Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chuiting

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
We are looking into purchasing either a ATV or AE to use at a school for streaming of audio during sporting events. I am trying to figure out which one would work better.

We will be playing audio from an iPad inside the gymnasium. The new device will be located in the corner of the gym in a ticketbooth where the audio rack is.

The analog on the AX and optical on ATV does not matter. We can use both of those.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
AE is perfect for Audio.

Using the AppleTV will confuse your iPad, and it will want to transfer video and other stuff to it, because it thinks it's a video device. It should work though... especially if it's coming out of iTunes.

They both have optical. The AE's 3.5mm port doubles as optical.

3.5-mm audio minijack for analog or optical digital sound3
https://www.apple.com/airport-express/specs/

Such as this cable (I think, you should double check) 3.5mm mini-TOSLINK to regular TOSLINK.
http://www.amazon.com/TOSLINK-mini-Toslink-FIBER-OPTIC-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00006LVF3

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
I have both

I use both, my AppleTV is connected to my TV, my Airport Express to my iHome.

I stream audio to both, depending on what I'm listening to.

Either will work, though the AE can act as a WiFi repeater and the ATV can stream video, so pick which one is important and run with it.

They're similar in size and weight.

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
I have both and an Airplay receiver and have used them all. For me, the AppleTV route makes less sense as I sometimes want to watch a video and listen to different audio from what's on the video. (i.e. streaming pool match while listening to unrelated music) Other reasons for not using the AppleTV? It gets a "lot" of updates, while there are less for the Airport Express. I guess you could ignore them.

You can generally find an Airport Express used for around $40. I think the first generation was prone to failures, so I'd steer clear of that.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
also, the aTV needs a TV attached to set it up, all menus and setting appear on the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.