RAM department. I'm trying to keep hope alive anyway!

Yeah but our shiny new phones will be one year old then, and to have to limp along in a frustrated and disappointed manner until Apple can be bothered to make them run well is pretty unacceptable. I'll be too busy salivating over the new 6S and its 2GB of RAM to fall in love with my 6+ by that time...

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
I'm not using the plus but I'm far from bored with my 6. I just recently started using it without a case and I'm still pretty enamored with the new form factor.

iOS is iOS. You can be bored with it or you can take it for what it is and get on with your day. I choose the latter.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
The fact remains that the 6+ should have gotten 2 gbs of RAM. Both phones should have, but the 6+ definitely needed it. I've ran an iPhone 6 and 6+. I personally believe neither run as good as the 5 and 5s does on there original OS, but the 6's performance is better then the 6+ for sure.

I realize that there will be posts that someone's 6+ runs just fine, but that was not my experience and is the reason I stuck with the iPhone 6. It has better performance.

I Truly hope the 6s and 6s+ has 2 gb's of RAM. I realize that iOS is more fluid then android and did not need all the RAM, but now it's at the point that it does need more RAM

MACelmore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
You need to find a hobby that will keep you busy and excited.
Buying new electronics every few months can get expensive.

I'm not bored because I want a new device. I'm bored because there is no way to optimize all of that screen size, and I feel like it's wasted.

g.t. rags

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Long Island
Use my phone for a lot more now....

More work friendly, battery last forever, camara is fantastic

dont think I'll ever get bored... Think the could squeeze a little more screen for the 7+

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
If anyone here is bored with their 6 Plus it's because most likely nobody cares to call them so they have no one to talk to, after all it IS a PHONE. If you can't find anything to do with your 6Plus it's because you have nothing of importance going on that needs the power and functionality of an iPhone 6 Plus. I have no idea what the OP is talking about. Every app I use utilizes all the screen real estate without issue. You have choices sir, you can switch to Android or Windows phone if you can't deal with the iPhone 6 plus.

What's with this pity party in regards to bugs? I have not seen any issues with my 6 Plus and I use it for work daily.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I'm not bored because I want a new device. I'm bored because there is no way to optimize all of that screen size, and I feel like it's wasted.

I agree. I wasn't bored with my iPhone 4 for 18+ months, I loved it, and my iPhone 5 was 'ok' (apart from battery life) for 15 months. My 6+ has been a disappointment from day one though, and considering it cost me £700 (64GB) for the 'latest and greatest' I'm distinctly underwhelmed. There's no way I can keep this longer than 12 months and I would rather, in hindsight, have lived with the i5 until the 6S came out. I'm not one for upgrading every 12 months but the 6+ has me itching to do so even just a few short months into ownership. I feel that Apple let me down with this phone. It hasn't got sufficient RAM for my requirements, it hasn't got any Note-style 'phablet' features, and the o/s is buggy as heck. I think more buggy than the 4.7" iPhone 6 due to the different hardware. We're almost halfway through the product lifecycle and still this software feels obviously unfinished. I wonder if anyone at Cupertino actually uses a 6+.

The phone does have some great aspects; the battery life, screen and loudspeaker for sure, but there's nothing especially high tech about stuffing a bigger battery into a larger casing. We shouldn't base our love for the phone purely on the bigger screen and bigger battery. It needs so much more and Apple just didn't deliver. Even a fluid o/s couldn't have saved this turkey IMO. The fact it hasn't even got that just rubber stamps an all round bad effort. A bit harsh? Possibly. Some folk love it and I don't want to dampen their enthusiasm but for me it just doesn't cut the mustard.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
My 6+ has been a disappointment from day one though, and considering it cost me £700 (64GB) for the 'latest and greatest' I'm distinctly underwhelmed....

The phone does have some great aspects; the battery life, screen and loudspeaker for sure, but there's nothing especially high tech about stuffing a bigger battery into a larger casing. We shouldn't base our love for the phone purely on the bigger screen and bigger battery. It needs so much more and Apple just didn't deliver.

But you bought it without fully checking it out like any consumer that cares about what their money is being spent on would do, so it's your own fault.

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
But you bought it without fully checking it out like any consumer that cares about what their money is being spent on would do, so it's your own fault.

I was unhappy with the RAM when the specs were released and vowed to get a Note 4. However, the Samsungs I played with in two stores had loose volume rockers and I was also having second thoughts about leaving the Apple ecosystem. I have over £200 of paid for apps, and I did think that the RAM issue wouldn't be any worse than my iPhone 5...
Well it is. My 6+ reloads browser tabs and apps for fun. I didn't envisage that being the case, and nor could I have been expected to envisage that. Of course you're right that I should have passed on the 6+ but for the aforementioned reasons, rightly or wrongly, I didn't. That doesn't mean that I can't criticise the most expensive mobile phone on the market though.

wilky76

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
Wigan
I bought the iPhone 6 when it first came out, and was disappointed so was sent back, due to both scratched screen out of the box and hardware problems on the replacement & iOS 8 being terrible at launch, and bought myself a Nexus 5 saying I'll never return to Apple or iOS again.

I recently ie last week decided to give the iPhone 6 another chance, so bought myself another 64GB version & you know what I couldn't be happier now, totally no defects at all & iOS 8 has improved loads since launch it not perfect but it much better.

I know intend keeping the iPhone 6 until the 7 is launched next year, my Nexus 5 will now become my Work/Nights out phone so i still got my Android fix.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I don't get bored with phones, or tablets. I just use them. Had the iPhone 5 before so definitely a bit of a change over the 6+.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.