Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Is the Nexus line a guinea pig line? I feel like the Nexus line has so many bugs and people become public beta testers by purchasing items from the Nexus line. Anyone feel the same way?

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Is the Nexus line a guinea pig line? I feel like the Nexus line has so many bugs and people become public beta testers by purchasing items from the Nexus line. Anyone feel the same way?

Nope. My Nexus 4 and 5 are great phones. The Nexus 5, in particular, is still a top of the line phone and I continue to use it daily (albeit not as a phone, but for all things Android in terms of apps and updates for the OS).

And you could say the same thing about the iPhone and iOS. The amount of bugs in iOS8 has been a PIA on my iPhone 6 and Air 2. The copy/paste and keyboard issues are what really drive me nuts. One of the main reasons I bought a BT keyboard smart case for my iPad with iOS specific function keys. To avoid those software bugs.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Not really. Sure it occasionally has a bug or three but then so does every other manufacturers version of Android, iOS and even WP, BB10 etc.

I remember buying a Note 3 on launch day here and it had a major bug where it couldn't make / receive calls on 2G GSM resulting in my new handset being at best unreliable here and at worst unusable for around 5 weeks until Samsung rolled out a fix.

Then there are bugs in iOS, HTC Sense, LG Emotion UX and so forth. They are all culprits - whats important is the speed a fix is rolled out.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Nope. Nexus 6 and the Nexus 5 have been one of the most stable phones I've ever had. Much better user experience than the Note 4 and goes head to head with the iPhone 6+

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Nope. My Nexus 4 and 5 are great phones. The Nexus 5, in particular, is still a top of the line phone and I continue to use it daily (albeit not as a phone, but for all things Android in terms of apps and updates for the OS).

And you could say the same thing about the iPhone and iOS. The amount of bugs in iOS8 has been a PIA on my iPhone 6 and Air 2. The copy/paste and keyboard issues are what really drive me nuts. One of the main reasons I bought a BT keyboard smart case for my iPad with iOS specific function keys. To avoid those software bugs.

Yeah, I'm on the iPhone 6+ beta program.#

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Perhaps this was true 4-5 years ago when the original Nexus One was labeled a developer's phone. Now the Nexus line have become legit, consumer products. Usually it takes 3-4 generations until things get refined and become more mainstream. The Nexus 6 is probably the first that isn't inferior to its OEM sibling. If Nexus is a guinea pig line, then Samsung Galaxy S line would be one for the Note series. But it seems all products are refined enough that they aren't for beta testers only.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Nexus, A Guinea Pig Line?

no. never had problems with nexus5.

----------

Yeah, I'm on the iPhone 6+ beta program.

im with air2.. ios still sucks and apps crashing daily...

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I used to think they were a 'Guinea Pig line', up until the Nexus 4 which was a much more 'mature' Nexus phone, the ones before it do seem to be truly Beta products, especially the Galaxy Nexus.

With the above said, there's a part of me that sees Nexus devices as 'wanna be' top end phones, they are full of compromise:

No MicroSD slot
Smaller batteries than 'competitors'
Lower quality displays
Camera sensors that are average at best
Average build quality

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I always thought Nexus devices got better and better with each consecutive year? If it is a guinea pig line, it's not a bad line of option for Android users at all.

I wonder what Google will do with the Nexus smartphone this year. Will they continue using Motorola, since they seem to give each OEM two devices? Will they continue pushing 6" screens? It'll be really interesting.

I, for one, hope they let Motorola continue making the next generation Nexus 6, but enlist someone else to make a next generation Nexus 5. And I hope that someone else is Sony or HTC! :D

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
While I do feel that yes sometimes we nexus users get software before it is fully done I've never had any show stopper bugs (even on lollipop).

And you have to think of the flip side as well. Bugs from updates can happen to ANY phone. And if you aren't using a nexus you can be stuck with those bugs for who knows how long (could be forever). I'm not happy with the memory leaks and poorer battery life on the Nexus 5 on Lollipop anymore than the rest of you. But I know that google is aware of these issues because basically everyone at google uses a Nexus (I have many friends who work there). And I know that when Google does fix the bugs I'll be getting those fixes sooner rather than later.

Just try to see the glass half full :)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I used to think they were a 'Guinea Pig line', up until the Nexus 4 which was a much more 'mature' Nexus phone, the ones before it do seem to be truly Beta products, especially the Galaxy Nexus.

With the above said, there's a part of me that sees Nexus devices as 'wanna be' top end phones, they are full of compromise:

No MicroSD slot
Smaller batteries than 'competitors'
Lower quality displays
Camera sensors that are average at best
Average build quality

Apart from a dislike of vanilla android/preference for touch wiz, the lack of features/inferiority compared to other android devices have always made me stay away from the nexus phones. At least in the past the nexus devices were cheaper which I suppose was compensation for their shortcomings. However now they charge premium prices and you don't get a premium product.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
ios8: settings -> privacy -> "diagnostic..." - "diagnostic..."

dont know what those two are called in english...

Thanks. There are a number of files listed there.

The only that I can see that has crashed (LatestCrash.ips) was google play newsstand.

There are a number of other files (jetsamEvent - FlashStatus - excResource) but only ones with crash was as I say google play newsstand.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Logs are not there forever...

just interested in knowing:
what is causing jetsamevent log (is it low in memory log?) on your device? (click it and check the details)

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Logs are not there forever...

just interested in knowing:
what is causing jetsamevent log (is it low memory crash?) on your device? (click it and check the details)

How can I tell from the details if its a low memory crash ? I honestly don't know how to read those logs.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I had a Nexus S 4G and it was a great performer.

No real complaints about it at all.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
according to my ipad's logs Photon Web Browser (browser I use to check flash based surf cams) crashes all the time, yet I never see any evidence of it. weird...

How can I tell from the details if its a low memory crash ? I honestly don't know how to read those logs.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
My Nexus 5 is awesome. Runs anything and everything I throw at it and the upgrade to Lollipop made me feel like I was getting a whole new phone. I don't see the Nexus series as a "guinea pig" line at all.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I had the Nexus One and loved it, A great phone. I'd say the Nexus line started out as a way for google to show phone makers a design that could push the boundaries (inside and outside the phone) Back when the Nexus One was announced there was no Samsung phones, just a handful of makers including HTC. I think it served that purpose and more.

Its a solid phone that if I choose to return to Android will be one that I look seriously at.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Nexus, A Guinea Pig Line?

there is a part "largest process" (about on the place 1/3 from the top) and on the first line it says bug_type for example "bug_type 198"

for me opera mini browser (i dont use safari at all) is the reason for jetsam logs and been seen tapatalk doing the same.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Before, I would say yes. But starting with the 4 and really the 5 as the 4 had quite a few issues and bugs still. But previously, yeah the phones were mehh, glitches galore, beyond awful battery life, crappy cameras, and just specs in general to others.... but you did get updates and could root/rom fast. Didn't mean much to me and why I got rid of them, as even rom'd your still stuck with the other problems. Their a lot better now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.